So how many miles a week are you running now?

Dusting off an old thread. I'm still running. I made a 2nd attempt at a 50 miler in February, and finished it this time. I've got a marathon coming up this weekend in the town I grew up on. My sister-in-law, 4-5 years older than me, will be doing her first one. It's still fun, I'm not getting hurt, it's keeping me thinner and healthy, so why not? My knees feel great, except for whacking one of them on a stone bench at Lowes this weekend. I hope that feels better in a hurry. I don't think I'd try running a race today.

Ditto that. My running days are over, and I miss it. Running was sort of like meditation for me... enhanced by endorphins.

Back in my salad days (20s and 30s) I ran 9 miles a week, a lap around Austin's Town Lake three times a week.

I was a sprinter in high school: the 100 and 220 yard dashes and sprint relay. (I could run a 9.7 second hundred on a good day.) Our standard workout was to run a 330 (longer than a 220, because the ability to run flat out for the full distance is critical for the 220) then walk the remaining 110 and repeat... 15 times. We had to run the 330 in less than 35 or 36 seconds (memory fails here) or coach made us run it over. Somewhere around number 9 or 10 you generally stepped off the track and barfed, then trotted to catch up with the rest of the gang before the start of the next 330. Then there was a leisurely 880 cool down.

I can't believe we were so dedicated.

Ah..I remember those days of torture on the track. When I was in college, I decided I wanted to train for the 5K as an event. So our distance coach came up with the perfect training aid. Run 400s, the first in 30 seconds and the second in 40 seconds. Repeat until you can't..........:(

We are talking 4:40 miles here, nothing to sniff at..........I think my best was 8 400's at this pace, and then I blew up. however, it did get me running faster in the 5K..........:LOL:

I was an 800 meter runner but I used to train half the time with the 400 meter guys, I also high jumped............:)

This just about sums up me. For a number of years I would participate in an annual charity run with about 40 or 50 others from work in a field of about 5,000. It usually took me a couple of minutes to reach the start line. My personal goal was to run the 5k under 30 mins :cool: One year I managed 26 mins and one year I only squeaked under my target by 30 seconds.

There is a fund raiser 5k on Thanksgiving Day which DW and I will run in. It has been 14 years since actually running in a race but I'm quite keen to have another go.

5 years ago I got "baited" into running a 5K by two women I worked with in their late 20's. They both ran about 40 miles a week so I thought for sure I was going to get smoked.

I put off running until three weeks before the event, then ran some miles so I could finish the race. I ended up running 27 minutes, which was my worst time ever but beat them both by about 40 seconds. They were not amused.............:ROFLMAO:

5 years ago I got "baited" into running a 5K by two women I worked with in their late 20's. They both ran about 40 miles a week so I thought for sure I was going to get smoked.

I put off running until three weeks before the event, then ran some miles so I could finish the race. I ended up running 27 minutes, which was my worst time ever but beat them both by about 40 seconds. They were not amused.............:ROFLMAO:

27 years ago I got "baited" into doing a 42 mile walk across the Yorkshire Moors called the Lye Wake Walk.

My neighbor was a nurse and she told me that she and a bunch of other nurses were planning on doing the walk and would like someone along with some experience of walking. My typical walks were 10 miles max, always with a pub at the end, but the promise of walking with a bunch of fit young nurses won me over.

On the day of the walk DW was in hospital, 6 months pregnant with #2, and resting as she'd had high blood pressure. Baby #1 was an energency C section and she'd had a mis-carriage after that, so they were being very cautious. She insisted I go and not let down the group as they may not have gone without me.

Only 2 of us completed the walk (my neighbor and I) and I did an extra 3 or 4 miles as it looked like we were not going to make it and were well behind schedule so I rushed ahead to the next "meet" point to tell our support person not to worry and that the others would be along shortly, then I went back to help / encourage them.

Although we had agreed to end the attempt we only had 6 miles left and my neighbour really, really wanted to finish it, which we did. I felt great before that last 6 miles but by the time we made it to the last gully and sat down for a break we literally couldn't haul ourselves back up, and got a passing hiker to give us a hand-up. I couldn't believe how much my knees hurt that last 3 miles and was really hobbling badly when we visited DW on the way back.

I had a hot bath, a LONG sleep and was perfectly okay next day. But have never had the urge to do another 15 hour hike.

I'm doing 4 miles, 3 times a week. After a winter on the treadmill, I'm finding running outdoors to be more difficult. The ankle that I broke last year feels sore after every run, but it feels fine after a couple of days off. Not looking at doing any marathons, half marathons or even 10k's. Just want to get a balanced cardio workout with biking and lose 10 pounds

Despite you modesty I think that 9.7 is a great time in the 100 (yards).

It might not get you to state in TX or CA or some of the other more competitive states but it is fast enough to win state in some of the smaller states.

From 1966-1979, that time of 9.7 for the 100 yd dash would put you in the winner's circle at States in Virginia except for 2 or 3 years, in which some freak of nature ran a 9.4. I was trying to check the times in NY State where my brother was a sprinter in high school (200 and 400 yards) and went to the Penn Relays a few years, but I recall a 9.7 time to be exceptionally fast those days.

Back
Top Bottom