Stock Picking ("Beat Boho") Contest

I think I'll quit the day job. By now it's obvious that I was born for this. If anyone wants me to manage their portfolio, I take a 1% annual fee plus some performance bonus that I still need to make up.

I think I'll quit the day job. By now it's obvious that I was born for this. If anyone wants me to manage their portfolio, I take a 1% annual fee plus some performance bonus that I still need to make up.

You say this just as I become #1? I don't know how that happened, but it's true. I need to take more vacations and make more mistakes.

I almost bought GM before I saw a new anti-GM Forbes article. I don't feel like looking for something else so I'll just keep 50% cash today. If I drop in rank today it's because I'm on vacation so it doesn't count.

And if you rise in rank? Are you going to throw away your gains, you know, to be fair?

Funny that the wording was only a fall in rank wouldn't count, huh?

Two weeks in and you're already making up excuses? :cool::LOL:

Oh, look back, maybe it was in the thread that this was started from, but he started out with all sorts of excuses.

-ERD50

So much for the taking a vacation and slipping on the standings theory.

You say this just as I become #1? I don't know how that happened, but it's true. I need to take more vacations and make more mistakes.

Nice move! Where do I sign up for your newsletter?

I will now refrain from bragging until I have recaptured the top spot. :LOL:

Uh oh. At 9:50 AM, EXAR was $13 according to Fidelity. Today's low was $12.97. Simvest gave it to me for $10.62.

Attachments

• invest-contest.jpg
    invest-contest.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 5

You have a 12% gain now, from < 0.8% yesterday (see my post from yesterday, #4 position was 0.8%), and you don't know why?

Sounds like what it is, just some random luck today, nothing to do with superior R-P-S (rock-paper-scissors-player-extraordinaire) skill at all. Let's see how it goes for you over a longer time.

-ERD50

Uh oh. At 9:50 AM, EXAR was $13 according to Fidelity. Today's low was $12.97. Simvest gave it to me for $10.62.

Hm, that sucks. But props to you for your honesty. If you want to keep the challenge fair, I suppose you could email them and ask for the trade to be nixed.

Are you saying there's a bug in Simvest :( that impacted the trade?

When did you place the order? It closed at 10.62 yesterday.

With that 15 minute delay they talk about, I wonder if you got it at a 15 minute old price? As far as I can see, it jumped on news before the open, so it wouldn't be possible to buy it today at that price. Last night, yes.

edit - Hmmm, with a 9:50 trade time (is that ET?), a 15 min delay doesn't explain it either, but it appears you got yesterdays price, before the acquisition news hit. So here's a strategy for Simvest - set up a bunch of real time alerts with your broker, and buy stocks 15 minutes in the past! Your profile name should be "Doc" Brown! ;)

-ERD50

Last edited:
Are you saying there's a bug in Simvest :( that impacted the trade?

Yes. And who know what other trades it impacted.

So, the game that doesn't really matter now matters even less.

In that case, maybe we should consider the contest a practice run and look for a less buggy contest site?

Call the new contest the REAL "Beat Boho" contest :).

Thoughts?

so boho is kicking everyone's' butts? that's awesome

start a hedge fund bro

In that case, maybe we should consider the contest a practice run and look for a less buggy contest site?

Thoughts?

Yeah.

Thoughts?

Do I get to keep my 6.5% profit? *I* wasn't using any loopholes! :mad::LOL:

That's the dilemma of starting over.

Just when I was sitting in 10th place, having everyone ahead of me all sized up to make my move too :LOL:.

It's been fun to see the two ?protagonists? (Boho and Planman) starting off so well. Makes the longer run results that much more fun to watch!

3/29/17, 10:01 am - Boho #1, Planman #4

BTW - I've learned from my kids playing their video games that they don't really have "bugs", these are just more opportunities for the good player to use a new strategy!

Boho - hope to see you post your real portfolio quarterly results in the 2017 quarterly returns threads (link). That's probably a better comparison of how you are doing compared to the crowd here.....the numbers in the game are fun but several of the game players are trying "unusual" stategies they would never do with their real money. Still fun though.

That's the dilemma of starting over.

Just when I was sitting in 10th place, having everyone ahead of me all sized up to make my move too :LOL:.

Simvest should be informed. Maybe it isn't a systemic problem, and if they fix that trade it's fixed. Maybe start another contest on another site in parallel w/o messing with this one.

I'm still down 0.89% in my phantom SPY account, no errors.

-ERD50

Not saying anyone tried anything fishy, but I think that because of the buggy Simvest, we can't count on any of the numbers and just start over with the same opening balance for everyone at the new contest.

Declare Boho the winner (with an asterisk). Then have the rest of the standing be as is as of this moment. The trial run.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Guys, give Boho a break!

He is honest by revealing his trade and the stock quote error. He could have kept mum and savored his "victory".

Guys, give Boho a break!

He is honest by revealing his trade and the stock quote error. He could have kept mum and savored his "victory".

Very true.

I contacted Simvest about it. They don't seem to maintain the site though, judging by their forum full of spam and their ongoing 2016 market prediction contest.

The bright side is good thing this was all virtual money :).

Back
Top Bottom