Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-03-2016, 04:59 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Still, one does wonder how many people are driving to destinations where they might have flown before.
Started out to drive to Barcelona last year......didn't even get a quarter of the way.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 05:01 PM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We took an 10 year break from flying starting in 2003. Then started again, and it doesn't bother us now. We've taken a few steps to make it less of a hassle.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:03 PM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Started out to drive to Barcelona last year......didn't even get a quarter of the way.
Yep.

Can't drive that RV to Hawaii.

In fact, I'm no longer willing to drive the RV to the West Coast! Just too far.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:16 PM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
In fact, I'm no longer willing to drive the RV to the West Coast! Just too far.
Hear that. We took our RV To the West coast a couple months ago. It took three days to get there... and that was with no "real" stops in between. Oh! And that was only to Bishop and Mammoth Mountain. It took another day and a half to get around Yosemite that is closed in the Winter -- had to drive way up into Oregon to get to the coast.

A wonderful adventure but... not if someone "had" to get to SFO from DEN in a hurry.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:33 PM   #165
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
+1. Never hear anyone complain about the knee surgeries long distance runners seem to need more than others...
In over 25 years of running, not ever have I seen a credible article suggesting this. Of the many, many, many runners I know and have run alongside, the normal issues are repetitive use injuries not requiring surgery, just temporary abstinence from running, and issues having to do with old sudden-impact injuries from contact sports or high speed falls (skiing, motorcycling, etc.) that eventually limit or stop them from being able to run.

The New York Times has been publishing articles on the benefits of running for years. Here's just one, linking running to the creation of thicker knee cartilage and therefore lower rates of knee arthritis. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...rthritis/?_r=0

A quote from the article - An impressively large cross-sectional study of almost 75,000 runners published in July, for instance, found “no evidence that running increases the risk of osteoarthritis, including participation in marathons.” The runners in the study, in fact, had less overall risk of developing arthritis than people who were less active.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:42 PM   #166
Recycles dryer sheets

To Ronnieboy, best advice I can give is don't try any diet you cant keep doing for the rest of your life, a fad diet will not work and since you obviously have a tendency put on weight you will likely put on very quickly as soon as you stop. Reducing carbs some will help in the long run with your satiety, and even losing 10% of your bodyweight will reduce your long term health risks. It is mostly mental but can be done, You need to enjoy your retirement, that is what this board is ultimately about. This is going to be a battle for the rest of your life so quick fixes will never work. Best wishes to you and every small change that you can keep doing will help.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:58 AM   #167
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlow65 View Post
To Ronnieboy, best advice I can give is don't try any diet you cant keep doing for the rest of your life, a fad diet will not work and since you obviously have a tendency put on weight you will likely put on very quickly as soon as you stop. Reducing carbs some will help in the long run with your satiety, and even losing 10% of your bodyweight will reduce your long term health risks. It is mostly mental but can be done, You need to enjoy your retirement, that is what this board is ultimately about. This is going to be a battle for the rest of your life so quick fixes will never work. Best wishes to you and every small change that you can keep doing will help.
Concur. What is needed is a slow, gradual lifestyle change. Start with breakfast, replace slowly as needed, get fully used to and OK with the new breakfast meal, then move onto lunch. Over time you will stop yearning for whatever you no longer 'do' and hopefully embrace the renewed energy and mood stabilization you should be experiencing as a result.

The same holds true for exercise. Start slowly, and build gradually. And truly, exercise should be placed in the same category as flossing - necessary for optimal health. The key is to find an activity that you enjoy, not one you think you 'should' do.

Another nice benefit of being active is it offsets caloric splurges. A mile of walking/running/hiking burns roughly 100 calories, so five miles equates to a nice 500 calorie meal. I bank calories, if you will, in advance of dining out, which for over 30 years has allowed me to enjoy life while keeping my weight in check.

Edit: Regarding post below . . . Guilty as charged.

(I get a little carried away at times by the nutrition-exercise-quality of life connection thing.)
Old 06-04-2016, 09:42 AM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Somehow this thread, while very enlightening at the start, has gotten totally away from the reason I started it. Suddenly everyone wants to solve other people's weight problems, which is not the topic of this thread.

