What do you do/take for hand arthritis?

mhk7

Dryer sheet aficionado
I have arthritis in my hands and would like to know what you use to get chores done and what you use to take away the pain.

I just started using custom splints. I use DMSO and a generic Bengay. I wrap one finger that has really bad arthritis. I take curcumin, MSM, vitamin C, etc.

Just want to know if there is something more/better out there. Would love to know if anyone had any non-steroid injections such as hyaluronic acid. I have had several prolotherapy sessions. They did help but get expensive and the doctor didn't seems to think anymore would help.

Thanks for any input!

One of my friends has bad hand arthritis and she swears by CBD lotion .It has really helped her mobility .

Could you find out what kind your friend uses and where I can buy it? Thanks!

I would recommend trying a grain-free low carb diet like the "wheatbelly" diet (undoctored.com). This approach can produce improvements for many/most inflammatory conditions. It's not a quick fix (though you might well see improvements of symptoms in a matter of weeks/months) but comes with other health benefits too, so well worth a shot.

I use a CBD ointment with THC. I tried some without it but it didn’t work.

Laugh if you want—snake venom balm (or scorpion venom) from Thailand. Search on Ebay. Sort of like Ben-Gay, but doesn't smell bad. Not a cure, but seems to work better for me than U.S. topicals.

Were you diagnosed with osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis?

keep my hands warm (love hand washing dishes!)
take naprosyn or motrin
Take Angel Hemp CBD drops orally and Dragons Blend THC balm topically

Wonderful to have so many suggestions! I have osteoarthritis. I have one finger which is my 'demon' that I hurt initally when playing softball and volleyball. I didn't have any pain until I started remodeling and gardening work 30 years later. I kept going even though it hurt thinking it was like other aches and pains...stupid...stupid.

Thanks!

NSAIDs (when necessary) and a squeezy rubber ball. It's what my Dad used, and my hands are exactly like his.

My brother recently complained to me about the arthritis in his fingers and the difficulty it was giving him, so I did a little research. There's really not a lot that can be done. Arthritis is a chronic, progressive, debilitating, incurable disease. Methods already mentioned can bring some temporary relief. What surprised me in my research is that they can do finger joint replacement for severe cases. Whodathunk they replace finger joints? I had never heard of that before.

My wife is the poster girl for arthritis. Her topical pain reliever is over the counter lidocaine lotion with Volteran gel applied on top of that. She also takes a very strong CBD oil by mouth which also helps.

Am not a doctor, but suffer from hand pain that comes from peripheral neuropathy... Was misdiagnosed as arthritis, then carpal tunnel syndrome, which occasioned an operation... to no effect.

The pain is almost constant, but bearable. I take Gabapentin which helps, but doesn't eliminate.

Here's an interesting link that covers different causes.

https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/guide/hand-pain-causes#1

... and a different link that details peripheral neuropathy.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/peripheral-neuropathy/symptoms-causes/syc-20352061

While I definitely have peripheral neuropathy, it is not caused by arthritis... and despite the fact that in most people it starts in the feet, that has not happened to me.
The other part is that I do not suffer from diabetes.

:) the hands are enough!

Last edited:
I second the recommendation for a low carb grain free diet.
Also make sure you include a handful or two of blueberries every day
that, plus an occasional naproxen sodium dose, at least until the diet/berries starts to help
should do the trick

I use diclofenac sodium topical gel. It's great stuff.

If you can get your insurance to pay for it, Voltaren is pretty helpful, along with CBD oil.

I also use Baoding balls to keep my hands limber. I prefer mine that have chimes, but some people don't want all that noise.

Last edited:
My wife has pretty bad osteoarthritis in her hands. One thing that she says has helped her is collagen peptides (basically a form of protein). It comes in powder form, and you can put a spoonful in your morning coffee, or in a smoothie or whatever. It is supposed to be relatively tasteless. The cost is not too bad, so it may be worth a try. I think she said it took a while to see positive results, so you have to be patient. It is supposed to improve your skin, hair, and nails also. I think this is the brand she buys:

https://www.iherb.com/pr/NuNaturals-Collagen-Peptides-14-oz-397-g/81518

Here is a link to a study where they found that collagen peptides were effective at relieving joint pain from osteoarthritis (at least in some people).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24852756

latexman said:
I use diclofenac sodium topical gel. It's great stuff.

I tried this for the first time in Europe several years ago when I had hurt myself and the local farmacista recommended it. It's sold over the counter under the brand name Voltaren Emulgel. It's a topical NSAID. I find it effective, and it does not have the side effect of irritating the stomach since it is applied to the skin. Only about 5% ever enters the blood stream. My understanding is that the emulgel version contains a DMSO type ingredient that allows it to penetrate farther into the body than normal.

I tried to get it in the USA, but to my surprise found it is prescription only - at about 5x to 10x the cost. :mad: It's a great example of why USA medical care is so much more expensive than other 1st World countries.

If you want to completely cure it, here's our formula to make it go away:

1) Collagen Peptides - we take the Orgain brand (also eliminates my eye wrinkles and thickens my hair). We bought at Costco. take 20 grams per day. It will actually restore and rebuild your cartilage and strengthen your joints. This is much more effective than Chrondiotin, MSM, etc.

https://www.orgain.com/protein/collagen-peptides/collagen-peptides.html?from=Catalog#851770007276

2) Cannabis Hemp Hot Cream - Zatural brand. We bought at Amazon. Apply externally. This is highly effective for eliminating arthritic pain quickly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GSDSJ8K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

3) This third solution works - but is expensive. It will however replace any physical therapist for the next 5-10 years. It is called the Inada Flex 3S - it will massage your hands and heat it up. It is one of the few chairs that will compress your hands and legs and heat it up .. like a Heat Stone Massage. I bought it to correct my spine, but it also cured my carpal tunnel and hand arthritis. Also cured my lower back pain.

Flex 3s | Inada USA

4) Many here already mentioned CBD oil .. the external Cannabis Hemp is more effective, but we also take this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6WXR7Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Last edited:
Love all the responses!...it gives me lots of ideas, several I've already ordered...my doctors told me to come back in 10 years when the pain is so severe I can't tolerate it any longer and they would do a joint replacement but since finger joint replacements don't work very well they said I would be dissatisfied with the joint if they were to replace it now. I appreciate their honesty but they didn't tell me how to relieve the pain until then.

Has anyone ordered a hand massager...I really liked the chair but can't quite afford that...:) I found this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NDF3ZGQ/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1

Thanks!

Celebrex for me - 100mg in AM & 100 in PM. Works well for the pain which is above knuckles. Unfortunately it also gives me mushy & frequent poop (sorry for being graphic) which doc says is unusual.

1500 mg psyllium fiber capsules at lunch bring the digestive process back to normal.

+3 for a low carb diet. As part of a LC diet I gave up grains. My hand pain stopped. When I do occasionally eat grains (wheat) it comes back.

Back
Top Bottom