Weight training as we age ... NY Times article

Thanks for the reference. I downloaded this from the library and found lots of exercises I would never have though about. I use the gym most of the time but I tend to slack off on vacations which can occasionally go pretty long. About all I could come up with for resistance exercises were push ups. Now I have a bunch of alternatives.

Ditto re Itdontmeanathing's reference to Bodyweight by Mark Lauren. I checked the "ladies" version out. I can do these at home and just use my gym for cardio and classes, and not have to deal with machines at the gym (I get why people like them and that they are effective, but there are usually giant sweaty men on the ones I would use shooting me side-eye looks if I approach too closely).

Nice thread--I enjoy all the responses.

20 minute workout

this workout takes your muscles to exhaustion yet doesn't add bulk.

For the main exercises:

leg press
leg extension
leg curl
bicep curl
shoulder press
tricep press/extension or reverse triceps pull downs
lat pull

Pick five of those and do them for three minutes then move to the next. However move slow, maybe get 10 reps in the 3 minutes - so set weight accordingly.

after that I walk on treadmill 5 minutes or so, then go back to do pull-ups on one day and dips the others - assistance as required.

It's an easy effective workout, although you look a little odd moving so slowly on the reps!

Good luck to all of us with weights and building bone mass - and Happy New Year!

Just adding my 2 cents :)

I am involved in powerlifting (Currently 27 years old),

Whats great is the sport is for ALL ages, ive witnessed 80 year old grandma's still Squatting/Benching/Deadlifting like champs,

While I cant speak to the specific science of it, many of them get into it as it helps bones from deteriorating and can make bone density stronger.

Fun sport look into it, its not so much about competing with other lifters but more competing with yourself. Contrary to what many people think your not killing yourself with heavy weights every workout but slowly progressing every time you go to the gym.

I recommend it :dance:

I competed for years including a bronze medal at Masters Nationals (USAPL) in Palm Springs in the 100 kilo 40-44 year age group back in 2005. But, I haven't competed since 2009 and I seriously need to get back into a regular lifting program. Being a road warrior makes it hard but I was able to do it in the past including 2008 where I spent every week flying into IND for 3 months. I found a gym that had a $50 membership for the first 3 months that had a power room. I'm never in one place for that long any more though.

Back when I lifted regularly, my blood pressure was on the low normal side, my heart rate was less then 60 beats/minute, and I was in great shape. Not any more!

I've been lifting for 30 years, moderately heavily (for a girl). Had my shoulders checked earlier this year and the orthopedic surgeon noted, among other things, that the cartilage in my shoulders was thinning. He said, "We see this in weight lifters." :facepalm:

I had other issues too that I didn't know about, including impingement due to a Type 2 acromion, a small rotator cuff tear (probably from old skiing and martial arts injuries), bone spurs, and a frayed bicep tendon. Weird thing is I never had shoulder pain! All those years of lifting, windsurfing, archery, yardwork, etc., and no pain! I had them checked because I was noticing a slight grinding sensation in my right shoulder when rotating my wrist with my arm extended to the side. Glad I did while I'm still relatively young (54) and have decent health insurance. Had surgery on both shoulders last year, and am recovering nicely. I'll probably stay away from the heavy weights, though.

Back
Top Bottom