Anyone got any travel planned? 2018 version

OTC - melatonin or benadryl. Some folks swear by a cocktail, that really isn't quality sleep for me.
Prescription - benzos such as zolpidem. A buddy swears by muscle relaxers like flexeril. They tend to leave me groggy.
Alternative - eat 50mg of an Indicia edible about an hour before bedtime.

Flexeril & Indica!

I better have DS hook me up on the edibles. Probably have to ingest while in the security line. DS had a vape pen loaded w/CBD. Good for anxiety & sleep. Tried it and it did put me to sleep. But Flight Attendants might slap you in zip ties if you were in the bathroom too long

We recently booked a repositioning cruise for April 2019 - Ft. Lauderdale - Copenhagen, so will also be interested in suggestions.

We'll likely fly directly from Copenhagen to Helsinki, then catch one of the ferries.
Copenhagen ain't cheap, so getting to Finland probably is a good idea. The public transportation system in Copenhagen has a smart phone app where you can link it to your credit card, punch in your destination, then just show it to the driver....convenient. Just did "pay as you go" and I think it was cheaper than buying the package. Christiania was the most interesting place we went while in Copenhagen...chatted for hours with locals and world travelers while they enjoyed the freedoms of the hippy district (if you know what I mean).

Formulating a trip with a close friend to go to Cedarville, MI to build a boat kit at the supplier's location in early June (they have classes and a big workshop). It's a week + project and a two man job. The class funds and boat kit expense gets paid tomorrow once we confirm the class opening slot.

Here is the place:

https://www.clcboats.com/index.php

We plan on leaving Houston in the 1994 28' RV, pulling a trailer with a motorcycle on it and driving the 1600 miles to the venue. We will camp in Cedarville and start the project on a Monday morning when class starts and work all week until the boat is "mostly" finished. We will then load it and the bike on the trailer and head back to Houston.

Can two old boys of over 70 have some fun? Oh, no wives allowed on this adventure. I'm guessing we will be gone about 12 days in total.

Flexeril & Indica!

I better have DS hook me up on the edibles. Probably have to ingest while in the security line. DS had a vape pen loaded w/CBD. Good for anxiety & sleep. Tried it and it did put me to sleep. But Flight Attendants might slap you in zip ties if you were in the bathroom too long
You can eat a piece of candy anytime. Nobody knows what's in it.

I'm guessing a vape would be taken away immediately if used while in the aluminum tube.

Copenhagen ain't cheap, so getting to Finland probably is a good idea. The public transportation system in Copenhagen has a smart phone app where you can link it to your credit card, punch in your destination, then just show it to the driver....convenient. Just did "pay as you go" and I think it was cheaper than buying the package. Christiania was the most interesting place we went while in Copenhagen...chatted for hours with locals and world travelers while they enjoyed the freedoms of the hippy district (if you know what I mean).

Yup...been to Copenhagen....(I believe I recommended Christiania to you ;) ).....this'll be an off the ship-on the plane operation.

Just confirmed for a trip to the Panamanian rainforest for birding and nature in the fall. Also doing a similar in-country trip to Michigan in the spring.

No what is the hippy district?

Two glasses of champagne or red wine with dinner usually does it for me on international overnight flights!

Agreed. Additionally invest in a good set of noise-cancelling headphones. I usually drink a couple of glasses of wine, put on the headphones, turn on some relaxing music from my iPhone and go to sleep...:cool:

Yup...been to Copenhagen....(I believe I recommended Christiania to you ;) ).....this'll be an off the ship-on the plane operation.
Now that you mention it...LOL! DW is hanging out with her ailing dad, so I've got little on the agenda.

Heading to Chicago this weekend for The Adventurists annual "conference". There a a few people I met in earlier travels that I'm looking forward to visiting with. I'm not sure if they'll have an adventure that's tame enough for me though.

Just booked another trip to USVI last night! 11 nights on Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas to celebrate our 20th anniversary! Used miles & points so almost free, which is good since we have a 44-night trip to Greece planned later this year. :dance:[emoji322]

I booked a flight (for DH and two of our adult offspring) for a few days during the first week in May to Phoenix because Southwest was having a sale out of Little Rock.

Please let me know if you have suggestions. Phoenix is not looking like that much fun. I am thinking a day trip to Sedona should be on our agenda.

(I booked the flights before checking TripAdvisor, but I know there are wonderful experiences ahead.)

