Real time stock price updates on excel

kagarnett

Dryer sheet wannabe
I apologize if there are other threads with this subject, but do any of you use microsoft excel to display current stock prices/info? If so, what have you found that works best? I tried to import stock price data from yahoo finance and it works ok (doesn't import quite everything that i want) but has anyone else found a better way? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I use a URL like the following:

http://finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=aapl+vfsux+vtsax&f=l1

This downloads a .csv (at least in Safari it does) which can opened in any spreadsheet program (I use Numbers). The quotes are current, but it's obviously not hooked up directly into a spreadsheet. I then copy and paste the quotes into my portfolio spreadsheet.

You edit the URL and replace the "aapl+vfsux+vtsax" portion with other stock symbols or fund symbols as needed.

Last edited:
Google finance ( =googlefinance("xom","price") ...xom being Exxon's ticker. Not sure if you have to be in Google's version of Excel.

If you list your stocks and replace the first attribute "xom" for a cell location (A14), you can then just copy down the formula. Updates every few minutes.

Google finance ( =googlefinance("xom","price") ...xom being Exxon's ticker. Not sure if you have to be in Google's version of Excel.

If you list your stocks and replace the first attribute "xom" for a cell location (A14), you can then just copy down the formula. Updates every few minutes.

Thanks marko! Took me about 3 minutes to google that and get my trading googledoc spreadsheet set up. 20 min delayed, but not bad for keeping tabs on things.

Thanks marko! Took me about 3 minutes to google that and get my trading googledoc spreadsheet set up. 20 min delayed, but not bad for keeping tabs on things.

of course you can also have it look up dividends, capgains, dividend dates, returns for week/month/year/3years etc, and a number of other things.

Here's a list of googlefiance commands/attributes. https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3093281?hl=en

Here is a way to bring the dividend into a google sheet. The formula shows an internal reference to cell C3, so you'd have to change that to the cell reference of your symbol.

=IFERROR(IMPORTDATA(CONCATENATE("http://finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=",C3,"&f=d")))

I believe I have that formula in my sheet as the google incomedividend function does not work with stock or etf symbols.

Last edited:
This page has a link to an excel sheet with macro that will perform a bulk download of several tickers you specify, and download the prices to individual sheets in the workbook. You can specify the date range.

The macro is unlocked, so you can view it before running.

I just tested the sheet with different symbols, and it runs fine on Excel 2007.

There are other excel files of interest, so you may want to look around the site.

Thanks for the tips, I'll have to give google spreadsheets a try it sounds like. I think I have my excel to where it will update pretty much real time (every few minutes) and im working on some charts and graphs for my stock totals now. I'll see how these turn out and may try it on google spreadsheets as well to see which I like better. I haven't been able to bring in dividends on excel yet so thats something I'll have to try on google

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

FWIW, I use a Excel "add in" from Technitya called Market XLS that adds functions to access stock data from Yahoo (stocks and options) and MSN Money (stocks).

I have had a recent issue with dividend data that they have said they'd try to fix - MSN Money dividend data was very accurate but that function has gone away and the corresponding Yahoo function doesn't seem to always provide the most recent data.

The library is not free but it seems to me it was a rather nominal fee.

Back
Top Bottom