Yet another knee surgery thread

My BIL has two new knees (and a new heart). He got the knees a few years ago. He's playing golf at 80 with no issues. Takes a bunch of meds, through, mostly for the heart stuff.

He goes in for a new hip in August. The old guy is wearing out, but replacing parts as needed!

I can't even imagine playing golf again! Wow, that is amazing, and inspiring. :)

I'll bet it is a relief to get a new hip when you need one. :)

Any improvement in these knees will be great. Hoping to walk unassisted and relatively pain free some day. Half a mile would be a fantastic goal at some point. :D

BIL couldn't take it any more. And besides - summer is a good time for him because he doesn't fish in the summer.

I'm sure you'll do fine with your new knees. From what I've heard, people recover nicely and do well when they follow dr and therapist advice. And you seem like the type of person that follows medical advice,

BIL couldn't take it any more. And besides - summer is a good time for him because he doesn't fish in the summer.

I'm sure you'll do fine with your new knees. From what I've heard, people recover nicely and do well when they follow dr and therapist advice. And you seem like the type of person that follows medical advice,
Thanks. Yeah, I am, kinda. My late father (dead for almost 40 years now), was a surgeon. Like the stereotypical surgeon, he was a bit [-]tyrannical[/-] strict so it's almost a reflex for me and my brothers to do what our doctors tell us to do. :)

Redecorating and consumer therapy in progress.... ;)

Good luck W2R. Mine (left knee) is scheduled for July 11. Our home is filled with walkers, cans, toilet risers, and all sorts of things I never considered needing. I'll be glad when it's over.

Keep us posted on your journey!
Good luck on today's surgery on your left knee, SumDay! I hope all goes well, and hope to hear all about it later when you feel up to posting.

Chuckanut, when is your surgery? I couldn't find it in your posts although I am thinking it might be this week, or soon. Whenever it is, best of luck and be sure to post about it as soon as you feel up to it.

Tomorrow, I need to call my internist/endocrinologist (who is my PCP) and get him to convey written permission for the surgery to the knee surgeon.

OK, he wants to see me again in person before he signs, since it's been a few months. So, I'll see him a week from today. Thank goodness he doesn't need new lab tests in order to do this. My last set of lab tests was pretty stellar.

Meanwhile, I have been engaged in some consumer therapy, buying a new recliner/lift chair. I decided that I wanted it whether I need it for surgical recovery or not. I am going to donate my sofa and loveseat to the Salvation Army, to make lots of room for it. Also I ordered hand rails for the toilet to assist me in rising from it after the surgery like Yakgrl suggested here, a sock assist device like Moemg suggested here in Chuckanut's thread, and so on. And finally I ordered that nice "Lounge Doctor" pillow that chuckanut mentioned here, to use in elevating my knee after surgery. I might not need quite so much stuff but it will be comforting to have anything that might make my recovery period even a little easier.

Some other women here may understand why one might redecorate due to upcoming surgery. I'm pretty sure the guys won't get it! :2funny: It's stress relief and will distract me from the inevitable worries that can arise when confronting surgery. Besides, my den has had too much furniture in it ever since I moved here. I just stuffed everything from the den at the old house, into the den here, and it's too much stuff. I never use that sofa and loveseat anyway, and with those gone, and only a recliner added, this will give me lots more open space in my den and fewer things to bump into.

Don't forget to put an uber or lyft app on your phone since you will not be able to drive for several weeks. Also someone needs to stay over with you for a few days .

Chuckanut, when is your surgery?

July 15. Five days before the 50th anniversary of the first Moon Landing. I thought it would be cool to get a new knee on the anniversary itself. Then when the PT came into my room later that day and I took my first step I could say "One small step for a man, one giant bill for the insurance company". But the darn surgeon does not work on Saturdays. How inconsiderate of him! :D

Hopefully, I will be alert enough on the 20th to watch all the TV specials.

Last edited:
Some other women here may understand why one might redecorate due to upcoming surgery. I'm pretty sure the guys won't get it!

FWIW, I did not redecorate, but I did buy a platform that raised my recliner by about 3 inches. What a wonderful difference! I can actually get up and out of the chair without using my hands and arms. And I had my couch cushions redone with new, very firm foam. Again, what a great improvement in comfort. Knee or no knee this should have been done a few years ago.

July 15. Five days before the 50th anniversary of the first Moon Landing. I thought it would be cool to get a new knee on the anniversary itself. Then when the PT came into my room later that day and I took my first step I could say "One small step for a man", one giant bill for the insurance company". But the darn surgeon does not work on Saturdays. How inconsiderate of him! :D

Hopefully, I will be alert enough on the 20th to watch all the TV specials.

