Stock Picking ("Beat Boho") Contest

Were they placed in your account automatically, or did you have to request that?

Somebody posted earlier that you had to call them but I just logged in and there was cash there. I spent everything initially, so I can only guess that dividends automatically go to cash and you have to manually use it for more trades.:)

Today's purchase went through already. :dance:

Attachments

• simvest.jpg
    simvest.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 9
Hey, moorebonds is threatening to take over last place:

34 Moorebonds (Profile: Moorebonds1575934) $89,383.36 -10.6%
35 Fermion (Profile: Fermion1575821) $88,798.98 -11.2%

Stonegate Bank was good to me today. You can click a player's profile link to see his "recent sells." Mine says "Recent Sells: AMZN AMZN VIA SGBK".

I just noticed that a chat box showed up beneath our leaderboard (now headed by me, BTW :dance:). Some user named "planman" posted this gem: "No, this is not run by the early retirement forum. They banned me because I'm a prof. investor and threatened their little world. Simvest has its own communications system". :LOL:

I'm quite excited that now we can put our wits against a true professional! :rolleyes:

Guess 'batorman doesn't realize at the end of the contest all his trades will be made public, thus giving the participants a look at his secret sauce...

Guess 'batorman doesn't realize at the end of the contest all his trades will be made public, thus giving the participants a look at his secret sauce...
Well, he's not much of a trader at least:
Recent Sells: None Recent Covers: None

Well, he's not much of a trader at least:
Recent Sells: None Recent Covers: None

The beauty of short term reviews - he got in an March 24th, when the market dipped from the point where most people got in, and has risen since the 24th.

Again, even a year won't tell us much, but if the braggarts (not you of course, I'm referring to the ones taking this seriously) can't do well in both up and down markets, well...

But you can still crow about being #1, for now! :)

Heck, the cash holders are doing better than my 'phantom' SPY account.

-ERD50

Again, even a year won't tell us much, but if the braggarts (not you of course, I'm referring to the ones taking this seriously) can't do well in both up and down markets, well...

But you can still crow about being #1, for now! :)

-ERD50

Oh rest assured, I will enjoy my 15 minutes of fame. :dance: I know it won't last long.

But until then, it's not bragging if you can back it up! :D

BTW, by "not much of a trader", I meant planman didn't do much trading so far. At least I'm under the impression that day traders usually hold their positions only for VERY brief periods?

Last day to join is April 10.

Between now and then, if the market crashes I will join the fray with $100K cash. That will teach y'all. >:D

I shall try to remember Almost There as the audacious one who shorted tech stocks...

Someone had to do it. Never had the nerve in real life to short...

I caught you in another thread saying you are only 1/12 in the market. So, you weren't kidding.:D

But if you dared do with your portfolio what you did in this contest, you would have made 4% in a couple of days. People can live on 4% WR for one year! You could then go back to cash and take the rest of the year off. :D

I still say you guys are going to be shocked this year when I go from -22% to +139%

I can't say when it will be but sometime this year is near certain.

I would not be shocked at all. Of course you know how I know.

The problem is you have to be holding that gain at the moment the bell rings to win this contest. :)

PS. I have owned and still own stocks whose moves can make the weak-hearted wet their pants. But I am not 100% in them. Just enough for fun.

I caught you in another thread saying you are only 1/12 in the market. So, you weren't kidding.:D ...

This contest is fun. It brings out the alter egos in some of the players! The most conservative CD-Ladder shopping investors (and there is nothing wrong with that!) can go wild - it's all funny money.

While my virtual 'all on SPY' phantom portfolio lags the cash holders (or are they slyly waiting to 'buy on the dip'?). Can they pick the low point? They don't have to - like the guys being chased by the bear, they just have to out-run their competitors!

-ERD50

Good grief! Between REWahoo's asteroid and harley's spiders, I wonder which one will get us first.

I fear many things, but am really free of arachnophobia. I do not know if they have a word for fear of stock market crash (Wh***phobia?), but I am not that susceptible. Perhaps it's because I have been conditioned through the crash of 2003, where I lost nearly 1/2 of my stash, and was closing down my start-up business too.

If the market crashes, I will be "all in" this time. I swear!

Last edited:
I almost bought GM before I saw a new anti-GM Forbes article. I don't feel like looking for something else so I'll just keep 50% cash today. If I drop in rank today it's because I'm on vacation so it doesn't count.

Two weeks in and you're already making up excuses? :cool::LOL:

You're surprised? :cool::LOL:

ETA: Maybe you're surprised that it took a whole two weeks... :cool::LOL:

Last edited:
I almost bought GM before I saw a new anti-GM Forbes article. I don't feel like looking for something else so I'll just keep 50% cash today. If I drop in rank today it's because I'm on vacation so it doesn't count.

Well, I asked my psychic counselor for recommendations, so I was going with her picks. But on the way home, I saw a black crow following my car for 1 block, and took that as a sign to ignore the psychic. Then accidentally stepped on a hairline crack in the driveway walking to the mailbox to get the mail, so that negated the negative of the crow. So I was back to the counselor's recommendations. But this morning I saw an odd number of Cheerios left in my bowl when I was full, so I decided to do the opposite of the psychic's recommendations.

And here I am, battling it out for last place.

What? You are allowed to go on vacations? :LOL:

This is more reason why trading is so difficult compared to just investing passively.

Among other things, life gets in the way and is another variable to contend with.

Last edited:
OK then, I'll try to buy EXAR for $10.70. All of my previous trades worked, it's not like I'm anticipating a bad trade.

OK then, I'll try to buy EXAR for $10.70. All of my previous trades worked, it's not like I'm anticipating a bad trade.

While it's trading at 12.98$? How's that supposed to work? :confused:

While it's trading at 12.98$? How's that supposed to work? :confused:

I accidentally checked the after hours quote instead of the pre-market quote. I usually do this research after hours, not pre-market. You can't really predict the opening price by either one anyway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom