Tim Horton + Burger King? Will it work?

I once took a course where we had to accompany the police on their nocturnal rounds. I learned that Tim Horton's routinely provides free coffee (though not donuts) to cops on the beat. They like to see the cops coming in as it keeps the criminals away.
I believe those sorts of discounts are fairly common. When I lived in Los Angeles, the El Pollo Loco restaurant next to my place of work gave 50% discounts to LAPD officers, while my place of work gave a 25% discount (which, considering the mark-up of the goods we sold, was a generous discount).

Many retail businesses, understandably, like to have police officers as a regular presence.

Was there any other choice late at night? Often the reason is that no other place to eat is open other than the doughnut shop.

That is true, it was nearing midnight IIRC and it might have been the only place still serving food not just doughnuts.

I once took a course where we had to accompany the police on their nocturnal rounds. I learned that Tim Horton's routinely provides free coffee (though not donuts) to cops on the beat. They like to see the cops coming in as it keeps the criminals away.

That is a good idea, something I would do too if I was a business owner of something similar or a convenience store/gas station.

I learned that Tim Horton's routinely provides free coffee (though not donuts) to cops on the beat. They like to see the cops coming in as it keeps the criminals away.

That's pretty much an industry standard for that reason. The Dept. I worked for was vehemently against the policy since we had strictly enforced rules against accepting any sort of gratuity, including free coffee. It could get awkward with me wanting to pay for it and the poor clerk, under standing orders to give it to me, and a line forming behind.

When it got to that point I'd take the free coffee rather than make a scene about it. Really, I did get paid enough that buying my own coffee wasn't a hardship.

That's a travesty, IMO. A lot of people have a fondness for Tim Horton's, me included. Whenever visiting Canada, I always made a point of going to Timmy's. It would make no difference to me whether Burger King existed or not.

I know Timmy's is just a chain of coffee/sandwch/donut shops, but I like the no-nonsense coffee and sandwiches you could get there. The coffee was neither the overly strong stuff you get in places like Starbucks, nor the bad tasting "mud" that still languishes in the coffeepots of some diners. It, like the sandwiches, was just good, sensible fare. Trust the Canadians to come up with a chain that serves sensible food, and bless 'em for it!

I'm feeling a little sad today. Burger King are nothing special, and Timmy's is. They will surely spoil the Timmy's brand, given time.

I'm feeling a little sad today. Burger King are nothing special, and Timmy's is. They will surely spoil the Timmy's brand, given time.

That's what I'm afraid of too. :(

I do wonder if it will kill the Timmy's cult following, sort of like how Krispy Kreme became nothing.
I am always amazed when travel into Canada, that folks will line up at Tim Hortons, while other places have zero line up (M'cDs , A&W), at breakfast time.
Personally, I find the M'cD coffee good or better, and skip Tim Horton.

Don't like Burger King or Tim Hortons.

I have never been to Tim Horton's. I am going to Canada next month. What should I try there? (I am afraid I am not a coffee drinker or a donut eater...)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I have never been to Tim Horton's. I am going to Canada next month. What should I try there? (I am afraid I am not a coffee drinker or a donut eater...)

Coffee and donuts (or muffins or bagels) are the signature products at Tim Horton's. If you don't want either of those, you could have soup and a sandwich for lunch, or a breakfast muffin. You can check out the menu at Tim Hortons

Last edited:
Aside from donuts and muffins, Tims give the impression of providing healthy stuff.

Back
Top Bottom