Weight/resistance training

friar1610

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I’m 76, exercise regularly although I’m not much on weights. I use dumbbells and only do about 5-7 basic exercises, 2 or 3 sets a session, about 2-3 times per week. At this stage of my life I’m just trying to maintain a decent level of fitness so no chance I will radically change my “commitment” to weights.

During a recent period of physical therapy for a rotator cuff problem I started using the tubular rubber bands with handles and have been continuing with them at home to prevent the RC problem from returning even though the formal PT is all done with and the RC problem stabilized. My question is: is it OK to do one of my modest dumbbell routines one day and a band routine the next with the third day off? Or should I take a day off between a dumbbell day and a band day? (Assume I’m using both dumbbells and bands for the same muscle groups). I know the general rule is a day off between weight days but not sure how that applies to bands.

Any insight from more experienced/knowledgeable resistance trainers would be most appreciated.

I don't have an answer for you, just more questions. Body builders like to take a day off between workouts, but I'm sure they strain their muscles more than you are doing. I don't know if older muscle with less of a workout need that rest anyway or not.
But, just do what ever this lady does.

I take at least a day off between weight training sessions for recovery. I do other exercises on the non-weight days some of which engage the same muscles, just not with weights.

I would think 2 days resistance 1 day rest is probably fine. You’ll know it’s too much if you injure yourself again - oops!

Last edited:
It's not worth it to me to risk injury, so I lift once every 4th day. And not too heavy.

I run and do yardwork the other 3 days.

I don't want to try to heal from a lifting injury at the age of 58.

I do resistance training every other day, with dumb bells for bicep curls and wide resistance bands for all the other exercises. I do cardio 6-7 times a week, mostly walking some biking and paddling. I'm 67 so I don't know what it's like to be 76 yet, but I wouldn't think dumb bells would be any better or worse than resistance bands IF they're equivalent resistance (e.g. heavy dumb bells and easy resistance bands) - since both include target and associated stabilizer muscles, very good exercise vs weights on tracks. Best of luck, some resistance/weight bearing exercise is MUCH better than cardio alone for muscle strength, flexibility.

I don't have an answer for you, just more questions. Body builders like to take a day off between workouts, but I'm sure they strain their muscles more than you are doing. I don't know if older muscle with less of a workout need that rest anyway or not.
But, just do what ever this lady does.

Great story!

You can bet that lady knows how to be careful to protect herself from injury.

Injury recovery does take a lot longer when you are senior+

I must say also that the skin tone on her arms looks just amazing for someone in their 80s.

I had a rotator cuff problem about 40 years ago, but ignored it. My Chiropractor noticed it a couple of years ago when he saw that one of my shoulder blades would not lay flat on the table when I was lying on my back.

He also said that bench presses are not good for those with rotator cuff issues. IIRC, he said that the bench press exercise tends to pull the shoulder forward. Wish I would have asked him for some advice on this. I do incline dumbbell presses as part of my workout and it doesn't bother me.

I'm not a trainer or a doctor. But I do weights/resistance on a regular basis, 2-4 times a week. I generally skip a day after a session, but not infrequently I will do 2 days in a row. On that second day I will be more careful and not push myself. To the specific question, I see no problem in using the elastic bands and dumbbells on consecutive days....especially if you take that 3rd day off.
I had a nasty shoulder injury after a fall from a bike. Once I was predominantly recovered, I resumed my exercises and those elastic bands were the crucial element to get me fully healed. I encourage you, one way or the other, to start the band exercises on a regular basis.

A few general comments.

I would ask the physical therapist who worked with you on the rotator cuff. They are most likely to know what will work for you specifically.

In part it depends on how taxing your exercise is. You rest between resistance workouts because you make little tiny tears in the muscle that need to repair. The heavier the weights being used the more rest people typically need.

Resistance workouts are not really different on this than weights. It really depends on how much resistance you are using I would think. If you are using a light band that is very easy for you and doesn't provide much resistance then you might not need as much rest.

The typical recommendation is at least one day between resistance workouts and I think that applies no matter if you are using weights or bands. Older people heal more slowly and sometimes need more time.

If it was me it would depend on whether I felt the resistance bands were giving me a sufficient resistance workout that I needed to rest for a day or more between them.

I might look at my progress and how I felt with the amount of rest between sessions and see if I needed to increase it or if I could cut it. But, as an older person, the best thing would be to take more rest if there was any doubt. In real life, though, I would just call the physical therapist and ask.

I'll have a go at this because I exercise a lot. But, I am more confident giving advice for making a peanut butter and banana sandwich than the best way to exercise. Both share one thing, there is no right answer.

I think the advice provided in many places for a rest day is based on strain, not simply doing the exercise. When I was 65 playing b-ball with 25 year old players, I felt the pain in my legs and needed a day off. Even without a day off, I really never hurt myself but I did not feel good. When I played with a 50+ group, I could have played everyday.

OP, I think the exercise you describe could be done daily. You will feel the need to rest if you have done too much. Let your body talk to you.

Your concern likely should not be frequency. I would spend my time on form. Ronstar's comment about his change of form on the bench press resonated with my thoughts about weights/bands/etc. Make sure you are doing them right and eliminate the ones that can cause problems, like a press over your head for example. That is no longer in my program.

I have taken up the full body, no weights, 7 minute work out and supplement it with some other things. I try to do it daily since each rep is 30 seconds. I add some muscle groups given my activity. This being biking season, I will do a wall squat and use a weighted barbell and add 10 squats. And a few other exercises like that, especially for my legs. If I am tired and feel I might hurt myself, I skip that day

Its good you are doing something. That is the most important thing.

Great to hear you are exercising. If it’s a light workout weight/strain wise, I think you should go any day you can fit it in. Atrophy is the enemy!

Any form of resistance training (bands, weights, bodyweight) that taxes you muscles requires at least a full day in between to recover and rebuild. If you aren't taxing yourself too much then you're not getting much benefit at all, other than just getting tired. So it's best, even if you're not going to failure and just maintaining, to still allow a break.

And if you can still feel the muscles a little sore or tight after a full day, then adding an extra day of rest is fine too. You can do other muscle groups on your off days since you're doing targeted stuff.

So it's best to do your band exercises after your weights on the same day. Much like how powerlifters work in accessory stuff on the same group/day.

If you go for a vigorous walk, would you recommend not walking the next day?

Based on OP’s original comments, he is not lifting like Arnold or Lou. He is probably using the same weights each time (not increasing each week) and in his own words maintaining. He also said 2-3 days a week. I basically do the same.

For those reasons, i say the day of rest is a bit over cautious. Most folks in this case would be better to go from 2-3 days a week to 4 days and not worry to much about the schedule as there are still 3 rest days. If you get some soreness, then switch it up.

Keep moving! If you are not living you are dying.

I'd take some advice from the internet. But since few of us are doctors, PTs or even know anything about your overall health considerations I'd think you'd want just slightly more professional thoughts. YMMV

Thanks very much to all who responded. Looks like there’s a variety of opinions on the subject (reminds me of threads on international investing). Think I’ll just try to do the best I can within the bounds of moderation and common sense while making sure that over the course of a week I get a good balance of weights/resistance, cardio, stretching and brisk walking while listening to any feedback from my aging body. Sorta like a Target Date/Life Cycle fund approach to exercise.

I generally start my workouts, after some rowing machine warmups, with elastic tubing shoulder exercises, and then proceed to my resistance work. I work out 3X week, am 72, and just trying to maintain a decent level of fitness. No longer out to train like a power lifter or bodybuilder. I do not see why you could not do both the same day.

I generally start my workouts, after some rowing machine warmups, with elastic tubing shoulder exercises, and then proceed to my resistance work. I work out 3X week, am 72, and just trying to maintain a decent level of fitness. No longer out to train like a power lifter or bodybuilder. I do not see why you could not do both the same day.

Funny you should mention that. Just the other day my late-60s neighbor, who is more of a weight lifter than I ever was, mentioned that he’s been using bands more and weights less recently because of aches and pains. He specifically recommended using bands/tubes as a warm-up to weights.

I also second your other warm-up practice. I routinely alternate using my rowing machine or Nordic Track X-C machine for a 15 minute warm-up before any workout.

Back
Top Bottom