where are the gold threads?

You come in and start shouting at everyone like a sideshow barker with a rant on gold that is akin to trolling or spamming, and my reaction is acerbic?:LOL:

C-ya.

i wasnt shouting. i was laying out my case for converting some federal reserve notes into hard money. it was actually hard to keep it that short!

holding dollars is a sure way to lose purchasing power over time. for dollars to do well the US needs to have deflation. that's been a 70+ year losing streak.

gold is the other side of that bet.

the most conservative play is to hold both.

To the OP...

You sound like a crazy man... that is why you have received the reception you have...

Saying the Supreme Court is a puppet... of who:confused: You are not the kind that think there is a cabal of people who meet in secret and run the world:confused:

I will be pounding my head against a wall with the way you think... :banghead:

But hey... why not....

As someone pointed out... money is a store of value... gold is a store of value... either of them can be changed with something that is not in your control. Right now, the value of the dollar is being challenged by the amount of spending going on... this is a real concern... but you can put your money in almost anything that others would seem to think has value..

The value of gold could be reduced IF someone found a place where this is 1 billion tons of it.... the supply would be so huge the value would drop...

And lets say we are in the middle of the desert and you have gold and I have water.... what is more valuable then:confused:

The point is, the value of anything is in relation to something else... nothing is 'pure'...

BTW, I used to have a friend who would always say the same things you have.. I got tired of it and we have not seen each other for 25 years... since he was saying this 25 years ago... nothing major has changed...

One of the things he also used to say which we have not yet been graced from you is the illegal income tax.... let me know if it is legal or not... I really want to know...

you - As someone pointed out... money is a store of value...

are you saying that the federal reserve note is a store of value?

the supreme court is a puppet of corporate interests.

I suggest you start using capitals as appropriate in your posting. I don't appreciate the insult. Don't tell me you don't know what it means or other excuses Nor do I wish to discuss it. I'll just add you to my ignore list if it is continued.

Gold may be in a bull market with its peak in 2020.
See the chart and audio file at the link below.
Observations for Sunday March 7 2010 Today's topics Advances my Gold T Theory with two charts, a link to historical data, and one Audio commentary. Click on the images for a larger sized chart.
Terry Laundry's T Theory™ Observations: Gold T Theory

Gold is an investment like any other. It is not a panacea. TGLDX or GLD are ways to play it.
People in India, China, SEA etc have a history of individuals buying some gold because of inflation and political turmoil.

This kinda reminds me of the MMND episode.

In retrospect, it was obvious that the tech stock bubble was over and prices were about to plunge when my babysitter and the kid who mows the lawn started asking me about how they could participate in any new Tech IPOs I might know about.

Right now, I can buy and sell gold through the mail, at numerous storefronts and even at "tupperware" style gold parties at my neighbors house. There are infomercials on TV and radio. Now we have brand new posters starting their introductions by hawking gold. Is this the equivalent moment for gold? Time to sell and sit on the sidelines?

This kinda reminds me of the MMND episode.

sSc_spin.gif
sSc_spin.gif
sSc_spin.gif

In retrospect, it was obvious that the tech stock bubble was over and prices were about to plunge when my babysitter and the kid who mows the lawn started asking me about how they could participate in any new Tech IPOs I might know about.

Right now, I can buy and sell gold through the mail, at numerous storefronts and even at "tupperware" style gold parties at my neighbors house. There are infomercials on TV and radio. Now we have brand new posters starting their introductions by hawking gold. Is this the equivalent moment for gold? Time to sell and sit on the sidelines?

what everybody is missing is that gold is not going up. paper currencies are going down.

gold is just the first to react to the debasing of the paper money. other things will rise in price too - but for them to rise there has to be a restoration of velocity.

gold is the canary in the gold mine :) because of this the owners of the fed actively try to suppress the price. their price manipulation is running out of fuel - as physical gold cannot be printed.

if interested in the gold/silver suppression scheme check out GATA and a whistleblower named andrew maguire. there's a lot going on right now regarding this issue.

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/images/2008/dow_gold_ratio_200years_feb08.jpg

this chart shows gold versus dow. it shows how many ounces of gold to buy the dow. it's a loooong term chart. there are distinct cycles where each outperform.

in year 2000 it took 50 ounces of gold. now it takes 8. gold has KILLED stocks for a decade.

imo we are headed to 4 ish ounces of gold to buy the dow - look at where the previous cycles bottomed.

at what price for each? who knows..

let me translate -- money moving
Ha ha. Very funny. You mean like in the back of armored cars?

Or maybe it's some obscure reference to general consumer economic activity.

EDITED to add: Sorry for the snippy response. I do not understand your term or the sentence fragment that contains it. Answering with another sentence fragment and simply substituting the word "moving" for the word "velocity" was not enlightening. I'm actually making an effort here to try to understand your points despite the rather difficult presentation. Apparently my patience was wearing thinner than I thought.

That's an interesting chart. If I had any kind of asset allocation for gold and stocks, I would have to conclude that now is the time to balance out of gold and into stocks. Or are you saying gold is different and should be played for unprecedented momentum?

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/images/2008/dow_gold_ratio_200years_feb08.jpg

this chart shows gold versus dow. it shows how many ounces of gold to buy the dow. it's a loooong term chart. there are distinct cycles where each outperform.

in year 2000 it took 50 ounces of gold. now it takes 8. gold has KILLED stocks for a decade.

imo we are headed to 4 ish ounces of gold to buy the dow - look at where the previous cycles bottomed.

at what price for each? who knows..

What I see is an almost continuous 200 year decline in the relative value of gold.

Why? As HaHa suggested, the "utility" value of gold decreased.

IMHO, The demand for gold is primarily based on fear not on any intrinsic value.

What I also see is that the only time that the ratio was below the 75% confidence limit trend line for a long time period was during the stagflation of the 70s.

I get a value of 8.6 (=10,620/1227) for the current ratio. That is below the current 75% confidence limit of about 10. Thus you are making a bet that the ratio will decline further when it has only been below that limit for about 10% of the last 200 years!

Seems to me that what this chart tells me is that buying gold is like betting against the house. You may get lucky and time it right but in the long term it is a bad deal.

With regard to the timing, I admit that this may well be a good time to buy because of all the stimulus money but that remains to be seen. Like many on this forum I have a modest exposure to commodities and think that is quite adequate.

i've been lurking. i liked what i saw, so i joined. seemed to be a good group -
the reception isn't what i expected.
i see high inflation coming - what's wrong with raising the warning flag?
economics is my thing -- i am looking foward to exchanging ideas/info with all of you.
We are a good group, thank you!

Most "new posters" who make the transition to "valued members" start with an introductory post and choose a topic that relates to, um, ER. They tend to talk a bit about their own ER plans or their portfolio's asset allocations and then they ask a lot of questions.

Other posters jump right in. Some of them are posters who've been previously banned and are trying again under new IDs, but the moderators have pretty good tools for sniffing out those miscreants.

Other jump-right-in posters tend to be more interested in spamming their website or pushing up the trading volume of an asset like small-cap stocks or, um, precious metals.

A third category of jump-right-in posters have their own agenda. They tend to tell us how it is while resorting to opinionated diatribes, admonishments, and even attacks. They're interested in what others have to say only to the extent that it gives them a new reason to pound that one key on their piano. A few especially popular topics among this demographic are precious metals, inflation, government, and politics.

Within their first few posts, all three categories of those posters tell us that they don't feel welcome... and eventually they huff off. Or the moderators help them find the exit.

We see this behavior a lot, and the long-term members have seen quite a bit of it. So while you may feel that your reception isn't particularly warm, perhaps it's because most of the other posters are waiting to see whether you're going to make the transition or whether you're going to fall into one of the other groups. A few of the posters feel they already have enough data to make a decision.

And one or two of the posters may feel as if they're handing you the rope as fast as you can wrap it around your neck...

Just so you know.

Nords: Jedi Master of the ER Forum. May the force be with you.

Ha ha. Very funny. You mean like in the back of armored cars?

Or maybe it's some obscure reference to general consumer economic activity.

EDITED to add: Sorry for the snippy response. I do not understand your term or the sentence fragment that contains it. Answering with another sentence fragment and simply substituting the word "moving" for the word "velocity" was not enlightening. I'm actually making an effort here to try to understand your points despite the rather difficult presentation. Apparently my patience was wearing thinner than I thought.

no offense taken - or intended

velocity defined: Velocity of money - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's an interesting chart. If I had any kind of asset allocation for gold and stocks, I would have to conclude that now is the time to balance out of gold and into stocks. Or are you saying gold is different and should be played for unprecedented momentum?

you are right, the easy money has been made.

i focus on the last two peaks and valleys. notice it took only a few ounces of gold to buy the dow. this third run has dropped it from 50 to 8. i plan on shifting assets at 4 ish ounces.

will it be dow 8000 gold 2000? dow 20,000 gold 5000? dunno :confused:

Maybe the part you should have highlighted is "No State shall . . . "

But then again, you'd think the title of Article 1, Section 10 "Powers Prohibited of States" should have been a give away.

Meanwhile, Article 1, Section 8 titled Powers of Congress gives Congress the power . . . This makes no mention of gold. And further, specifically gives Congress the ability to "regulate the Value" of money.

Indeed. Congress could declare that tinfoil is money, in which case our new friend could make a mint off his headgear.

We are a good group, thank you!

Most "new posters" who make the transition to "valued members" start with an introductory post and choose a topic that relates to, um, ER. They tend to talk a bit about their own ER plans or their portfolio's asset allocations and then they ask a lot of questions.

Other posters jump right in. Some of them are posters who've been previously banned and are trying again under new IDs, but the moderators have pretty good tools for sniffing out those miscreants.

Other jump-right-in posters tend to be more interested in spamming their website or pushing up the trading volume of an asset like small-cap stocks or, um, precious metals.

A third category of jump-right-in posters have their own agenda. They tend to tell us how it is while resorting to opinionated diatribes, admonishments, and even attacks. They're interested in what others have to say only to the extent that it gives them a new reason to pound that one key on their piano. A few especially popular topics among this demographic are precious metals, inflation, government, and politics.

Within their first few posts, all three categories of those posters tell us that they don't feel welcome... and eventually they huff off. Or the moderators help them find the exit.

We see this behavior a lot, and the long-term members have seen quite a bit of it. So while you may feel that your reception isn't particularly warm, perhaps it's because most of the other posters are waiting to see whether you're going to make the transition or whether you're going to fall into one of the other groups. A few of the posters feel they already have enough data to make a decision.

And one or two of the posters may feel as if they're handing you the rope as fast as you can wrap it around your neck...

Just so you know.

thanks for the comprehensive explanation. i really appreciate it.

you might add a fourth category - as i dont fit the others. i am an experienced message board vet - so i hit the ground running without the formalities.

i think this community has it nailed down. the only thing i saw that was lacking was the discussion of the best performing asset of the last decade - precious metals.

trying to bring value to the board i started with the subject that i saw was lacking. it's an important issue to me personally. the steady deterioration of the federal reserve note is imo criminal.

the inflation thread had some references to pm. so it hasn't been totally ingnored. my belief is that it deserved its own thread. it worked as planned - the thread got lots of replies and active discussions. i feel like i've done my job.

now i can move on to learning about 72t, discussing income generating assets, rental real estate, etc.

again, thanks for the detailed explanation :)

Back
Top Bottom