Yet another knee surgery thread

I would recommend that you concentrate on keeping as much muscle strength as possible prior to your surgery. You will need your strength during rehab and even short amounts of inactivity lead to quick muscle loss. Keeping your upper body strong will help with using wheelchair and walkers during recovery. If you can do water exercises that is also helpful. I also would recommend using a surgeon that has done many knee replacement surgeries. Specializing makes a difference. My father, mother and sister have had knee replacements.

Thank you! It's hard to keep my spirits up with all this knee pain. I am resting and icing and using my Ace bandage, and hopefully will be feeling more hopeful when the pain backs off.

You absolutely will, doesn't it suck. and to make matters worse, I couldn't actually rest because of the knee and so not only was I in pain I started getting cranky from lack of sleep. then I was a be-atch because I was worried about the constant gulping down of otc medications in order to get some relief.

Great news on the new surgeon, I agree with him, you want the guy that all he does is knee replacements all day, every day and has those years behind him.

he'll take good care of you.

Definitely keep us posted.

Reactions: W2R
the knee guy doesn't have an appointment available any time soon. So, my surgeon needs to convince him to squeeze me in before too long. They'll call me with an appointment time.

No call from them yet, so I called the clinic's number this morning and explained. Good thing I did, because apparently (like I thought) I had fallen through the cracks due to the office being so busy.

So, I managed to get the first appointment he had, in three weeks, and we can reschedule if he is persuaded to see me sooner than that.

EDIT: woo-hoo!! They just now called, and moved it up to Wednesday, a week from today. Making progress. :D

Good luck W2R. I hope he can do something to bring you some relief.

Good move on your part.
I expect the Dr you did see had every intention of following through, then he was probably distracted immediately upon leaving the conversation with you and Frank, and either did not do anything after that (I've seen this on numerous occasions for both large and small issues/questions) or whoever he talked to on staff got distracted, and they forgot.
We really do have to be our own best advocates in navigating the medical system.

Best wishes for smooth sailing for you going forward.
I agree with the comments about exercising those muscle groups you can use now, especially upper body strength. Also stretching to maintain as much flexibility now will also help when you are in recovery.

Good luck W2R. I hope he can do something to bring you some relief.
Thanks. I hope he will at least try.

Good move on your part.
I expect the Dr you did see had every intention of following through, then he was probably distracted immediately upon leaving the conversation with you and Frank, and either did not do anything after that (I've seen this on numerous occasions for both large and small issues/questions) or whoever he talked to on staff got distracted, and they forgot.
We really do have to be our own best advocates in navigating the medical system.

Thanks. They were really busy yesterday too.

Best wishes for smooth sailing for you going forward.
I agree with the comments about exercising those muscle groups you can use now, especially upper body strength. Also stretching to maintain as much flexibility now will also help when you are in recovery.
After reading that paragraph, I searched on "athlete on crutches" on Youtube and came up with this video. It's really fun to watch! Or at least it is for me.

Good luck W2R. Mine (left knee) is scheduled for July 11. Our home is filled with walkers, cans, toilet risers, and all sorts of things I never considered needing. I'll be glad when it's over.

Keep us posted on your journey!

Good luck W2R. Mine (left knee) is scheduled for July 11. Our home is filled with walkers, cans, toilet risers, and all sorts of things I never considered needing. I'll be glad when it's over.

Keep us posted on your journey!

Good luck with yours! I hope it is not too tough on you and that your recovery goes well.

I just got my first appointment with the "knee guy" moved up to the 10th. Making progress. :D

Good luck with yours! I hope it is not too tough on you and that your recovery goes well.

I just got my first appointment with the "knee guy" moved up to the 10th. Making progress. :D
A little tip W2R: if you need dental work or a cleaning, do it before surgery. I didn't realize you can't or shouldn't have any procedures done for a least 3 months after. And you need antibiotics when you have dental visits for a few years after. Man, they put the fear of God in you about infections.

A little tip W2R: if you need dental work or a cleaning, do it before surgery. I didn't realize you can't or shouldn't have any procedures done for a least 3 months after. And you need antibiotics when you have dental visits for a few years after. Man, they put the fear of God in you about infections.

Thanks! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Thanks! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

After my (unconfirmed) TIA my dentist wouldn't do a cleaning for 6 months.

Good luck with this! Glad you got the Knee Guy. I have heard such good things from my friends who had the procedure.

Best of luck W2R. We can compare TKR war stories later this year. :)
Yeah!!! :D Best of luck to you, too. :dance:

I think any improvement in knee function would be a resounding success, for me anyway.

And if it turns out that I can walk around the block as a result of the surgery? You'll never hear the end of it! :ROFLMAO: Those who followed all the threads where I used to post endlessly about weight lifting, can expect more of the same only about walking, now.