So if there is nothing more to be said about WHY you do (or don't) care whether other people are overweight, I would like to close it.

Please discuss running, travel, diets, etc. in other threads, not this one, unless you also add something about why you do, or don't, care about other people (not yourself) being fat. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #169

After 9 pages that's pretty normal drift, but it was and interesting thread, thanks for starting it.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:08 AM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
So if there is nothing more to be said about WHY you do (or don't) care whether other people are overweight, I would like to close it.
I guess I care about other people's weight for the same reason I care if they smoke. If they are good friends or family, I want them to be healthy. I do not want to attend their funeral prematurely. Nor do I want to see them incapable of doing normal daily things because their heart is bad or they are tethered to an oxygen tank.

None of this means I want to run their life or be critical of them. It is a fine line at times between caring and interfering.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #171
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Back on topic.

I don't particularly "care' about someone else's weight problem unless they are a close family member. For a family member, I care because I see it as a negative heath issue, but will not engage in any "preaching" to them about what to do about it. (We have some of the affected group in membership)

For others with weight problems (close friends also may be exceptions), which in this country it's not hard to find specimens, I really don't care.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #172

Quote:
Back on topic.

I don't particularly "care' about someone else's weight problem unless they are a close family member. For a family member, I care because I see it as a negative heath issue, but will not engage in any "preaching" to them about what to do about it. (We have some of the affected group in membership)

For others with weight problems (close friends also may be exceptions), which in this country it's not hard to find specimens, I really don't care.
Agree. DW's father was morbidly obese. About a year or so prior to our marriage he had a heart attack. After that he took off a lot of weight but remained heavy and in poor health. About a week before the wedding, my Dad saw him and mentioned to me (prophetically as it turned out) that he looked like he had one foot in the grave. He died the day after our wedding; we had to fly back from our honeymoon.
My DIL's Dad is not quite morbidly obese but is very big. I feared a repeat of what I had gone through for my son's wedding but fortunately that didn't occur. He remains a very big guy and always tired and out of breath. I care for him and the effect his early demise would have on DIL.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:46 PM   #173

I have a close friend who can no longer enjoy a round of golf due to a combination of weak muscles and being overweight by a good 80 pounds. He is a good friend and over the years we have played hundreds of rounds together, but now, when we do play, he wants to ride a cart rather than walk (which I prefer) due to his weight and lack of fitness, and I also have to be prepared to end the round early because his back gets sore.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #174

Global warming, that is why.

I read somwhere that loosing fat, it is converted mostly to CO2 thus giving rise to greenhouse gases, hence global warming. Something about conservation of energy or matter or such.

Maybe fat folks should stay that way. Past their demise all of the body will covert to some other form of carbon and liquid. Unless cremated.

Ah, here it is:
How Fat Is Lost from the Body

"When you lose weight, where does it go? Turns out, most of it is exhaled"

"So, for example, to burn 10 kilograms (22 lbs.) of fat, a person needs to inhale 29 kg (64 lbs.) of oxygen. And the chemical process of burning that fat will produce 28 kg (62 lbs.) of carbon dioxide and 11 kg (24 lbs.) of water, the researchers calculated."
(bold added by yours truly)

"The researchers showed that during weight loss, 84 percent of the fat that is lost turns into carbon dioxide and leaves the body through the lungs, whereas the remaining 16 percent becomes water, according to the study published today (Dec. 16) in a special Christmas issue of the medical journal BMJ."
From Live Science.
Exhaled Pounds: How Fat Leaves the Body
Old 06-10-2016, 05:27 AM   #175
Recycles dryer sheets

my sister was 650 lbs at the mortuary. No one knows how much she weighed when she was admitted into the hospital 3 weeks prior to her death. She was not given any food for those 3 weeks. She avoided exercise at all cost her entire life. I pleaded with her many time to draw the line. She didn't. She died at 60. the doctors told her if she did not lose weight, she would die before 50. in her mind, she beat it because she lived past 50.

You got to draw the line! 10 over/100 over? i personally draw the line at 10 lbs. Then it's ATKINS time.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:47 AM   #176

@kitesurfer2.. Wow so sorry for that loss, it must be so hard to just have to stand by and watch something like that happening.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:14 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Recently a longitudinal study of "America's Biggest Loser" contestants (6 years after they appeared) was released. It's no surprise that almost all had regained a lot of weight, but researchers have identified what may be a permanent reduction in the metabolism of these people. So, maybe a "life sentence" of needing to eat less than others of their size just to avoid gaining weight. A news account of the study.
Quote:
Researchers knew that just about anyone who deliberately loses weight — even if they start at a normal weight or even underweight — will have a slower metabolism when the diet ends. So they were not surprised to see that “The Biggest Loser” contestants had slow metabolisms when the show ended.
What shocked the researchers was what happened next: As the years went by and the numbers on the scale climbed, the contestants’ metabolisms did not recover. They became even slower, and the pounds kept piling on. It was as if their bodies were intensifying their effort to pull the contestants back to their original weight.
Cahill was one of the worst off. As he regained more than 100 pounds, his metabolism slowed so much that, just to maintain his current weight of 295 pounds, he now has to eat 800 calories a day less than a typical man his size. Anything more turns to fat.
. . . . While many of the contestants kept enough weight off to improve their health and became more physically active, the low weights they strived to keep eluded all but one of them: Erinn Egbert, a full-time caregiver for her mother in Versailles, Kentucky. And she struggles mightily to keep the pounds off because her metabolism burns 552 fewer calories a day than would be expected for someone her size.
552 calories per day is quite a bit.

And a recent "Science Friday" interview with the study's author and also a participant. The participant wasn't entirely sorry she'd gone on the show--losing the weight made her healthy enough to carry three children to term, which was a significant motivator for her weight loss and one of her primary lifetime goals. But she says now, knowing what she knows, that she would not do it again.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

I'm so sorry for your poor sister. Obviously you cared for her and this was horrible for you to watch. Not given any food for 3 weeks? I hope you mean she was fed through tubes, at least. Even fat people need food to stay alive. People think they can "live off their fat," but I don't think that's totally true.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
my sister was 650 lbs at the mortuary. No one knows how much she weighed when she was admitted into the hospital 3 weeks prior to her death. She was not given any food for those 3 weeks. She avoided exercise at all cost her entire life. I pleaded with her many time to draw the line. She didn't. She died at 60. the doctors told her if she did not lose weight, she would die before 50. in her mind, she beat it because she lived past 50.

You got to draw the line! 10 over/100 over? i personally draw the line at 10 lbs. Then it's ATKINS time.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:03 PM   #179

And I'll add the comment that anyone who think weight issues don't sometimes come with huge mental stumbling blocks needs to put themselves in kitesurfer2 shoes. This would be no different then a drinking or drug addiction death.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:26 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
And I'll add the comment that anyone who think weight issues don't sometimes come with huge mental stumbling blocks needs to put themselves in kitesurfer2 shoes. This would be no different then a drinking or drug addiction death.
In that in all cases there are actions that can be taken - however very difficult - to prevent them?

Not to be insensitive to kitesurfer, but pleading with his sister to exercise and work on her weight... even addicts at some point make choices. Alcoholics are not born with a bottle in their hand. Their personal choices also factor in as is also the case with the obese, the anorexic, etc.

This is not me demonizing addicts; my family has a number of alcoholics, anorexics, and obsessive-compulsives (hello!). All are related conditions. I am constantly aware of alcoholism which is why I often go on long breaks of not drinking myself when I start to feel the urge and it takes some amount of willpower to not crack a beer. I fully believe people are predisposed to be addicts and the same likely applies to food addiction, but that doesn't mean you have to resign yourself to that fate. That is why the first step in beating addiction is admitting it's a problem. Resigning one's self to a particular fate is precisely the opposite of that.

As with most things, food addiction, weight management, alcoholism and other addictions, are nuanced issues. It is not all that person's fault of action, nor is it completely out of their control.

Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fat, health, obese, other people, overweight