Why do some people care so much that others are fat?

Well, people's builds vary. Given your great blood numbers and all, it sounds like you simply have a larger than average build. If you have great muscle tone, then I'll bet you are "curvy" versus fat. Perhaps you are stronger than average, too?

The old beauty bias toward frail, "willowy" builds for women seems to be changing, and a good thing too. Those builds have their own beauty. So does a strong, statuesque build.

Amethyst

I've been hesitant to post in this thread since I'm fat. Be every measure (clothes size, hip size, weight, etc.)

I eat less than everyone in my house. I take the dog on 2+ mile walks 4-5 days a week. I participate in water fitness classes 2 times a week. I use our elliptical usually 2x week. I've got great muscle tone.... under all the fat. When I take classes at the local community college I reach the 5th floor classroom via stairs, not elevator.

My blood pressure is normal to low. My cholesteral is low. My fasting blood glucose is low. So I'm not too worried about heart or diabetes. Plus there is no risk in my family tree for that stuff (we tend towards cancer.)

I am snug in airline seats - I can put the arms down... but it's tight. Worse is knee room... (I'm 5'9"). I guess my big booty pushes my whole body forward... or the seats are just too close together.

I've decided, consciously, not to let my weight keep e from doing activities that people might judge me. I go to the beach and body surf - even though that means public swimsuits. I'd rather enjoy the beach and not worry about whether I'm too fat to be there.

My husband theorizes that my years of dieting/regaining has kicked my metabolism lower...

I'd love to be thinner. But I also don't want to obsess about it - especially at almost 55 years old.... If my weight impacts my activities, I may start obsessing.

Yep curvy. I have a "pear" body, not an apple body. Defined waist, but large hips. Rubanesque on steroids. I don't know about stronger than average.... but I'm far from frail. Even still - the weight numbers, the clothes size, the BMI... I'm obese. No dodging that.

Well... Off to the beach to walk the dog for 2 miles. :)

I totally will miss this thread as it decays into oblivion.
Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Yep curvy. I have a "pear" body, not an apple body. Defined waist, but large hips. Rubanesque on steroids. I don't know about stronger than average.... but I'm far from frail. Even still - the weight numbers, the clothes size, the BMI... I'm obese. No dodging that.

Well... Off to the beach to walk the dog for 2 miles. :)

I've got a confession to make...that's not at all how I pictured you. In the same manner that I conjure up images of characters in the book I'm reading, I've got mental images of some some regular posters. Based on your avatar and posts regarding daily dog walks on the beach in CA, a busy life with your sons, Italian lessons, long European vacations, I pictured you as a 5'5", 115 lb redhead. I don't know how I came to that, but I did.

As for me, I'm "normal" weight and would never be considered frail, but I've got some jiggly parts that I prefer to keep covered.

Last edited:
I hear you, three sisters can have a lot of drama between them, I get it. I misunderstood and thought her comments really bothered you because you said you wondered if she hated you sometimes. But I am a little confused why you call the other sister out for saying intentionally hurtful things to the heavy sister, but give the heavy sister a pass when she does the same to you.

I think you must be a very compassionate person and would be a nice sister for anybody to have.It's not always easy to turn the other cheek.

No, her comments don't bother me and it doesn't happen often. I was posting because of the comment that heavy women hate thin women and want to sit on them. I could see my older sister saying something like that in frustration and then laughing about it.
I call out my other sister because she "tells people things for their own good" a lot. Even when she knows it will hurt their feelings. "You do know that hair cut makes your face look fat." "You should only wear solid colors because that striped dress makes your hips look big." These comments are made in front of other people. This sister is pretty, fit, married to a loving husband, has a great son, beautiful home and for all that is insecure. For some reason she feels the need to say unkind things to friends and family. My older sister wants to have "I'm only telling you this for your own good" put on younger sister headstone.
I think, in certain instances, it's easy to turn the other cheek especially where weight is the issue. For us it's mostly our genes that make 1 heavy and 2 thin.

I've got a confession to make...that's not at all how I pictured you. In the same manner that I conjure up images of characters in the book I'm reading, I've got mental images of some some regular posters. Based on your avatar and posts regarding daily dog walks on the beach in CA, a busy life with your sons, Italian lessons, long European vacations, I pictured you as a 5'5", 115 lb redhead. I don't know how I came to that, but I did.

As for me, I'm "normal" weight and would never be considered frail, but I've got some jiggly parts that I prefer to keep covered.

Add a couple inches in heat (I'm close to 5'9") and a hundred pounds... and you got it right. LOL. Busy life, red hair, etc are all accurate.

They don't make an avatar for fat... so I picked other features (red hair, glasses, big smile).

I'm also older than my avatar.

Ha

LOL, this thread seems to have gone off on a tangent.

Ha

Magnificent thought.

The Oblivion Tango

I can't help myself commenting ...

1. Being squished by the 300 pound man or woman (more and more of these) on the airplane
2. Paying whatever the cost differential is, when rolled up, between a healthy populace and an increasingly obese populace - it is, in the end, a type of insurance process
3. The likelihood the obese will raise obese children ... see 1 and 2, above

:)

1. Being squished by the 300 pound man or woman (more and more of these) on the airplane...

I wonder how it would work having three, three hundred pounders sitting next to each other on a plane.

I wonder how it would work having three, three hundred pounders sitting next to each other on a plane.

I saw it happen! Former CIO was a big man(easy 300), played college ball as a lineman. We're going to Edinburgh from London, 45(?) minute flight plus taxi. He's upgrades to business and is the smallest guy in the row! Plus he gets the middle seat.

Fast forward to the evening flight back to London, both the other two are on the return flight. They're checking tickets to make sure it wasn't a repeat.

1. Being squished by the 300 pound man or woman (more and more of these) on the airplane

:)

blame the airlines - they are many healthy people that weigh 300

Talking about flights - I do think I should be able to check in one of my luggages for free since I weigh less than the average.

Talking about flights - I do think I should be able to check in one of my luggages for free since I weigh less than the average.

DW says she should be able to check 2 free bags since she weighs about 140 pounds less than I do

I cannot remember which airlines but it was a mid size plane, at least. They were requesting kids to get reseated so the weight was better distributed on the plane. I wondered if some people were too tiny on one side of the plane or too heavy. I did daydream heavy people making jokes to flight attendants.....

DW says she should be able to check 2 free bags since she weighs about 140 pounds less than I do

Interestingly enough(?), my significant other weighs at least 140 pounds less than you. Because of this, I feel she should be able to check two free bags as well.

"What kind of thinking is that?"
"The kind that caused me to retire at 70. But, why do you ask?"

Oh heck, if she's that small, just put her in the overhead bin and use her seat to stow luggage!

Interestingly enough(?), my significant other weighs at least 140 pounds less than you. Because of this, I feel she should be able to check two free bags as well.

"

Oh heck, if she's that small, just put her in the overhead bin and use her seat to stow luggage!
+1 :LOL:
I have tried suggesting this to my wife repeatedly (I am 6'4" 265lbs. and she is 5'0" 100lbs) and she continually fails to see the humor in it! :)

Maybe people care because (more than ever) we are paying for each other's health care and paying for poor decisions people make in virtually any area of their life?
"It's my decision" only works until you (or the government, at your behest) make others clean up the mess. Eat too much, don't exercise, smoke cigarettes, drive without a seatbelt--now it is everyone's business.

BINGO! +100

I don't care ONE IOTA what people do, how they live, what they ingest or do to their bodies, or what they are involved in...............UNTIL it affects me or my finances. This obviously speaks only to those who have CONTROL over their situation, not those with thyroid and other medical issues.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom