Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #381
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Does it count if you wiggle your butt while surfing this forum? Ok ok 33 minute walk (over my 30 min minimum) in the park - got passed by several hard core little old ladies.

Still in the yellow cholesterol wise and 120/65 BP.

heh heh heh - after 70 I'm gonna start taking this stuff serious.
That is terrific, UncleMick! Sounds like you have whipped that cholesterol demon back in line, and that BP is great. And as for the little old ladies, well, maybe they are in their late 20's and just LOOK old.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #382
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Does it count if you wiggle your butt while surfing this forum? Ok ok 33 minute walk (over my 30 min minimum) in the park - got passed by several hard core little old ladies.
Maybe the key is to wiggle your butt in front of the little old ladies when you hear them gaining on you...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #383
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

3.1 mile walk in 42 minutes. Prefer to jog/run it in 30-33 but trying to make sure to take a day off between runs. The problem for me with walking even at that brisk pace, is that I struggle to get my heart rate over 90-95, unless I run into a hill, and then it just barely hits 100-105...I.e., 52-61% of max HR. Any faster and I really need to pick up my feet and at least jog.

R
Old 09-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #384
Full time employment: Posting here.

Amazing week of activity this week. By the end of Sunday I will have walked 8KM, run 52KM and mountain biked for about 30KM during this week. Also done the usual pushups and chinups. Takes the edge off the guilt for the bottle of wine I drank by myself with dinner (not for dinner.. ha) on Tuesday night and the 4 rum&diet on Wednesday.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie
Amazing week of activity this week. By the end of Sunday I will have walked 8KM, run 52KM and mountain biked for about 30KM during this week. Also done the usual pushups and chinups. Takes the edge off the guilt for the bottle of wine I drank by myself with dinner (not for dinner.. ha) on Tuesday night and the 4 rum&diet on Wednesday.
impressive! You deserve wine and booze after that.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #386
Administrator

Lifted 16.5 tons today.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #387
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday was my first calisthenics workout in over three weeks. It really, truly sucked. But I'll get better at it. Again. For about the 20th time after a few weeks off.

Surfing again this morning. That went much better. Maybe my body is trying to get me to take a hint.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:53 PM   #388

Six weeks into P90X. I have only lost 4 pounds of my 10 pound goal so far but I am getting stronger and more flexible. Several people have asked if I am working out or lifting weights so it must be making me look more fit.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #389
Administrator

Still lifting between 16 and 17 tons on every MWF. I have added riding on my stationary bike on the other days of the week at about 14-15 mph.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #390

Dang.. 3.5 weeks without posting on this thread.. The half marathon went okay but not great. It was raining/windy and I was fighting a head cold. Got a 5.5 minute PB but didn't achieve the level I trained to. Oh well, every day can't be the best. On the plus side, I did take most of last week off (1 trail run) and yesterday set a new PB for 10K without even trying.. so, I signed up for a 10K race in December... ha ha ha Can't say that I don't follow the path of least resistance...
Old 10-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
The half marathon went okay but not great. It was raining/windy and I was fighting a head cold. Got a 5.5 minute PB
Hey... five and a half minutes to run a half marathon is pretty darn good, head cold an' all!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #392
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Actually made it to the gym twice on my recent cruise, for an "abridged" workout. And the best part of the cruise well, except for the my bikini inspection duties was the early morning walk on the upper deck, watching the sunrise...

Still gained 3.5 lbs...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #393

My regular workout: 400-500 pushups. Try to get them all done in 15 mins give or take. Add in a 3 to 4 minute static wall squat. (You know, back against the wall, make pretend you're sitting in an invisible chair.)

Today I tried a change-up I found on the web researching workouts. (Look for the name Pete Cerqua. I think that's his name) Only 7 pretty standard calisthenics type exercises but you take 90 seconds to complete 1 rep of each. I thought it would be easy but it wasn't. Especially the breathing part. I am monitoring for soreness tomorrow.

The only other exercises I do are lawn mowing, snow shoveling, walking when necessary.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #394
Moderator Emeritus

Spouse and I have been back on the treadmill elliptical for several weeks now, and except for one unfortunate incident at taekwondo we're building our strength up again.

I can finish my entire calisthenics workout without having to curl up in a fetal ball to whimper while getting my breathing back under control. I'm back up to my full sets of pushups and I'm raising the weight on the squats. "Raising" as in "up to 55 pounds", so maybe in a year I'll be up to 75. No reason to work my knees any harder than necessary.

I much prefer surfing in 6-8 foot waves to training taekwondo. You have to surf when the waves are up, but surfing big in the morning and doing taekwondo at night seem to be the worst for recovery time. I guess there are going to be days when I'll surf and just skip that day's taekwondo workout.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:58 AM   #395
Recycles dryer sheets

Squats, bench press, curls. A 35 minute walk later in the day.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #396

It's autumn in Hong Kong and the morning air is cool and breezy. Can't resist a morning run by the sea promenade. Woke at at 7 pm and went for a morning jog which ended as a brisk walk. Reached home at 8.15 am.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #397
Moderator Emeritus

Wednesday-night taekwondo (forms and conditioning) went much better this week. No testosterone poisoning. Lots of hook kicks, which I enjoy because I can work on technique.

Thursday dawn patrol in lovely conditions. A long nap afterward, too.

Today's calisthenics workout was in 100% humidity with vog. We barely made it for 40 minutes of our usual 55 before calling it quits.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:13 AM   #398
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Wednesday-night taekwondo (forms and conditioning) went much better this week. No testosterone poisoning. Lots of hook kicks, which I enjoy because I can work on technique.

Thursday dawn patrol in lovely conditions. A long nap afterward, too.

Today's calisthenics workout was in 100% humidity with vog. We barely made it for 40 minutes of our usual 55 before calling it quits.
Glad to hear the taekwondo went well. Guess all is well. I knew it would be; you're really not very old and I think you have quite a few more good years left.

Just same-o, same-o for me.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #399
Moderator Emeritus

This is not necessarily an endorsement of the woman's taekwondo technique, but she credits it with saving her life from a shark attack.

So I guess taekwondo might be a pretty good cross-training discipline with water activities after all.

Shark Attacks: Hawaii Tourist Saved By Taekwondo Skills, California Surfer Not As Lucky

Note: It's hard to tell whether the shark was sniffing around or actually attacking. She might have just pissed it off. I suspect that when a shark is making a fully-committed attack run on a human, even Chuck Norris wouldn't have the skills or reflexes to detect the incoming incisors and throw the punch in time.

Other snarky commentary from a poster:
Quote:
"I guess that takes care of two myths: that TKD is not good for self defense and that TKD practitioners cannot throw a punch..."

Old 11-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #400

4 mile run yesterday...for some reason I was tuckered the rest of the day. A 4 miler usually doesn't whack me like that.

10 mile bike ride this morning, 2 mile walk @15min/mile after lunch. Feel much better today.

R