Today is always the hardest day to buy!

NYEXPAT

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am sitting on 83% cash/treas bills right now. I have been waiting very impatiently to start nibbling again at the S&P 500. Volume is looking good for a big bite near the close.

Then my Father's favorite words come to mind!

Nible nible nible goes the rebalancer. Second chance at the 10% off sale. Are you buying the index or do you see some bargins in the bin? What would Warren do? Buy more Apple?

Gobble, gobble, gobble, goes the market timer?

Well, I would, if I had 83% in cash as the OP. As it is, I may hold my nose and buy a minuscule 5-figure sum, just so I can claim I bought at the low later.

Darn, it's hard to buy when seeing my Quicken screen full of red ink.

I will give you credit just for thinking about buying today. A mans got to know his limitations.

This market is crazy. Apple is still down, but some semiconductors like Applied Material opened down more than 3%, then rapidly climbed to 7% gain compared to yesterday's close. If you blink, you miss it. A change of 10% in matter of minutes.

Day trader's delight. Too bad I am not good at day trading.

This market is crazy. Apple is still down, but some semiconductors like Applied Material opened down more than 3%, then rapidly climbed to 7% gain compared to yesterday's close. If you blink, you miss it. A change of 10% in matter of minutes.

It works both ways for day traders. Someone has probably short sold at 3% down.

And a good day to ignore the market and/or talking heads on TV. I took a quick listen on CNBC this AM after yesterday's sell off and they were discussing just how LONG today was going to be and what the market might do. I suppose if you were day trading it *could* be a long day, but for me...thankfully...just another day.

I bought some today. I buy and hold long term dividend payers and when they go on sale I say thank you and buy some.

A juggler has to catch a falling knife sometime.

Emotional Me is distressed by falls in the indices today.

Brainy Me whispers "That's why we've been cash-heavy lately. Nibble, nibble, nibble...."

(H/t to Spock who beat me to the "falling knife" reference.)

I am sitting on 83% cash/treas bills right now. I have been waiting very impatiently to start nibbling again at the S&P 500. Volume is looking good for a big bite near the close.

Good luck. Buying the dip can work, but I would be careful in these times. I personally don't see anything on the horizon that is going to turn this market around, in the near-term anyway. Seems like we are overdue for a pullback after 8-9 pretty good years. And there could be some big political bombshells dropped soon that could really roil the markets. But I have no crystal ball, so I could be way off the mark. That is one reason why I am mostly out of equities these days.

I'd be interested to know what Running Man thinks about buying the dips right now?

I’m not nibbling today...I nibbled yesterday [emoji4]

Good luck. Buying the dip can work, but I would be careful in these times. I personally don't see anything on the horizon that is going to turn this market around, in the near-term anyway. Seems like we are overdue for a pullback after 8-9 pretty good years. And there could be some big political bombshells dropped soon that could really roil the markets. But I have no crystal ball, so I could be way off the mark. That is one reason why I am mostly out of equities these days.

I'd be interested to know what Running Man thinks about buying the dips right now?

Yeah, there may be a rally after a hard day down today due to oversold conditions, but a lot of what is happening seems to be overpriced stocks in the face or rising interest rates and a slowing global economy, so it just doesn’t feel like we’re done with the selling yet.

i buy my max allowed and catchup TSP shares every payday, they'll be worth bunches in 10 years !!!!!

Yeah, there may be a rally after a hard day down today due to oversold conditions, but a lot of what is happening seems to be overpriced stocks in the face or rising interest rates and a slowing global economy, so it just doesn’t feel like we’re done with the selling yet.

Or any other talking points that CNBC can put up in loud, flashy fonts. There will ALWAYS be something. Much of the time, there is *no* good rhyme or reason. No one has given me a good reason why recently stocks tend to take an immediate hit after a good earnings season. There is *no* good reason, and looking for a reason (or reasons) for stocks doing what they do is a fool's game. Don't get me wrong, I am not calling anyone here a fool...it's just fatiguing with all the "bad" news over the last number of [-]days weeks months years decades[/-] forever.

Bought some yesterday (dow components), bought some more this morning and it's looking like I may buy more this afternoon. Still over 90% cash in what I consider my risk capital bucket.

Even looking at oil again after today's drop.

Last edited:
Or any other talking points that CNBC can put up in loud, flashy fonts. There will ALWAYS be something. Much of the time, there is *no* good rhyme or reason. No one has given me a good reason why recently stocks tend to take an immediate hit after a good earnings season. There is *no* good reason, and looking for a reason (or reasons) for stocks doing what they do is a fool's game. Don't get me wrong, I am not calling anyone here a fool...it's just fatiguing with all the "bad" news over the last number of [-]days weeks months years decades[/-] forever.

Sure, which is why I rebalance rather than market time.

Doesn’t mean I won’t play the speculative talking game.

In the end I did nothing today and will look at the "technical s" again after the holiday's!

I did however use the day to take a walk along the Pacific ocean, stopping on my favorite bluff to have a nice blueberry cheesecake and a Americano!

I bought 1000 shares of Celgene near end of day for $66.80

It was like bargain day.

I have a cash allocation of roughly 10% overall right now thanks to the sale of our primary home last month. I sank 10% of that 10% in at the first 10% dip. I sank another 17% of that 10% in today, with 10% going US and 7% going international. I'll keep buying all the way down to 0% cash if the market continues down... which I hope it does right in advance of bonus season!

Sure, which is why I rebalance rather than market time..

That’s the best way to stay sane and on track. I’ll be withdrawing some amount in mid-December, directed by what my allocation spreadsheet says. It’s bounced around a lot recently so is interesting to watch, but I do best as a robot.

After posting on this thread about perhaps buying something, I went out to the backyard to work on my project, and when I got back inside the market had closed for an hour. So, did not buy anything. Maybe tomorrow.

Apple dropped another 4.8% today. From its top valuation, it has lost $215 billion. It's huge. Trillion-dollar company no more.

In comparison, the GDP of Vietnam is only $224 billion, and that of New Zealand is $206 billion.

Totally amazing.

That’s the best way to stay sane and on track. I’ll be withdrawing some amount in mid-December, directed by what my allocation spreadsheet says. It’s bounced around a lot recently so is interesting to watch, but I do best as a robot.

It’s actually the only way I can stay sane investing. It also lets me ignore the markets for long periods, and otherwise treat it as a spectator sport.

Yep - robotic and very low maintenance...

Back
Top Bottom