Applied for Global Entry - what happens next?

lucky penny

Full time employment: Posting here.
After applying for Global Entry & paying the fee last September, I haven't heard anything since except for occasional emails saying: "In lieu of scheduling an appointment at a Global Entry Enrollment Center, you have the unique opportunity to interview for Global Entry" at an airport when I return from an international trip.

I'd been waiting to get some notification from them about scheduling an appointment, but never did. Is that supposed to happen? Did anyone get a notification like that after you applied, & how long did that take? I see that there is one GE enrollment center in NYC so I'll call them next week to see what I can find out, but I wonder how this is supposed to work.

I'd prefer getting that approval before taking my next trip, rather than trying to do it at the airport when I return.

They won't notify you at all. You have to log on to their website and see your status. Surely it has been approved by now, so while you're logged on you can schedule your interview.

I had planned to do my interview coming back in the country. It was during the shutdown and they wouldn’t do it. So now I scheduled one for the first available day. May 14

You should have gotten an email telling you that your status was updated so you should login to see the new status. When I applied I got that email in my email almost immediately (but I had an active security clearance issued by DHS at the time), and DH had his within a day or two. Whatever notification they sent you may have gone into your spam folder or gotten lost in the ether, so definitely login and see what's what.

My recollection is that there's a limited time period (maybe 6 months?) to schedule your interview, so don't wait too long.

Thanks to all.

I went to the site & figured it out. It turns out that you're supposed to get notification of "conditional approval" within 3 to 5 weeks but I guess I missed that.

I now see that the only place to schedule an interview in NYC is at JFK so there may be some logic in trying to do it when you return from a trip, but without an appointment, waiting around at the airport isn't appealing. So I guess I will make the trek & just do it. You have 365 days from conditional approval to do the interview but I want get this done soon.

Back
Top Bottom