Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #261
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Well, things seem to be stuck at BCBS for some reason....

And when I call, the wait time is over 60 minutes... sooooo, still in limbo.... what a great way to run such a big part of the economy....

I did get in touch with the dental insurance (on hold for only 20 or so minutes) and was able to make my first payment, so we are covered there....
I finally got my ID from BCBS NC, but it took paying the first month twice (they simply lost my first CC payment, so had to let them draft my bank...yikes!). Then they sent me my first monthly bill dated 3/26 with a due date of 3/1. BCBS:HUA

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2014, 11:46 PM   #262
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I finally got my ID from BCBS NC, but it took paying the first month twice (they simply lost my first CC payment, so had to let them draft my bank...yikes!). Then they sent me my first monthly bill dated 3/26 with a due date of 3/1. BCBS:HUA

There is an online status of the process... and mine has been sitting there for 18 days... they say 5 to 10 days.... was calling to see what the problem is, but call volume is so high they just do not get to you... seems no way to send an email to find out either...

I could live with paying twice as that would get fixed eventually.... not knowing if you have insurance or not is not good...

Old 03-29-2014, 01:32 AM   #263
Recycles dryer sheets

I decided at the beginning of the month that I was leaving my job. I signed up for ACA before the 15th, so it would be in effect by 4/1. Had a little snafu at first, in that I listed my coverage thru work ending 4/1, and so the online app wanted to have the ACA coverage in effect 5/1. Changed my old coverage to end 3/31 (which it will), and this second time through the online app, the ACA had the desired effective date of 4/1. Paid first payment by CC, to have it processed quickly. Already have my ID. Was pretty painless for me. Maybe they are starting to get the bugs worked out...
Old 03-29-2014, 02:20 AM   #264

So can people sign up between April and October too?

I know they had some kind of deadline to the end of this month and next year's signup begins in the fall, like Open Enrollment.

But surely they would take people who want to enroll in the summer months?
Old 03-29-2014, 06:15 AM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
So can people sign up between April and October too?

I know they had some kind of deadline to the end of this month and next year's signup begins in the fall, like Open Enrollment.

But surely they would take people who want to enroll in the summer months?
Here's a list of qualifying events that allow you to get a new policy outside of the annual open enrollment period. http://www.hr.mnscu.edu/insurance/do..._Life_Even.pdf
Old 03-29-2014, 09:00 AM   #266
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm at a different state, but with BCBS too and they finally got my payment preference right. In my case, I want them to take the payment monthly from my checking. When I signed up and after subsequent phone calls, I was told that was taken cared of. Finally, the draft is scheduled starting April.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
There is an online status of the process... and mine has been sitting there for 18 days... they say 5 to 10 days.... was calling to see what the problem is, but call volume is so high they just do not get to you... seems no way to send an email to find out either..
Yeah, I'm with ya on the imbalance between call volume and call handlers! And same here: absolutely no way to do anything through another channel (i.e. email)...only call and wait, and wait, and wait.

When I did get through (required waiting through another call queue), they thanked me for being proactive with making sure I had paid! Since I had not got my ID yet, I wanted "proof" that I was insured. I'm pretty sure if I had not called, they'd have cancelled my policy.

So as for the lessons for ACA sign-up, I have a feeling that the new ACA call volume has the potential to swamp the insurance sellers. I was asked multiple times and on multiple calls "did you request the policy on the healthcare.gov site" (yes). That tells me that the internal order processing at the insurer is significantly different than if they sold you the policy directly. Supposedly, though, no matter how the policy was acquired, the service you get at a health care provider and the service you get at the insurance company should be the same. I'd be really steamed if I were a long-time customer, used to reasonable response when I called, and now I'm getting such degraded service.

I hope you get your situation aligned, TP. Looking for a "success" post here!
Old 03-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
...Finally, the draft is scheduled starting April.
Yeah, they have indicated various things to me that didn't pan-out, so I'd double check that. I should have been from Missouri, the 'show me' state, hehe, because I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #269
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I was curious as to what premiums you were seeing with a catastrophic plan. We don't even have one being offered. I have bronze but from what I can see it would not be much different than a catastrophic ( deductible, OOP is the same ). And no tax credits for a catastrophic plans.

ACA Bronze Tier Health Insurance vs. Catastrophic Plans - US News
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
For a couple, the bronze plan is $683 a month. The cat plan is $427. The benefits, Max OOPs etc are broadly similar. The only real downside to the cat plan is that it is not HSA eligible whereas the bronze plan is HSA eligible, but I don't consider being able to contribute to my HSA worth paying $3,100 more a year in premium.

Subsidy is not a factor for us as our Roth conversions take us over 400% FPL.
Now that I think of it, premiums in our state are not age-rated (do not vary by age, like group insurance rates) so that may be the reason why there is a big difference in our case and less of a difference in other states.

I suspect that the carriers priced the cat plans assuming insured in their 20s and may not have anticipated that very many older than 30 people would be able to buy the cat plan.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #270
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, they have indicated various things to me that didn't pan-out, so I'd double check that. I should have been from Missouri, the 'show me' state, hehe, because I'll believe it when I see it.
I did go my BCBS's site and check that an ACH draft got initiated and for the proper amount. So, hopefully it's smooth sailing. At least for now.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Here's a list of qualifying events that allow you to get a new policy outside of the annual open enrollment period. http://www.hr.mnscu.edu/insurance/do..._Life_Even.pdf
Thanks, no explicit mention of early retirement but presumably #12, COBRA qualifying event, would be applicable.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #272

For those of you that have successfully signed up have you actually used the insurance yet? If so was the process at the Doctor office, hospital, etc basically the same as in the past or is there a new "attitude" at the actual treatment site?
Old 04-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #273

BCBSTX is all screwed up again. After I went through a lot of drama to confirm my enrollment, my first two premium payments went through like a breeze and I quickly saw them posted to my account. On February 25 I paid the March premium online through my checking account. It's still not posted. I've sent messages to them and got a call from someone there (again using social media to bypass the phone hell) ensuring me that yes, they have record of my March payment. But still with no confirmation on my statement or account records online, I don't have a very warm fuzzy.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #274
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
For those of you that have successfully signed up have you actually used the insurance yet? If so was the process at the Doctor office, hospital, etc basically the same as in the past or is there a new "attitude" at the actual treatment site?
Why would you expect that it be any different? Its just health insurance.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:44 PM   #275
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
100% The same, they dont care. I'm very happy with my policy, my insurance is cheaper, same great level of service as Megacorp's insurance was.
MRG
Old 04-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #276
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
BCBSTX is all screwed up again. After I went through a lot of drama to confirm my enrollment, my first two premium payments went through like a breeze and I quickly saw them posted to my account. On February 25 I paid the March premium online through my checking account. It's still not posted. I've sent messages to them and got a call from someone there (again using social media to bypass the phone hell) ensuring me that yes, they have record of my March payment. But still with no confirmation on my statement or account records online, I don't have a very warm fuzzy.

It seems that a bunch of people like me decided to sign up later... for some reason they picked Mar 3rd as a date where they started to do things different... I can go online and see my 'status'.... but if you call it is over an hour before you get someone (at least that is what they say)...

I did call on Sat and talked to someone and was told my application was on 'hold'... could not explain what that meant nor why it was there... but, today it has been processed!!! It now says about 6 days before getting our cards and THEN I make a payment....

SOOOOOO, I think I have finally signed up.... but still not sure....
Old 04-01-2014, 04:57 PM   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Thanks, no explicit mention of early retirement but presumably #12, COBRA qualifying event, would be applicable.
They did omit early retirement, but if you had employer coverage and lose it because you quit or retire that is a qualifying event and you can get coverage outside of the open enrollment period.

Quote:
You may find some helpful responses in this thread ACA / Early Retirement / How is it working for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
We had issues with the March payment that took a couple of weeks to resolve, and in the meantime they called us 14 times with a robo-call about overdue payment.

The LA Times ran an article (here) that references a Rand study, including this
Quote:
About 9 million people have bought health plans directly from insurers, instead of using the marketplaces, Rand found. The vast majority of these people were previously insured.
This is the first hard estimate I've seen, and if it is correct it would explain many of the responsiveness and administrative issues we are seeing with the insurers.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:26 PM   #278

If you missed the sign-up... per the "honor system" you get a second chance.

here...
My Way News - Missed the health care deadline? It's not too late
Old 04-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #279
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
My ID card contains a 'Plan Code' but does not indicate if I purchased the private health plan through the new marketplace website, directly from the insurance company, or from an insurance agent.

My new card's 'Plan Code' is the same as what's on my old card from my former employer's group plan. Both are from the same insurer with the same provider network.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #280
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes, I am signed up for insurance through my state exchange.

I have the same insurance provider now as I had last year (pre-ACA), Kaiser Permanente.

I recently saw my primary care physician (same physician pre-ACA) for a routine physical exam. The process, attitudes, etc. were precisely the same as pre-ACA. No distinction whatsoever.