What was Your Workout Today?

My daughter's been hanging out with them, and she's starting to get sucked into the lifestyle.

It's like watching someone learn a foreign language and then having them practice it on you.

A frend and former coworker has taken triathlons up. She is the thinnest and fittest I have ever seen her. I don't know how people do this stuff, especially over 40.

xyz said:
Starting training for a half ironman... did a brick today 20 miles on the bike followed immediately by a 4 mile run... Any triathletes out there? No swimming for the next 3 weeks so will do weights on alternate days.

Good luck on the half ironman. I'm thinking about doing one. I did a sprint triathlon last year, but it seemed like too much of a sprint. I think a half ironman would be just about right. A full ironman is a little too much.

Four mile run this morning done.. Will do cal's and full body lifting workout this afternoon. Brewer.. What do you do hiking in elevations with all that equipment? Are you hunting? Ronstar.. I did a couple of sprints and I will do them to practice raceing but I saw the Ironman championship while I was in Hawaii a couple of years ago and found out they run a half Ironman in the same area on the island. I love Kohala and they run one in June over a part of the championship course. I haven't decided yet if I will do it in 2013 or 2014. I know I will be able to make the distance by June but I would perfer to really race it and really enjoy the course.

The Hawaii tri looks like a great course and can be tied into a vacation. But it could be a little warm for me. I'm looking for one with little slope, cool - maybe in late summer or early fall - maybe Madison Wi or Louisville. Probably 2014. I'll need at least a year of swimming under my belt first.

Good workout yesterday:

DLs (normally do rack pulls, but did these from ground 275 lb)
Squats
Calf raises
Step-ups
Leg curls
Crunches

My new gym has a lot more options for me to explore and there are more members/trainers who are super physically fit, which gives me additional ideas and extra motivation.

Brewer.. What do you do hiking in elevations with all that equipment? Are you hunting?

Looking for mule deer in the Rockies. The problem I am confronting is that I am by myself and the area I am hunting is vast. I am beginning to conclude my chances of success are not that high, especally as I am inexperienced. I don't want to take risks with the weather, so I decided not to go today as the weather is single digits, blowing snow, etc. Will try again tomorrow when things will be settled down a bit.

Next year I will try for a tag that allows me to hunt somewhere flatter and earlier in the year.

During the past three weeks since I last posted on this thread, have hardly exercised. I had painful borderline rotator cuff issues, two episodes of severe, incapacitating stomach flu, one episode of exhausting regular flu in between them, sudden excruciating back/hip pain necessitating complete rest with icepacks, and then the dental bone graft. I'm sure I have forgotten something!

Anyway, hopefully all my physical ailments and problems occurred all at once so that I will be healthy for years, now. :2funny: The various flus are gone. My hip still hurts, but less, and I am still resting after my bone graft but barring the unforeseen I will get back to the gym tomorrow. I hardly know where to start after such a long hiatus but anything will be an improvement.

Weight lifting, Concept2, treadmill, and seated elliptical are some of the gym activities that seem appealing to me right now. Anything would be an improvement and I am sure that no matter what I pick, tomorrow will be fun.

Only 10 laps in the pool today (about .3 mile).

The pool heater at the gym had been slowly escaping it's way to Florida where it doesn't have to work too hard. Today, (Sunday) it was on full hiatus. The replacement parts are in, maybe the plumber will show up on Monday.

Anyway, water was in the high 60's (room temperature). Brrrrr.

-- Rita

During the past three weeks since I last posted on this thread, have hardly exercised. I had painful borderline rotator cuff issues, two episodes of severe, incapacitating stomach flu, one episode of exhausting regular flu in between them, sudden excruciating back/hip pain necessitating complete rest with icepacks, and then the dental bone graft. I'm sure I have forgotten something!

Anyway, hopefully all my physical ailments and problems occurred all at once so that I will be healthy for years, now. :2funny: The various flus are gone. My hip still hurts, but less, and I am still resting after my bone graft but barring the unforeseen I will get back to the gym tomorrow. I hardly know where to start after such a long hiatus but anything will be an improvement.

Weight lifting, Concept2, treadmill, and seated elliptical are some of the gym activities that seem appealing to me right now. Anything would be an improvement and I am sure that no matter what I pick, tomorrow will be fun.

Sorry to hear about the shoulder and all those illnesses, but glad you are on the mend. Lighten up and maybe go for more reps as you work your way back to where you were.

Sorry to hear about the shoulder and all those illnesses, but glad you are on the mend. Lighten up and maybe go for more reps as you work your way back to where you were.

That is good advice. Thanks.

- 10 min. of aerobic stretching.
- 45 min. resistance training session on my original 1994 BowFlex. Love that machine. I rotate through 3 different workout sets to hit all of my muscle groups. I was doing 4-5 sets a week, but backed off to 2-3 sets/week. I follow this with 10-15 min. of using my VacuPractor.
- 1.5 mile brisk walk 3-4 times a week.
- Working on boat, cars, and other hobbies that seem to now demand "physical" exertion...... at least to my back. Boy, I never knew how soft my hands were until I retired! Being "on the tools" is a big change from management. :p
- Ocassional hunting, which is probably my best overall workout!

I have had muscle issues since I started working out after I retired. Initially, neck, back, and shoulder. I'm now just down to an occassional shoulder pain. I did two things: 1) Got off my low dose of statins, as I think my normal cholesterol of 190, LDL 115 is OK and I hate any drugs, 2) Backed off of the BowFlex resistance training.

I think I'm finding that my muscles need more healing time than the 4-5 workouts a week allowed. And they need cholesterol. Anybody else think that?

Went out for my morning run this morning and after about .25 miles had incredible foot pain in my left foot.. Not sure what happened maybe a stress fracture .. Dang...things were going too good... will see the Dr. if pain persists today. I've dropped 62 pounds in the past 5 months so I am not going to let this stop progress. Will have to watch those calories carefully.

Saturday I finished week 3 of the C25K program. Did intervals of walking and running for a total of 4.03km in 27 minutes. Then did my RevAbs strength session + abs session. Total of 1152 calories burned that day.

Sunday I painted for a few hours.

Looking for mule deer in the Rockies. The problem I am confronting is that I am by myself and the area I am hunting is vast. I am beginning to conclude my chances of success are not that high, especally as I am inexperienced. I don't want to take risks with the weather, so I decided not to go today as the weather is single digits, blowing snow, etc. Will try again tomorrow when things will be settled down a bit.

Next year I will try for a tag that allows me to hunt somewhere flatter and earlier in the year.

In SE AZ we have Mule deer up to about 5000 ft, any higher than that and we get White-tails Coues subspecies. A big Coues buck may just go over 100 lbs, but not much. My property hosts both, but primarily mule deer. My place is one of the few around that also get the 3 quails, Gambels, Scaled, and Mearns AKA Montezumas quail.

I don't hunt or eat meat, but with 12/21/2012 coming up I may just get a taste for game.

16km run yesterday in -4degC weather. Cold but nice. About 2/3 road, 1/3 trail. Took it nice and easy to rest a hip twinge from last weeks 10K race. Trying to get back into the habit with the chinups and pushups. A friend almost has me talked into doing the P90X this winter.
Not sure I want three months of cold, dark mornings of punishing myself... lol

Starting training for a half ironman... did a brick today 20 miles on the bike followed immediately by a 4 mile run... Any triathletes out there? No swimming for the next 3 weeks so will do weights on alternate days.

I've been hoping to do one for a while. I envy our 62# weight loss, and hope to achieve some of that myself after my retirement and the holidays. I don't think I'll ever do the half ironman, or even the Olympic...I'll stick to the sprint distance, although I am not very fast. It's more of an accomplishment thing for me, than a race. This week and last week I've been stuck in too many meetings and transition/moving stuff for any training. If I'm lucky, I might get one run this week, on Saturday. Oh well, one run is better than none. The tri I would like to do is in September out at the lake near our home. That will give me all summer to work on my swimming, which is my weakest.

R

As I mentioned above, for the first time in years I went for several weeks with no workout at all and was concerned about how to resume weight lifting. Today we went to the gym and I followed DFW_M5's advice (in his post, above) to lighten up and do more reps. I cut the weight in half and did 3 sets (of 10) instead of 2 on each machine.

I lifted 12 tons this way instead of 16+, but that seemed hard enough and at least I didn't injure myself. As a bonus, my rotator cuff did not bother me. It's going to be a long haul back to where I was, but I'll make it, in time.

That's the trouble with growing old. Being careful is no longer optional. :LOL: It's good to be back at the gym again. :D

In SE AZ we have Mule deer up to about 5000 ft, any higher than that and we get White-tails Coues subspecies. A big Coues buck may just go over 100 lbs, but not much. My property hosts both, but primarily mule deer. My place is one of the few around that also get the 3 quails, Gambels, Scaled, and Mearns AKA Montezumas quail.

I don't hunt or eat meat, but with 12/21/2012 coming up I may just get a taste for game.

I tried again today, but no luck. I was exhausted by 3PM and the wind really started picking up, so I dragged myself back to the truck. If I get a nice day next weekend I will go somewhere flat and look for small game with one of the dogs.

No Coues here. The area I am hunting has mule deer, elk and supposedly moose as well. Moose are kind of rare in CO and frequently mistaken for elk. Supposedly, more moose are accidentally shot by elk hunters every year here than are taken legally.

Calisthenics and quick full body weight routine today.. Sore foot is getting better hoping to get back to running in a couple of days... may get on the bike later.

I lifted 12 tons this way instead of 16+, but that seemed hard enough and at least I didn't injure myself. As a bonus, my rotator cuff did not bother me. It's going to be a long haul back to where I was, but I'll make it, in time.

That's the trouble with growing old. Being careful is no longer optional. :LOL: It's good to be back at the gym again. :D

Thats right, be careful, as you can't work out if your injured. For the cuff, as an ex-pitcher, I think elastic tubing is the best. You should do some tubing exercises before your workout to strengthen and warm up your shoulder complex (use the thinner tubing) Just google tubing exercises for rotator cuff.

Thats right, be careful, as you can't work out if your injured. For the cuff, as an ex-pitcher, I think elastic tubing is the best. You should do some tubing exercises before your workout to strengthen and warm up your shoulder complex (use the thinner tubing) Just google tubing exercises for rotator cuff.

Thanks! Never heard of them so this might be very helpful. I have only had truly severe rotator cuff pain once, but that is enough to know I don't want it again. So, when it starts getting tender I have to limit how much I can lift on certain machines. I had been making up rotator cuff warmup exercises too, on my own but I reallly don't know what I'm doing with that. :duh: So, this might be exactly what I need.

Back
Top Bottom