Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm usually getting up about 5:15 and going to the pool for a water exercise class. It's a habit I've had for a number of years and I hope to keep with it. Then it's read the newspaper, have a cup of tea, and breakfast. The mid-morning classes would take care of the better part of the morning. For now I like the early morning schedule and the freedom of the rest of the day. Retirement is great!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I think it is great to have some rules in retirement .Mine are
1- No Happy Hours before five
It's five o'clock somewhere....

Old 10-22-2010, 10:20 PM   #23

A great thing about being retired is being able to do exactly what suits you, and let's face it, we're all different. I used to resent that alarm going off at 5:30 every weekday because I had to earn a living, but now that I'm setting it by choice to do things I want to do, it's no problem
Old 10-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Since retiring I have not used an alarm clock once but I wake everyday around sunrise as the pup and I go on our morning run at that time, rain or shine. Before retirement I usually needed to be up at 4:30 due to a long commute, now it might be as early as 5:30 or as late as 7:00 due to time of year (and daylight savings). It is rather nice to not need an alarm anymore.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
Since retiring I have not used an alarm clock once but I wake everyday around sunrise as the pup and I go on our morning run at that time, rain or shine. Before retirement I usually needed to be up at 4:30 due to a long commute, now it might be as early as 5:30 or as late as 7:00 due to time of year (and daylight savings). It is rather nice to not need an alarm anymore.
The pup is a good alarm clock. Varies between 6:00-6:30. But it's ok. I feed him, drink some coffee, have breakfast, cruise the internet, and around 8:15 we go our walk. Then around 9:00, I head to the golf course. Well, I go to the golf course about 4 days a week. The other days I take the mutt on a hike some where.

So I have an early schedule that includes some exercise. But not as intense as Alan's. But I also take the mutt on a good long walk late in the day, so I think I get enough exercise. Seems to be enough to help keep off the 10lbs I lost this year. Would like to lose about 3 more pounds though.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
A great thing about being retired is being able to do exactly what suits you, and let's face it, we're all different. I used to resent that alarm going off at 5:30 every weekday because I had to earn a living, but now that I'm setting it by choice to do things I want to do, it's no problem
Exactly!

One of the best things around here is the early morning light on all the beautiful flowering plants in my yard and all over the neighborhood. It's a lovely time to go for a walk or a bike ride. I don't want to miss it! That's why I set the alarm.

And in the morning if I decide that I want to sleep in - I do!

Audrey
Old 10-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #27

Sheesh Alan, I feared the worst when I read the headline...that maybe you had to go back to w*rk to get your structure back!

Glad it is just to do what you want instead! I love the idea of riding the bike to the gym or the coffee shop for breakfast with DW...gonna have to do at when we finally pull the plug.

R
Old 10-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Sheesh Alan, I feared the worst when I read the headline...that maybe you had to go back to w*rk to get your structure back!

Glad it is just to do what you want instead! I love the idea of riding the bike to the gym or the coffee shop for breakfast with DW...gonna have to do at when we finally pull the plug.

R
We just bought a new bike for DW's birthday. While in England and Canada we hired bikes on 4 different occaisions and she found the type of bike and gears she really liked. We are now coming into the seasons here where we increase the frequency of our bike rides as the weather cools off.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:15 PM   #29

Good for you Alan. This is great news.

Quote:
But man, I feel great, including my joints.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of alarm clocks, I've found an excellent app for iPad called Magic Window. It plays time lapse video with audio of a scene of your choosing. I like to set my alarm for sunrise over a lake, with the waves gently lapping. It's a very relaxing way to start the day.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Speaking of alarm clocks, I've found an excellent app for iPad called Magic Window. It plays time lapse video with audio of a scene of your choosing. I like to set my alarm for sunrise over a lake, with the waves gently lapping. It's a very relaxing way to start the day.
How cool!

I thought of waves but went for birds. I'm still enjoying awakening to the sounds of birdsongs (on CD, played by my DreamMachine alarm clock instead of the usual buzzer).

The sweet morning songs of robins and sparrows awaken me ever so gently and put me in a great mood. You can listen to them on the amazon page for the CD, on track 1: Amazon.com: Songbirds: A Surround Sound Experience [SACD]: Dan Gibson: Music
I don't know why I love awakening this way so much! I know birdsongs annoy most people in the morning, but not me. I usually listen to the CD for 5-10 minutes before I get up.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Speaking of alarm clocks, I've found an excellent app for iPad called Magic Window. It plays time lapse video with audio of a scene of your choosing.
We have one of those outside of our bedroom window, but it's on its own timer...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ko'olau sunrise.JPG (351.8 KB, 4 views)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Great photo Nords! I have a pretty nice view too and love to wake to natural light, which is great at this time of year. However, as a w*rking chick, sometimes I have to get up before dawn, especially in December when I am catching 6 am flights!
Old 07-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #34

Alan, thats and impressive workout schedule! Perhaps adding a Microsoft Project Plan to go with the alarm clock would provide an even greater level of structure for you two ex-engineers
Old 07-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
This is so true! I did a sabbatical over the summer of 2010. It was amazing I'd get up on average at least an hour earlier than I did for work because there was so much fun to do. Besides I could always take a nap latter if needed!! lol. Sadly, retirement is a loooong ways off so I won't be doing it again anytime soon.