Argentina and/or Chile?

bearkeley

Recycles dryer sheets
We are thinking of exploring either or both countries this November - April and thought I’d check and see if anyone has traveled or retired there to give some insight and tips. We realize both have the weather variances depending on where you are, but since the idea was to escape Virginia’s winter, we would most likely prefer to spend more time in the warmer climate and not spend more than a couple of weeks at a time in the colder areas.

Specific questions include:

- if we rented an apartment for a month to practice our Spanish, experience the local vibes and maybe some tango with local wine, where would you recommend we stay?

- we understand flying is better than long range bus trips...true?

- we like to hike and depending on climate, would probably like to do a few two nite hikes. Any experiences?

- would it make sense to see both countries in 4 - 5 months or just so one?

We took a 15 day photography tour in Patagonia a year ago April, so saw Chile and Argentina. Our favorite places were Patagonia National Park, El Chalten, and Torres del Paine. 4-5 months is plenty for both. Argentina has a very favorable exchange rate just now.

Attachments

• IMG_1213-22FB.jpg
    IMG_1213-22FB.jpg
    556.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1263FB 2.jpg
    IMG_1263FB 2.jpg
    645.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Wow! Amazing pictures! If reality looks as good as your pictures, then I definitely want to go!

I would do both> I have attached a copy of our trip story

Attachments

• SOUTH AMERICA 2014 short.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 52
We took a 15 day photography tour in Patagonia a year ago April, so saw Chile and Argentina. Our favorite places were Patagonia National Park, El Chalten, and Torres del Paine. 4-5 months is plenty for both. Argentina has a very favorable exchange rate just now.

Wow! Love the pics!

@ Souschef, really enjoyed your photos and descriptions of your cruise and land excursions around South America, and how even cruise-sponsored land excursions can get so totally messed up. I will be leaving next week for a small group tour of Peru and Ecuador; perhaps someday I will spring for a major cruise such as yours.

@ Souschef, really enjoyed your photos and descriptions of your cruise and land excursions around South America, and how even cruise-sponsored land excursions can get so totally messed up. I will be leaving next week for a small group tour of Peru and Ecuador; perhaps someday I will spring for a major cruise such as yours.
I hope you will be going to Macchu Pichu. It is an experience. If you are going by train from Cuzco, sit on the left hand side so you can look down at the river. All you see from the right hand side is stone.
I do not know if you are going out to the Galapagos. I really enjoyed that trip.

I hope you will be going to Macchu Pichu. It is an experience. If you are going by train from Cuzco, sit on the left hand side so you can look down at the river. All you see from the right hand side is stone.
I do not know if you are going out to the Galapagos. I really enjoyed that trip.

Yes, I will be going to both Machu Picchu and the Galapagos Islands. Thanks for the tip about the train.

I would do both> I have attached a copy of our trip story

Well, you’ve inspired us! Booked a cruise from Miami to Santiago, then another one from Santiago to Antarctica to Buenos Aires. If we like cruising (and don’t gain too much weight), then we might book another cruise from Buenos Aires to Miami to circumnavigate South America. Now it’s just planning the rest of our 4 month trip!

We are thinking of exploring either or both countries this November - April and thought I’d check and see if anyone has traveled or retired there to give some insight and tips. We realize both have the weather variances depending on where you are, but since the idea was to escape Virginia’s winter,...................

- we understand flying is better than long range bus trips...true?
I agree that a bus trip from Virginia to either would be excessively long. ;)

jeanie and I live vicariously through souschef's travels, but are content living here in Peru.

;)

I agree that a bus trip from Virginia to either would be excessively long. ;)

Well, since we are retired, I guess time isn’t the issue...but since a bus can’t get to Antarctica, maybe we’ll just do the cruise [emoji12]

Back
Top Bottom