Were you successful in the ACA signup

I asked the guy that question but got a vague, "To remain eligible to buy a plan through the NY Marketplace...." boilerplate response. I did not press him on it because it seemed fruitless.

It may be they have to have it for medicaid screening. I recall if medicaid eligible then you don't qualify for any subsidy if you buy an exchange plan. State run exchange may do things different

So, after I uploaded my 1040A form a few weeks ago, I got ANOTHER letter from the NY Marketplace telling me the information I sent them was insufficient. I called them this morning and the rep told me they needed 1099 forms, not my 1040A form. [I had actually sent them my annual statement, not any 1099s because the annual statement was already out while the 1099s had not yet been produced in early January.] But when I told the rep my personal situation, how I did not seek any aid on my monthly payments, the rep told me I could ignore the letter but they would keep on coming every month.

When I asked him what triggered the letters to begin with, it was because I had selected "financial assistance" in the application. I told him I did that so I could see what the estimated subsidy would be on an annual basis and that choosing not to have it offset part of my monthly premium was my preferred option. He understood that and told me if I had changed the "financial assistance" option, my monthly premium might (he was not sure) have been higher. I replied that if the choice is to pay a higher premium (which I would find odd given that I have been paying my monthly premium since January) and not receive the stupid monthly letters versus pay the current premium and keep getting the stupid monthly letters, I would opt for the latter.

The whole thing is pretty silly, the way the NY Marketplace can't seem to grasp the idea that someone might want a subsidy-eligible plan through the Marketplace without the monthly assistance to the premium payments, making any proof of income moot. So, as I told the rep, I'll just keep getting the letters every month and just laugh at them and ignore them.

Your rep was clueless. The premium is not dependent on whether or when you receive a subsidy; just age, smoking status and selected level of coverage.

A question - has anyone here over 30 but eligible to buy a catastrophic policy because their previous coverage was cancelled or the lowest cost bronze plan was unaffordable (greater than 8% of MAGI) been able to successfully buy a catastrophic policy?

I've been trying to do that for almost 6 months and have been stonewalled at every turn. Long story short, the feds are telling my state exchange that they cannot allow me to by a catastrophic policy unless I get an exemption certificate, but at the same time the feds acknowledge that they are not processing exemption applications (I sent mine in back in late December).

So I'm just looking to see if anyone has pursued this option and been successful or whether it is just vaporware that exists in theory but not in practice.

The exchanges are still rough and folks working them don't always answer questions correctly. The process is still like playing darts with the lights out, you're going to hit something, you just don't know what.

Back
Top Bottom