Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am so happy for him that he went from the ear-plug type to the behind the ear with speaker in the ear type.
Can you give me an idea of how much the sound quality improved? I'm not happy with DWs in-the-ear aids. I can still hear better with my fingers in my ears than she can with her hearing aids in.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

DH isn't home at the moment so he can't describe it. His current aids are Oticon, it looks like their Dual model with streamer. The website says it can connect to the TV, humm - he didn't tell me about that, but then I am re-mediating for those times when he isn't wearing his aids. It does bluetooth beautifully with his cell phone and in a noisy restaurant he can suppress background noise to carry on a conversation at the table.

These are not 'budget' aids but he has been receiving full value. His audiologist lent him a pair for about a week so that he could evaluate whether or not it worked for him.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I wear hearing aids, when watching TV, but still felt the need to crank up the volume beyond the level my wife is comfortable with. After reading the recommendations on this board, I ordered The Wireless TV Speaker - Hammacher Schlemmer and the problem has been solved. I had previously purchased a set of TV ears for my mom which works on the same principle, (made by the same folks.) But the remote speaker works better for folks who don't want something hanging on their head or around their neck. I still wear the hearing aids while using the remote speaker. The combination aids and speaker does the job.

I watch a lot of TV in the evening, all previously recorded programs, so I can skip through the commercials. 4 hour long commercial network shows can be viewed in 3 hours using a quick finger on the pause and fast forward buttons. We record all the programs we both can tolerate and are always close to running out of space using High Def channels. Not having to fiddle with finding a mutually compatible sound level is really wonderful.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Both my DH and my Dad use the TV Ears, both with excellent results. Dad used to turn up the tv sound so loud that the neighbors could hear it, and even with his hearing aids he couldn't understand some of the dialogue. Problem solved.

As for DH, the TV Ears were a compromise solution to his preference to have a tv in the bedroom. Now he can listen without waking me. Marriage saved.

Highly recommend the product.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

My only issue is that if someone walks between the speaker and the TV it crackles, line of sight issue.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Looks like Costco has it for $99.99 including shipping.
Costco - TV Ears Wireless Speaker System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I received the TV Ears speaker, it included the transmitter.
On Costco.com:
Quote:
Delivery is not available to Puerto Rico, Alaska or Hawaii.
Motherf&*(^ing sonofa%^&*$ stupid shipping policies. What is this, a third-world country?!? Guess I'll see if they're in the store or if I have to revert to ShipToHawaii.com again...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

Motherf&*(^ing sonofa%^&*$ stupid shipping policies. What is this, a third-world country?!? Guess I'll see if they're in the store or if I have to revert to ShipToHawaii.com again...
What? Stop that damn mumbling and speak up so we can hear you...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
What? Stop that damn mumbling and speak up so we can hear you...
And you kids get the hell off my lawn!!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Looks like Costco has it for $99.99 including shipping.
Costco - TV Ears Wireless Speaker System
Our local Costco affirmed that they don't carry the TV Ears speaker box in the store, and they won't order one for in-store pickup.

So, screw 'em. I went to TV Ears.com and poked around for a while, finding a 50% discount code here: Special Offer 50% Off TV Ears

Of course I had to pay nearly $28 for the $14 USPS Priority Mail shipping, but that's a typical paradise tax. Total was $112.60, still cheaper than Costcos' $99.99 + S&H.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Our local Costco affirmed that they don't carry the TV Ears speaker box in the store, and they won't order one for in-store pickup.

So, screw 'em. I went to TV Ears.com and poked around for a while, finding a 50% discount code here: Special Offer 50% Off TV Ears

Of course I had to pay nearly $28 for the $14 USPS Priority Mail shipping, but that's a typical paradise tax. Total was $112.60, still cheaper than Costcos' $99.99 + S&H.
Glad you found one for a semi reasonable price. I had no idea the cost involved in having things shipped to paradise especially when there is probably a steady flow of tourists flying in all the time.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:52 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Glad you found one for a semi reasonable price. I had no idea the cost involved in having things shipped to paradise especially when there is probably a steady flow of tourists flying in all the time.
We get it all the time, but there's no reason for a company to charge 2x the USPS' shipping cost. An extra couple of bucks, sure, but even Amazon will ship here for $3.99/book.

The clearest evidence that we're being gouged on shipping is that entrepreneurs can make a living from starting companies like ShipToHawaii.com. Somehow they've figured out how to make a few nickels from undercutting the rest of the industry, so if they and Amazon can figure it out then the rest of the retailers, including Costco, could turn us Hawaii residents into repeat customers for very little effort.

At least this time I didn't get any hassle about "international postage" or "we only ship to the U.S."...

Old 11-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #32

Quote:
At least this time I didn't get any hassle about "international postage" or "we only ship to the U.S."...
This is tragically hilarious. I'd ask if you were kidding - but I know you're not.

I imagine COSTCO is just trying to keep shipping down in case items are returned. Why not just charge a restocking fee for items that have incurred additional shipping fees? One would think when retailers face constrained demand they would look for ways to encourage sales rather than turn them away.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
One would think when retailers face constrained demand they would look for ways to encourage sales rather than turn them away.
Charging large shipping fees to Hawaii is so universal[*] and so seemingly irrational that I think we must be missing something about how shipping rates are set that forces these charges. Like maybe UPS offers special discounts if a company ships only with them?
[*]With exceptions: small items on eBay are often sent by USPS with moderate rates, Amazon free "supersaver shipping" is actually free to Hawaii, Axiom loudspeakers have free shipping which includes Hawaii.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

In the spirit of Black Friday, let me update that the TV Ears speaker box is a hit.

Spouse has tried a number of headphone systems over the years-- big headsets (too heavy), wireless RF & IR systems (low S/N, lots of static), and corded (25 feet across the room). She prefers a lightweight set of Koss headphones with a long cord, but signal loss can still be a problem.

TV Ears uses a multi-channel IR transmitter that appears to be powerful enough to reach the speaker box even if they're not facing each other. Clarity is much better. Setup was intuitive and amplification/control is painless. The headset plugs into the jack on the front of the box next to her, so if someone else wants to hear the audio she can pull it out without getting up.

Best of all, this uses less power than our previous connection through a 1980s receiver/amp. I can rearrange the wiring behind the TV and put everything on separate power strips to reduce the vampire loading...

Old 11-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #35

Quote:
In the spirit of Black Friday, let me update that the TV Ears speaker box is a hit.

Spouse has tried a number of headphone systems over the years-- big headsets (too heavy), wireless RF & IR systems (low S/N, lots of static), and corded (25 feet across the room). She prefers a lightweight set of Koss headphones with a long cord, but signal loss can still be a problem.

TV Ears uses a multi-channel IR transmitter that appears to be powerful enough to reach the speaker box even if they're not facing each other. Clarity is much better. Setup was intuitive and amplification/control is painless. The headset plugs into the jack on the front of the box next to her, so if someone else wants to hear the audio she can pull it out without getting up.

Best of all, this uses less power than our previous connection through a 1980s receiver/amp. I can rearrange the wiring behind the TV and put everything on separate power strips to reduce the vampire loading...
I hear ya'...

Old 11-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:

Trying new technology every 30 years either means you are incredibly frugal, stubborn or a Luddite. TV ears was/is a great solution for the last 20 years. Chances are there are better/cheaper solutions here already.
Take a look at this site:Harris Communications - products for deaf, hard of hearing, hearing impaired, hearing loss, and sign language. Vibrating Alarm Clocks, Amplified Telephones, Notification Signalers
Old 11-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by heardoc View Post
Trying new technology every 30 years either means you are incredibly frugal, stubborn or a Luddite.
Check, check, and...check.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heardoc View Post
Trying new technology every 30 years either means you are incredibly frugal, stubborn or a Luddite. TV ears was/is a great solution for the last 20 years. Chances are there are better/cheaper solutions here already.
Damn you make a great straight man. Did REWahoo put you up to this?

FOR SALE: One slightly-used fully-functioning set of TV Ears "Single-Cabinet Wireless TV Speaker" including all accessories in the original packing. Local pickup on Oahu only. I paid $112.60 and it'll cost me another $10 or so to mail it back, so I'd be happy to receive $100 cash. PM or e-mail me if you're interested.

The rest of the story:
Spouse doesn't have any hearing problems, but she prefers to watch TV with headphones to keep the house's noise level down. She's been using an old 1990s 27" Panasonic CRT that fit comfortably into the wall unit. About 18 months ago its picture started glitching so we quickly found a 27" Samsung replacement on Craigslist for $50. The seller's house was dim, filthy, smelly, and disgusting (as was the seller) so as soon as we verified that the Samsung worked we got it the heck outta there. We brought it home only to see that the Panasonic was behaving again, so we put the Samsung in a corner until the Panasonic broke hard. It hasn't happened yet.