I love the outdoor desert museum in Tucson, and great birding areas south of there. May is already warm, but will still be great.

Flying to El Fuerte to begin a 5 day train trip through the Copper Canyon on March 5. Looking forward to enjoying this historic part of Mexico.

Tuscon+++++!

Food, Saguaro Nat'l Park (both East and West), beautiful white mission church in south Tuscon, (can't remember name).

I booked a flight (for DH and two of our adult offspring) for a few days during the first week in May to Phoenix because Southwest was having a sale out of Little Rock.

Please let me know if you have suggestions. Phoenix is not looking like that much fun. I am thinking a day trip to Sedona should be on our agenda.

(I booked the flights before checking TripAdvisor, but I know there are wonderful experiences ahead.)
Sedona is great as is the drive up to Jerome.

I have only been in the area as a tourist so the locals on here will know more but I think Sedona is a fantastic little town. Amazing, amazing scenery. Good restaurants. Lots of outdoor activities if that is your bag.

I remember the drive up to Flagstaff was cool (hwy 89 maybe ?) with lots of amazing viewing points.

Also nearby but in the other direction is the town of Jerome. Strange little place built up the side of a hill with lots of interesting architecture. Lots of artsy fartsy boutiques, galleries and a few wineries.

Thank you for the AZ advice: Tucson, Jerome, Sedona, the Saguaro National Park....

This trip is sounding better and better & this forum is the best. :)

Thank you for the AZ advice: Tucson, Jerome, Sedona, the Saguaro National Park....

May will be dry and hot (typically 100+) during the day in Phoenix and Tucson (a few degrees cooler). Nights will be pleasant. Sedona will be 10F cooler than Phoenix and Flagstaff 25-30F cooler. Sun is very intense in May so use sunscreen and hats. I would also recommend the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix. If you are in good shape, Piestewa Peak and Camelback Mountain are great hikes but do them before 10AM and take plenty of water. You can also drive to the top of South Mountain for a great view of metro Phoenix. I would also mention the Heard Museum for its impressive collection focused on native American culture. Frank Lloyd Wright fans would enjoy a visit to Taliesin West.

In Tucson, in addition to the Desert Museum and the Saguaro National Park, the drive to the top of Mt. Lemmon is very enjoyable. If you are into Cold War history, a visit to the Titan Missile Museum is fun.

If you go to Sedona, you are best to do it on a weekday as weekends the traffic is very bad. I always recommend doing a Pink Jeep 4WD tour (specifically the Broken Arrow tour.) Fun and informative. The Oak Creek Canyon drive north towards Flagstaff is beautiful. If you spend any time in Flagstaff, there's lots to do but I like Sunset Crater and the lava fields for a fascinating change of pace. Flagstaff is at about 7,000 feet above sea level which can be a problem for some.

Starting to prepare for a trip to Scandinavia. Ten days in Copenhagen, Göteborg, and Stockholm. Yes, I know it's March.

The highlight will be taking delivery of a new Volvo at the factory and driving it around for a few days before turning it back in for shipment home.

A few here have done the Volvo Overseas Delivery program, but this is my first time (and first Volvo), so I'm pretty excited about it. I'll be getting one of the last ones (of this model) made in Sweden, as they are moving production to their factory in China.

Go to Lake Powell and book a houseboat....that's something on my bucket list.

Enjoying our last two days on the beach on Ko Lanta in Thailand. One week earlier than planned.

We head back to the cold and snow in three days. On the bright side, we have missed one of the coldest and snowiest winters on record.

Another outstanding attraction east of Tucson is Karchner Caverns. This underground spectacle is worth the trip out of Tucson. It's a state park and the tour is very well done. You would need tickets in advance. One of the cavern tours will be unavailable at the time you visit because of nesting bats but IMHO, the other tour is equally amazing.

Another outstanding attraction east of Tucson is Karchner Caverns. This underground spectacle is worth the trip out of Tucson. It's a state park and the tour is very well done. You would need tickets in advance. One of the cavern tours will be unavailable at the time you visit because of nesting bats but IMHO, the other tour is equally amazing.

The rangers at Saguaro recommended Karchner. However, after spending 35 years underground in a coal mine, I declined. I am hoping my next underground gig is at least 32 years away, as I have been retired now for 3 years.:D

Europe next month. Netherlands and Belgium.
In late October, a month in NZ for a self drive.

secretflying.com and fly4free.com has good prices for airfare

Back
Top Bottom