Do you watch the DJIA or NASDAQ?

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
When you want to know 'how the market is doing'.. which index merits your attention? Just curious...

TSX

I have been watching the DJIA for over 60 years, and continue to do so.

No index merits my attention.

Instead, I have a stock price app on my phone and on my laptop. With a single button push or tap, I see the prices of some ETFs that I own or have owned. Since ETF prices are set by real trades intraday, I see what I need to know about various asset classes in about half a second.

S&P 500, Russell, and NASDAQ are the markets I watch here primarily. I wish news stations would stop even mentioning the DJIA myself. It's about as useful an index as how many people I noticed at the gas station near work on any given morning (which is to say pretty much worthless for evaluating anything but that tiny sliver of the "market").

S&P 500, Russell, and NASDAQ are the markets I watch here primarily.

+1 I give most attention to the S&P, and look at outperformance by the other two as a positive sign.

DJIA

C'mon, there must be others who are watching it (A dedicated Dow 20K thread's gotta mean something :))

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
S&P 500 (proxy for US), and Vanguard VT (World).

DJIA and NASDAQ are meaningless to me.

I don't watch any of the broad indexes. When I run across any of them, I make a mental note. If I did follow one, it would be the S&P 500, then DJIA. If I'm evaluating my holdings, I look at it's corresponding benchmark, not an index. YMMV

When I think about it at all, I think of the DJIA. It's quick, easy, and good enough. I have a palpable idea of what a given level of that index represents, solely because I have been aware of it for a long time (over 40 years).

I understand that the S&P or the Russell 2k include far more data points, and so are more representative of "The Market". But since I'm not a day trader (I'm more of a year trader), the usefulness of any of these indices is limited to indicating a big move which might prompt me to consider a rebalance. The Dow does that just fine.

DJ for me also.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom