Sold all of my socks !

Foolishness.

Nobody should own individual socks.

You need to buy an index of ALL the socks.

My only problem with that is that then I have to hold medium and small socks when what all I need is large. Sad.

I went short on socks long ago. Much better for golf.
Except when your playing partners want help looking for their ball in the deep rough or worse. I actually debate short vs long socks when getting dressed for golf, sign I’m retired I guess.

And OK, sometimes it’s my ball (way) off in the weeds... :blush:

Like with investing, I do believe in buying quality socks. I used to buy cheapos but they wear thru in a year or less, so they’re not a good value sock.

Love this clever thread, and clever responses, we’ll done OP! Lots of clever, witty people here.

Last edited:
I have a LBYM friends who is worth aprox 15 mil. He would always brown bag it. Always drive cars 10 years, etc... With socks he would buy the 12 pack from walmart and wear them exactly once. He absolutely hated the missing sock issue while doing laundry so he literally treated socks as a disposable resource. He figured 50 cents a day was not a bad habit. Full disclosure: he only did that with athletic socks. Not dress socks.

I donated my matched socks and threw away the basket and bag of need sorting socks and bought ten pair black Gold Toe and five pair of white Nike socks. Never a miss matched sock.
Not worried about not being diversified as there is a pair of argyle socks and two pair of novelty alumni socks stored away.

I definitely need to adjust my sock portfolio now that I'm retired. The drawer is about half full of socks I'll never use again. Besides being long or short on socks (I have both for different times of year and outfits), my biggest problem is finding socks that fit my risk tolerance. My risk (fit) level is around an 8 but most socks range from a 7 to a 10 or 12. This makes fit difficult and usually not very comfortable. In the long socks, the best option I've found is UnderArmour tube socks. Thankfully, the short socks for golf and summer are generally stretchy. So, even if they fit a larger size, they're still comfortable for me to wear.

I am definitely buy and hold in my sock portfolio but unlike my stock portfolio I am totally undiversified holding almost entirely Thorlo tennis socks. I have a few legacy Gold Toe socks that I am hanging on to on the off chance that I will need them. I have been 95% Thorlos for the over twenty years and although some may not agree, I have been very comfortable with my choice.

I failed to mention earlier that during the winter time I wear sock liners from my sock drawer under my woolen socks if I go outside for any length of time, especially when hiking or skiing. The sock liners keep my feet dry by wicking the perspiration out to the thicker woolen sock. I learned this trick while wearing rubber boots while working underground. Everybody would complain that rubber boots MAKE your feet sweat, but your feet always sweat, you just notice how much they sweat when you wear rubber boots.

I was halfway through the “Sold all my stocks” thread when I saw this one. What a hoot! Thoroughly enjoying the clever humor here.

This comment wins best pun award.

So, I finally reallocated my socks and bands mix.

Foolishness.

Nobody should own individual socks.

You need to buy an index of ALL the socks.

My only problem with that is that then I have to hold medium and small socks when what all I need is large. Sad.

But there are people who insist that what you need is the total sock market. That way, you have an assortment of sizes. You will always find some that fit, whether your feet get swollen or shrunken. Also, both domestic and foreign made socks. There's always something among them that is in style.

You should not be sad. Be happy you are always stylishly socked by being diversified.

Last edited:
.......But eventually I learned that they will still take you to the hospital - even if you aren't wearing good underwear! Who knew?

Hey, they will take you to the hospital even if you are not wearing any underwear and promptly fit you with new underwear and bill you $875.00 for them.

Oh,......my sock drawer looks like my portfolio; all mixed up and nothing goes together. :blush:

I have a diversified sock portfolio. White, beige, red, blue, black and a few [-]alternatives[/-] patterns.

I'd better adjust my sock AA then. I only have white and black. That's going to be sad if I ever need some blue or green socks.

I had a well diversified sock portfolio. However I failed to understand a few colorful sectors of socks so now they are worthless.

1. My mother always said: clean underwear.
2. Holey underwear gets one last use. I put them in a bag marked International Travel. They leave the country and die in a far off foreign land.

The other day, while browsing through youtube I saw a video by a Brit who drove to Germany to participate in an auction where they sold off unclaimed airline baggage.

Of course I was curious to see what he found. Nothing really unusual, though the guy did comment that vacationers tended to pack very little underwear, let alone holey socks or worn-out underwear. It's most likely that the underwear was in the travelers' carry-ons. Either that, or there are more people going commando than I imagine.

Anyway, the guy bid on 10 pieces of luggage and paid something like $1000 (or perhaps it was 1,000 euros). Didn't look like he got anything worthwhile, until he found a few thousand euros stashed in one suitcase. He felt bad for the owner.

Last edited:
My 10 yo granddaughter believes in diversified sock holdings, she doesn't bother to match them... grab and go is her moto. :D

When I lived in Vermont I used to go to the big annual sock event at the Cabot Sock Company. (They make Darn Tough socks, among other brands.) Their entire factory was turned into a large sales area for one weekend and they would have amazingly good deals on close-outs, overstocks (oversocks?), irregulars, etc. People came from all over and it was really crowded - there was quite a buzz. I bought plenty of socks but for me the real excitement was a lot like the time I visited the NYSE/Wall St. and experienced the thrill of being on the sock trading floor.

5 pages of comments on socks. Sounds like the group has a lot of time on its hands today.
What? A group of financially independent, youthful or young retirees having time on their hands, cracking jokes, and having fun?

Never heard of such a thing. :D

This place is like a giant party for like minded people. :LOL:

5 pages of comments on socks. Sounds like the group has a lot of time on its hands today.
I guess I’m crazy, this has been one of the most entertaining threads I’ve seen in a while. Clever peeps...

I have penny socks, but the market for them is a bit thin, so I still have a lot of those. I keep them under my mattress. I do not sleep well at night due to a high turnover rate.

For the Steven Wright fans, he said he always matched his socks, by thickness. Reminds me of our dividend portfolio members.

8e31cfecb28bfa08d0c959690c094c49.jpg

I don't think there is money in socks, but shirts look promising. Remember when Warren Buffet created Berkshire Hathaway HATHAWAY was a shirt company not a sock company!

Back
Top Bottom