Good luck with this! Glad you got the Knee Guy. I have heard such good things from my friends who had the procedure.

Thank you! I have great hopes. :) That said, I am a bit behind Chuckanut in this process. In my case the Knee Guy hasn't even said he will approve me for this surgery; I'll see him for the first time next Wednesday. So I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch. That said, once I have a definite surgery date I'll be so happy.

Thank you! I have great hopes. :) That said, I am a bit behind Chuckanut in this process. In my case the Knee Guy hasn't even said he will approve me for this surgery; I'll see him for the first time next Wednesday. So I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch. That said, once I have a definite surgery date I'll be so happy.

I think there is a bit of a relief, when you have your course of treatment laid out.

Congrats on the weight loss and good luck with the procedure. It's wonderful that you found a doctor that you like and trust (and who takes the time to discuss the process with you). I hope the "knee guy" is equally good.

My friends who have had a knee replacement have really benefited from the procedure, but each of them stressed how important it is to do the PT when and how they recommend.

It is great that you are so proactive W2R.

Thank you, Lsbcal! For a while there, (when they didn't call me back) I was so distressed, but F has been gently making reasonable, logical suggestions and calming me down.

I think there is a bit of a relief, when you have your course of treatment laid out.
Exactly! I am hoping that the surgeon agrees to do this surgery for me.

Congrats on the weight loss and good luck with the procedure. It's wonderful that you found a doctor that you like and trust (and who takes the time to discuss the process with you). I hope the "knee guy" is equally good.
Thank you! I hope so too. The other doctor (the one I like and trust) said he trusted the "knee guy" with doing total knee replacements for his mother, and the two are in the same orthopedic group. So that is encouraging.
My friends who have had a knee replacement have really benefited from the procedure, but each of them stressed how important it is to do the PT when and how they recommend.
There are tons of youtubes demonstrating PT after TKR surgery. It doesn't LOOK that bad, but then I don't have a huge surgical wound causing me pain right now either. Guess it will take a lot of determination and bravery to get through the PT requirements.

Exactly! I am hoping that the surgeon agrees to do this surgery for me.

Thank you! I hope so too. The other doctor (the one I like and trust) said he trusted the "knee guy" with doing total knee replacements for his mother, and the two are in the same orthopedic group. So that is encouraging.

There are tons of youtubes demonstrating PT after TKR surgery. It doesn't LOOK that bad, but then I don't have a huge surgical wound causing me pain right now either. Guess it will take a lot of determination and bravery to get through the PT requirements.

Well, when the guy is the best, he is busy all the time. Would you like to have someone say to you " My schedule is wide open, I can do you tomorrow"? Not me we waited not always patiently for our preferred heart surgeon and he literally saved my DH's life.

We also found since he was the best he had only the best for all his support staff. He could pick and choose since everyone wanted to work "For the best doctor".

It probably would be a good idea to invest in small arm weights or resistance bands to build up some upper body strength .

Well, when the guy is the best, he is busy all the time. Would you like to have someone say to you " My schedule is wide open, I can do you tomorrow"? Not me we waited not always patiently for our preferred heart surgeon and he literally saved my DH's life.

We also found since he was the best he had only the best for all his support staff. He could pick and choose since everyone wanted to work "For the best doctor".
Ivinsfan, that's encouraging!

It probably would be a good idea to invest in small arm weights or resistance bands to build up some upper body strength .

Moemg, I do have some 1, 2, and 3 pound dumbells around here somewhere that I bought on Amazon during my weight lifting days a few years back. I could get started with those. Great idea!

Also, here's what I have been working on tonight. If chuckanut is reading this thread - - I didn't want to derail his thread, but on it he said,
I have raised my favorite recliner by 3 inchers with a platform (something I now wish I had done years ago).
Do you, or anybody, have a recommendation for a recliner to use to elevate one's knees after total knee replacement surgery? I don't even have a recliner, much less a platform, and, I don't want to spend weeks in bed.

I love my chair with ottoman arrangement, but it has me sitting upright, which probably isn't exactly what we need for knee elevation.

So, I have been shopping all evening online for a comfortable recliner with electric controls that will elevate my knees. Budget is around $300-$3000 I suppose and I don't mind blowing that dough for a good one. I have the money so who cares if it's cheap or costly, either one. I much prefer new to used.

I will wait until I have a definite surgical date before buying it, but wanted to identify one now.

Also trying to figure out the best place for it, but that's something I have to do myself. I could put it in my (nearly empty) home office room, which conveniently has an ensuite bathroom. I could temporarily turn that into my recovery room.

See, Chuckanut? You are inspiring me to start trying to catch up with you and all the preparations you have accomplished! :D

Back
Top Bottom