Wireless TV speaker for hard of hearing?

Brat

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
If such a product doesn't exist, it should.

My husband has age related hearing loss. I would love to have a speaker near him, whose volume he can control, so that the TV volume won't blast out others (me or the neighbors) and I don't want to string wire across the room. He likes to kick back in the bedroom without his aids and watch a late night show.

Has anyone seen such a product?

I planned to place an online Costco order Monday, I hope they have two of the TV Ears items left then. I love the fact that if I don't like it Costco will take it back.

Wireless headphones

I use these:

Amazon.com: Acoustic Research AW771 900 MHz Wireless Stereo Headphones: Electronics

I can plug them into my TV, stereo, or computer and roam around the whole house (including sitting in the backyard). The reception and sound quality is fantastic. An added benefit is that the wearer can adjust the volume to any level and it won't disturb anybody else in the room.

I've used mine for 5+ years. It's a durable product.

If you go this route, I suggest getting rechargeable batteries and a cheap $15 charger. You'll save yourself a bundle on batteries.

I have these and they work very well for me. And they're very reasonably priced. I got mine for $26 after a $13 rebate. You can usually find them on the internet for $35-45. They include a transmitter that you plug into your video or audio device and the headphones which come with rechargeable batteries. The headphones are recharged by placing them back in the cradle of the transmitter.

Audio Unlimited 900MHz Wireless Stereo Headphones - headphones - Ear-cup, Binaural#

TV ears has a significantly higher output with lower distortion than the other products. Its specifically designed for hard of hearing persons. You should be happy with their performance.

I just don't think my husband would wear headphones, he doesn't think there is a problem. If I can amplify near him perhaps that will work for a couple years.

Brat, the unit powerplay and I linked above is a "TV Ears" product. It has both a speaker unit and headphone option and, as heardoc states, the speaker works great.

The TV Ears speakers I ordered just arrived. I hope the transmitters were included.

Thanks for the link.

The TV Ears speakers I ordered just arrived. I hope the transmitters were included.

Thanks for the link.

Excellent, please post how well they work for your husband.

I have an aunt in a foster care home who needs to keep the volume on her TV pretty high so she can hear it. The TV ears speaker may be something she would consider although head phones would not be suitable for her.

I just don't think my husband would wear headphones, he doesn't think there is a problem. If I can amplify near him perhaps that will work for a couple years.

Time to have him tested ? or is he also in denial about getting older ??

heardoc, he has state of the art hearing aids complete with bluetooth lanyard. His hearing is great when he is wearing them, about 12 hours a day. I am so happy for him that he went from the ear-plug type to the behind the ear with speaker in the ear type. Hardly any wax buildup, quality (he says) sound, and volume easily adjusted with the bluetooth.

We now live in a condo which means that we must be sensitive to TV volume. These speakers may be just the thing for acoustic dead spots as well.

I received the TV Ears speaker, it included the transmitter. The sound quality is excellent! I didn't tell DH until I set it up, he sat down in his easy chair and remarked that he could hear the TV. The only minus is that it is a line of sight transmission, when someone walks between the speaker & transmitter it buzzes for a moment.

The TV instructions implied that audio out only worked when the TV was set in audio system mode because audio out has no amplifier. The TV Ears speaker has its own amplifier so it worked without going through a lot of set up.

Thank you so much gang!! :flowers:

Just discovered that it doesn't play well with my Wii. Easy to un-plug.

I received the TV Ears speaker, it included the transmitter. The sound quality is excellent! I didn't tell DH until I set it up, he sat down in his easy chair and remarked that he could hear the TV. The only minus is that it is a line of sight transmission, when someone walks between the speaker & transmitter it buzzes for a moment.

The TV instructions implied that audio out only worked when the TV was set in audio system mode because audio out has no amplifier. The TV Ears speaker has its own amplifier so it worked without going through a lot of set up.

Thank you so much gang!! :flowers:

Glad to hear it is working well for your husband Brat.

Ha

Young at heart!

When someone trys to 'out age' me I do the 'before or after Pearl Harbor' question. I win!

I am so happy for him that he went from the ear-plug type to the behind the ear with speaker in the ear type.

Can you give me an idea of how much the sound quality improved? I'm not happy with DWs in-the-ear aids. I can still hear better with my fingers in my ears than she can with her hearing aids in.

DH isn't home at the moment so he can't describe it. His current aids are Oticon, it looks like their Dual model with streamer. The website says it can connect to the TV, humm - he didn't tell me about that, but then I am re-mediating for those times when he isn't wearing his aids. It does bluetooth beautifully with his cell phone and in a noisy restaurant he can suppress background noise to carry on a conversation at the table.

These are not 'budget' aids but he has been receiving full value. His audiologist lent him a pair for about a week so that he could evaluate whether or not it worked for him.

I wear hearing aids, when watching TV, but still felt the need to crank up the volume beyond the level my wife is comfortable with. After reading the recommendations on this board, I ordered The Wireless TV Speaker - Hammacher Schlemmer and the problem has been solved. I had previously purchased a set of TV ears for my mom which works on the same principle, (made by the same folks.) But the remote speaker works better for folks who don't want something hanging on their head or around their neck. I still wear the hearing aids while using the remote speaker. The combination aids and speaker does the job.

I watch a lot of TV in the evening, all previously recorded programs, so I can skip through the commercials. 4 hour long commercial network shows can be viewed in 3 hours using a quick finger on the pause and fast forward buttons. We record all the programs we both can tolerate and are always close to running out of space using High Def channels. Not having to fiddle with finding a mutually compatible sound level is really wonderful.

Both my DH and my Dad use the TV Ears, both with excellent results. Dad used to turn up the tv sound so loud that the neighbors could hear it, and even with his hearing aids he couldn't understand some of the dialogue. Problem solved.

As for DH, the TV Ears were a compromise solution to his preference to have a tv in the bedroom. Now he can listen without waking me. Marriage saved.

Highly recommend the product.

My only issue is that if someone walks between the speaker and the TV it crackles, line of sight issue.

Back
Top Bottom