How exciting! I am thrilled for you that your surgery is this soon. Forget the Moon Landing 50th Anniversary - - this can be Knee Day for you, now and forever. :D

As for my Knee Day, August 13th, I'm just glad it isn't a Friday. :2funny:

FWIW, I did not redecorate, but I did buy a platform that raised my recliner by about 3 inches. What a wonderful difference! I can actually get up and out of the chair without using my hands and arms. And I had my couch cushions redone with new, very firm foam. Again, what a great improvement in comfort. Knee or no knee this should have been done a few years ago.

Sounds nice! :)

I am sort of at the stage that chuckanut was at, when he was building the platform for his recliner; getting things set up for the recovery period after my 8/13 TKR surgery.

The Salvation Army is coming next Saturday to take my sofa and love seat. That will give me room to put my present chair+ottoman where the sofa was, and my new recliner (which will be delivered sometime between M-Th) can go where that chair+ottoman is right now.

It's all kind of difficult because my den already had twice the furniture in it that would gracefully fit. And, for a couple of days it will have the recliner, too. Then the Salvation Army will come and save the day, by taking some of this furniture away for me. Meanwhile, for these few days, I need to do some furniture juggling about and temporary re-positioning.

So today I moved the love seat about three feet, and moved several tables to another room, moved the table with my smaller TV and gamecube on it so that it is more out of the way, and so on, trying shuffle things about so there will be enough room (and also, so that the sofa and love seat are easy to get out of the room when the Salvation Army arrives).

It's hilarious, in a way; I cannot walk two feet without hanging onto something due to my crummy right knee with the torn meniscus (as well as bone on bone), which cannot bear any weight at all. And yet I can push heavy furniture around as long as I don't use my right knee or leg. Actually it's probably good that I am getting some exercise doing this. Someone should write an academic paper called "Furniture moving as cardio exercise for patients with completely non-functional knees". :ROFLMAO:

F can help although he has some medical restrictions right now that prevent him from lifting heavy weights. BUT - - he can assemble a few things from Amazon for me, and when the recliner comes he can figure that out for me too. He is a lot better at that sort of task than I am.

When I get everything the way I want it in my den, it is going to be a terrific room for my recovery after my knee surgery.

Hey, my hips are good! :D But F needs a new hip so he's next. He says I need this way more than he does, though, so he doesn't mind waiting so that he can help me out a bit during the recovery period.

My understanding is that hips have a much easier recovery than knees. My 80 year old neighbor was walking around the neighborhood without even a cane just three days after his hip replacement, and playing tennis inside a month.

My understanding is that hips have a much easier recovery than knees. My 80 year old neighbor was walking around the neighborhood without even a cane just three days after his hip replacement, and playing tennis inside a month.

I'm so glad about that! Oh well, F wants to wait until August when his Medicare kicks in anyway, and then my knee surgery will be done the 13th. I'll let him know about the quick recovery time, though.

When I had my total hip replacement, I had to climb (unassisted) a flight of stairs in the hospital two days after the surgery in order to be allowed to leave. I had the "anterior Procedure" replacement which is done from the front (4" incision) and no muscle is cut.

I was home on the third day walking around the neighborhood (cane or walker) and driving in ten days. I had about a week of PT at home. That was 10 years ago!

Pretty easy compared to a knee job.

OK, he wants to see me again in person before he signs, since it's been a few months. So, I'll see him a week from today. Thank goodness he doesn't need new lab tests in order to do this. My last set of lab tests was pretty stellar.

Meanwhile, I have been engaged in some consumer therapy, buying a new recliner/lift chair. I decided that I wanted it whether I need it for surgical recovery or not. I am going to donate my sofa and loveseat to the Salvation Army, to make lots of room for it. Also I ordered hand rails for the toilet to assist me in rising from it after the surgery like Yakgrl suggested here, a sock assist device like Moemg suggested here in Chuckanut's thread, and so on. And finally I ordered that nice "Lounge Doctor" pillow that chuckanut mentioned here, to use in elevating my knee after surgery. I might not need quite so much stuff but it will be comforting to have anything that might make my recovery period even a little easier.

Some other women here may understand why one might redecorate due to upcoming surgery. I'm pretty sure the guys won't get it! :2funny: It's stress relief and will distract me from the inevitable worries that can arise when confronting surgery. Besides, my den has had too much furniture in it ever since I moved here. I just stuffed everything from the den at the old house, into the den here, and it's too much stuff. I never use that sofa and loveseat anyway, and with those gone, and only a recliner added, this will give me lots more open space in my den and fewer things to bump into.

Your Internal Medicine/Endocrinologist is going to get that other visit in--no matter what. It's called revenue maximizing. I have to be careful between doctors as Medicare only pays for blood tests every 3 months.

My wife has the recovery thing down pat--after 4 major surgeries in a year. She has been sleeping with her head up for years to minimize p.m. reflux in her sleep. She has a Leggett and Platt electrically adjustable bed frame installed in her regular bedroom suite. It did especially great on last year's knee replacement as it also elevates the knees and legs. As far as the hiatal hernias go, she's sorry she didn't get the surgery 15 years ago--it was not too bad laparoscopically.

And be sure you have a good source of ice, because any orthopedic surgery requires the site to be iced down much of the time--for weeks.

July 15. Five days before the 50th anniversary of the first Moon Landing. I thought it would be cool to get a new knee on the anniversary itself. Then when the PT came into my room later that day and I took my first step I could say "One small step for a man, one giant bill for the insurance company". But the darn surgeon does not work on Saturdays. How inconsiderate of him! :D

My wife's hospital bill for the knee replacement was $92K. The surgeon's separate bill was not too bad. It was those hospital physical therapist classes that were such a rip off with 10 people X $550 per session x 2 sessions per day--$11K gross sales per day. And it wasn't anything but getting patients moving their feet in circles--not hard core therapy.

Some interested posts!

Hips are indeed easier than knees - however, three days unassisted walk outside is pretty unbelievable for anyone, especially an 80 yo. I've had both hips done ... one as a 45 yo, and one two months ago - in both cases was a poster child. Three days walking inside house with crutches a bit. One week walking house and outside with one crutch.

Check out bonesmart.org for excellent support group. There are hundreds of stories of recovery. Good stuff.

Hips are indeed easier than knees - however, three days unassisted walk outside is pretty unbelievable for anyone, especially an 80 yo.

I agree, but this guy is extremely fit. He's 82 now and still plays tennis three times a week. My only thought was that when it's my turn I want the same surgeon he used!

Yes, I get the fit part, but 3 days is not really part of the norm ... while the anterior approach has better earlier results, 3 days is actually dangerous for many reasons.

Even the most aggressive young people who have hips replaced with either approach, are not walking unassisted on day three.

This isn't to say one cannot stand at this point, but it's the movement that is dangerous - especially for an 82 yo.

And, most folks are still on some form of narcotic at 3 days ... not to mention the internal and external suture/closure system.

Just trying to set real world expectations.

How exciting! I am thrilled for you that your surgery is this soon. Forget the Moon Landing 50th Anniversary - - this can be Knee Day for you, now and forever. :D

As for my Knee Day, August 13th, I'm just glad it isn't a Friday. :2funny:
That's 9 days before my 72nd Birthday. I wish you well and a fast recovery. Wish you many more years of no pain after this operation is complete.

Hang in there and try to keep moving. I think that's why I am still able to get up and go everyday.

That's 9 days before my 72nd Birthday. I wish you well and a fast recovery. Wish you many more years of no pain after this operation is complete.

Hang in there and try to keep moving. I think that's why I am still able to get up and go everyday.

Thank you, oldtrig!!! I am 71 also and hoping for the best. :)

Tomorrow, I need to call my internist/endocrinologist (who is my PCP) and get him to convey written permission for the surgery to the knee surgeon.
Today I go to see my internist/endocrinologist to get his written approval for the surgery. The knee surgeon wants it to be FAXed to him, and he also wants me to hand carry a copy of it to him next week.
Your Internal Medicine/Endocrinologist is going to get that other visit in--no matter what. It's called revenue maximizing.
Great observation and I totally agree; this sounds like revenue maximizing. Oh well. And maybe a dash of CYA too. But hey, whatever it takes.

I don't see how my internist/endocrinologist could possibly object once he sees me and sees how severe my mobility problems have become. The only further push-back that I expect from him, is that he will probably want me to drag myself back to his office once again in few days to pick up the signed permission form (for me to hand carry). Pretty tough when walking is so difficult. Maybe I can persuade them to let F pick it up for me instead. One would think my doctor could just hand the signed permissions to me today, but no,that would be too easy. ;)

Anyway, wish me luck and hopefully by this afternoon I will have gotten past this paperwork obstacle.

In other news, I like my new lift recliner a lot. The only problem is that it tends to slide around on the hardwood floor, so this weekend after I get my sofa and loveseat removed to make space, I plan to try to get it up on the carpet. Maybe it won't slide so much there. If it does, Frank and I (well, mostly F since he is better at that stuff) will need to figure out a solution for that.

In other news, I like my new lift recliner a lot. The only problem is that it tends to slide around on the hardwood floor, so this weekend after I get my sofa and loveseat removed to make space, I plan to try to get it up on the carpet. Maybe it won't slide so much there. If it does, Frank and I (well, mostly F since he is better at that stuff) will need to figure out a solution for that.

Maybe if you got some rubber caps to put on the feet they would stick better to the hardwood floor, or even a thin piece of foam or a small rubber backed throw rug under the whole chair if it doesn't have feet.

Reactions: W2R

There is a wide spectrum of recovery from joint replacements. I am almost 14 months post-op for THR and still have to use a cane if I walk too much. I have pain with every step that gets unbareable after just 20 minutes or so of constant walking. Some days I can't walk at all without the cane and 3-4 ibuprofen.

Back
Top Bottom