Yesterday we were happily ripping old electronics out of our wall unit (see the "Simplifying Saturday" post), we'd hooked up the TV Ears speaker box, and we had everything working. Then spouse decided that she'd rather have the speaker box in the (now nearly empty) wall unit instead of next to her recliner. That required some rearranging and realigning of the TV Ears' transmitter with the speaker box. While I was doing that, spouse noticed that the Samsung had a headphone jack on its front panel. She asked "Could I just switch to the Samsung and plug my headphones right into the jack instead of the TV Ears with the Panasonic?"

Well, duh. Not only does that work just fine (with a 25-foot cord) but it also turns out that the Samsung is a 1080i "HD ready" flatscreen. Compared to her old Panasonic, spouse feels as if she's won the lottery. It's also a much better electronics package, so I was able to get rid of the RF amp. The analog coax cable comes out of the wall, goes into the TiVo, and feeds the signal into the TV. I'm pretty sure that we're using a lot less power back there, but I'll have to gather data with my Kill-A-Watt for a while to verify that claim.

We discovered that both VCRs have died, but if necessary we have a smaller TV in the familyroom with an integrated videocassette player. I also have a DVD player stashed in a drawer, ready to plug into the Samsung, if she should ever decide to watch a DVD. I suspect by the time she got to that point (in another decade or so) we'd be streaming movies right off the Internet anyway.

So spouse's search for the Holy Grail of static-free headphones is over. The TV Ears works great but she doesn't need it when the signal is easily accessible from the headphone jack on the front of the TV with no connector losses.

Now our front lanai looks like we've robbed a pawnshop. The old Panasonic is going on Freecycle tomorrow morning and if no one wants the TV Ears then I'll mail them back later this week...

Old 11-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Damn you make a great straight man. Did REWahoo put you up to this?

FOR SALE: One slightly-used fully-functioning set of TV Ears "Single-Cabinet Wireless TV Speaker" including all accessories in the original packing. Local pickup on Oahu only. I paid $112.60 and it'll cost me another $10 or so to mail it back, so I'd be happy to receive $100 cash. PM or e-mail me if you're interested.

The rest of the story:
Spouse doesn't have any hearing problems, but she prefers to watch TV with headphones to keep the house's noise level down. She's been using an old 1990s 27" Panasonic CRT that fit comfortably into the wall unit. About 18 months ago its picture started glitching so we quickly found a 27" Samsung replacement on Craigslist for $50. The seller's house was dim, filthy, smelly, and disgusting (as was the seller) so as soon as we verified that the Samsung worked we got it the heck outta there. We brought it home only to see that the Panasonic was behaving again, so we put the Samsung in a corner until the Panasonic broke hard. It hasn't happened yet.

Yesterday we were happily ripping old electronics out of our wall unit (see the "Simplifying Saturday" post), we'd hooked up the TV Ears speaker box, and we had everything working. Then spouse decided that she'd rather have the speaker box in the (now nearly empty) wall unit instead of next to her recliner. That required some rearranging and realigning of the TV Ears' transmitter with the speaker box. While I was doing that, spouse noticed that the Samsung had a headphone jack on its front panel. She asked "Could I just switch to the Samsung and plug my headphones right into the jack instead of the TV Ears with the Panasonic?"

Well, duh. Not only does that work just fine (with a 25-foot cord) but it also turns out that the Samsung is a 1080i "HD ready" flatscreen. Compared to her old Panasonic, spouse feels as if she's won the lottery. It's also a much better electronics package, so I was able to get rid of the RF amp. The analog coax cable comes out of the wall, goes into the TiVo, and feeds the signal into the TV. I'm pretty sure that we're using a lot less power back there, but I'll have to gather data with my Kill-A-Watt for a while to verify that claim.

We discovered that both VCRs have died, but if necessary we have a smaller TV in the familyroom with an integrated videocassette player. I also have a DVD player stashed in a drawer, ready to plug into the Samsung, if she should ever decide to watch a DVD. I suspect by the time she got to that point (in another decade or so) we'd be streaming movies right off the Internet anyway.

So spouse's search for the Holy Grail of static-free headphones is over. The TV Ears works great but she doesn't need it when the signal is easily accessible from the headphone jack on the front of the TV with no connector losses.

Now our front lanai looks like we've robbed a pawnshop. The old Panasonic is going on Freecycle tomorrow morning and if no one wants the TV Ears then I'll mail them back later this week...
This sounds like a pilot for a new sitcom. $%^&* My Wife Does.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

If you had purchased your TV Ears through Costco you could just return it at their local customer service desk.