Nibbling along the edges?

NYEXPAT

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I went to mostly cash the beginning of the month. I find myself nibbling a bit today and have bought around 10% (SPY). Anybody else thinking we are close to a bottom?

Not yet, we've had some technical damage here. We've broken the 100 day on SP 500 (at least Intra-day), let's see if it can regain it or ...

Having said that, I bought some GTX today @ 15.37. It is a HON spin-off. Why? I think spin-off's/spin-out's in general do well, and I got a little bit via my HON holding and wanted a bit more (to give me more incentive to watch it).

ETA: I'm trying hard not to nibble here, having trouble keeping my keys off the keyboard. I actually hope to pick up some emerging markets and Japan, but really need to stay away as they are very likely to fall overnight due to the wash out domestically today. (Emerging markets because I think I am underweight there and Japan because I think the market there technically looks better than it has in many many years even decades).

Last edited:
Not yet. I have close to 75-80% in cash. But I did have some cash covered puts though. But I worry if we have a deal with China then it’s going to see saw.

The profit taking feels about done, but historically this time of year is tricky.

Not buying anything yet. Would like to see AMZN fall some more so I can buy some before end of year holiday numbers push it up.
If Brk/b drops below $200, I'll make a big splash in it though.

ETA: I'm trying hard not to nibble here, having trouble keeping my keys off the keyboard. I actually hope to pick up some emerging markets and Japan, but really need to stay away as they are very likely to fall overnight due to the wash out domestically today. (Emerging markets because I think I am underweight there and Japan because I think the market there technically looks better than it has in many many years even decades).

I am sure you know it, but the Nikkei has been trading in "lockstep" with the Dow for sometime. I have heard traders say that they expect it to outperform in the near future.

Nothing yet. The percentage drop is still insignificant. However, I did venture to the dark side and did my October VTSAX Roth conversion today. Usually it's later in the month.

I knew it wouldn’t be long before we started seeing some posts from the people that went to cash a week or two ago. :)

Never occurred to me that this thread was going to be about money. Talk about being disappointed!

I will probably buy a bit more today (10%). Interesting factoid. The day after a big move like yesterday:
51% of the time the market moves up 1% the following day.
49% of the time the market moves down 2% the following day.

Never occurred to me that this thread was going to be about money. Talk about being disappointed!

[emoji51]

My rebalance bands (+/- 10%) haven’t tripped, so steady as she goes. VGK (Europe has been trending lower for a while, seemingly unrelated to the current swoon) is at 8.5% now. My reit has dropped more recently with the rise in rates, but is at 8.0%, so just watching.

I put in an order for total international. I had some extra $$ from a maturing CD that was going to the muni fund before the dip.

I hope not! I have a big influx of cash, roughly 10% of invested assets, coming in just about two weeks. More down please!

I will probably buy a bit more today (10%). Interesting factoid. The day after a big move like yesterday:
51% of the time the market moves up 1% the following day.
49% of the time the market moves down 2% the following day.

Appears, it is the latter this time. I will definitely buy (10%) between now and the close!

In order to nibble, you've got to have teeth, er, cash.

Just look to see that I have 26.7% in cash. But I have already bought the last couple of weeks, a bit early. Somewhat reluctant to throw more money into the ring.

I will buy more if VTI is less than $137. I sold out at $144 sometimes in Spring. Now it’s lower than that.

I bought a really tiny amount of BUD today.

The market is going to have to get down to near the lows of the year for me to be interested in doing anything significant.

Several concurrent threads regarding the drop in the markets. Nobody, has mentioned two things I am watching:
1. The drop in oil prices.
2. 10 year yields have almost moved back to the breakout level of 3.11

I expect a ST rally here and have positioned myself for it.

I bought a really tiny amount of BUD today.

The market is going to have to get down to near the lows of the year for me to be interested in doing anything significant.

It's been many years since I owned shares of BUD, and have not looked at it since. Wow, it has not been anywhere for more than 5 years. In fact, it just got back to where it was 6 years ago. I don't know its fundamental to see why it's so bad.

Back
Top Bottom