Don't Need Real ID If You Have Passport

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I took a ton of documents with me to renew my driver's license, but it turned out that because only the last four digits of my social were showing on my 1099, I didn't have what I needed.

Luckily, I decided to just renew and get a regular old driver's license, figuring I'd go back at my leisure to get a Real ID.

Then Lena informed me that if I have a passport, I don't need a Real ID. So I'm good for another eight years.

I was also worried that I'd fail the vision test because of my PVD, but I passed with flying colors.

That’s correct. A US issued passport is a Real ID. Just don’t forget to carry it for domestic flights starting 1 October 2020.

Last edited:
Thanks, TromboneAl. It's good to know.

I went to renew DM's driver license to regular ID (she no longer can drive). The lady at the DMV thought DM was applying for real ID and asked for 2 IDs (passport, SS), and two proofs that she lives in the current address like PG&E bill, etc.. Of course, I didn't have them all. So, I told the lady that she won't be traveling again and just issue her a regular id. And that was that. If it becomes DW and my turn to get a real ID, I will come ready with all the docs. If not, passport it is.

I took a ton of documents with me to renew my driver's license, but it turned out that because only the last four digits of my social were showing on my 1099, I didn't have what I needed.

I guess you never are too old to learn. Got an extra 50 steps in today because I couldn't believe this...........but you are right, except geezers have an advantage because the SSA-1099 still has the full number (as of 2018, anyway). Must be what I took.

In my state the lines at DMV are a disaster so you really want to get it done when you have to have it renewed and not make a special trip.

I finally got the gold star on my TXDL when I renewed recently. I supplied my SS card, and they always have required, and I took my passport.

I have to go renew in person because I have to fill out a form claiming that I don’t drive commercially as I have a class B (heavy vehicle) license.

I made an appointment online. The place was jam packed, like couple 100 people, but I was the 4th person called once I checked in at the door.

That’s correct. A US issued passport is a Real ID. Just don’t forget to carry it for domestic flights starting 1 October 2020.

Will everyone need a current passport for domestic travel then?

(I don't want to renew mine as I have no plans to leave the country AGAIN)

If you don’t have the real ID on your license and you use your passport, can you use the passport card? Or, do you need the passport book?

Luckily, I decided to just renew and get a regular old driver's license, figuring I'd go back at my leisure to get a Real ID.

Then Lena informed me that if I have a passport, I don't need a Real ID. So I'm good for another eight years.

I was also worried that I'd fail the vision test because of my PVD, but I passed with flying colors.

My passport was expired so I had a bit of difficulty. I like the fact this version of my ID shows I am a veteran right on it. I don't think I have any other official form besides the 214 that shows this so the convenience of having that designation right on the ID was worth the cost. Sounds like I might be doing a bit of international travel again soon so I will need to finally renew the passport that expired 6mos ago. I pray that process is easier.

If you don’t have the real ID on your license and you use your passport, can you use the passport card? Or, do you need the passport book?

Yes, if traveling domestically but not internationally.

According to travel.state.gov, the passport card is good for

Entering the United States at land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from:
Canada
Mexico
The Caribbean
Bermuda

The passport card cannot be used for international air travel.

The passport card is Real ID compliant and can be used for domestic air travel.

I just renewed my DL today and chose to not go for the real ID version. We may explore getting the passport cards (already have regular passports) for North American travel.

Will everyone need a current passport for domestic travel then?

(I don't want to renew mine as I have no plans to leave the country AGAIN)
No, if your state issued driver license is real ID compliant, you won’t need a Federal issued ID like a passport to fly domestically.

I am pretty sure passport card is good for domestic air travel as well as border crossings.

According to travel.state.gov, the passport card is good for
Entering the United States at land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from:
Canada
Mexico
The Caribbean
Bermuda

The passport card cannot be used for international air travel.

The passport card is Real ID compliant and can be used for domestic air travel.

Some states also have "Enhanced" drivers licenses that combine a drivers license and passport card into one card. I have one.

An enhanced driver's license (EDL) in U.S. English, enhanced driver's licence in Canadian English, or enhanced ID in other common usage, is a card which functions both as driving licence and ID card with limited passport features issued in some states in the United States and some provinces in Canada to people who are both citizens of the country and residents in the relevant region, compliant with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

An enhanced driver's license is allowed to be used as an alternative to a passport for international land and sea travel, but not air travel, to countries that recognize it. The card includes machine-readable RFID and barcode for automated identification of the card and its holder.

As a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative-compliant travel document, an EDL may be used for "official purposes" (such as boarding a domestic flight) covered by the U.S. REAL ID Act. However, a U.S. state that issues only EDLs, but does not issue any other REAL ID-compliant driver's license, is not deemed compliant with the REAL ID Act unless granted an extension. Likewise, REAL ID-compliant licenses alone are not sufficient to cross international borders, even if a state gives its REAL ID-compliant licenses a similar name.

Enhanced driver's licenses are available to U.S. citizens who reside in the states of Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington.

Enhanced driver's licenses are available to Canadian citizens residing in British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and formerly Quebec. After running it for five years, Quebec discontinued the enhanced driver's license program, citing low demand as the reason. Current enhanced driver's license (Driver's Licence Plus) identification cards will remain valid until their expiration dates. ....

I have an "Enhanced" DL.

If you drive to places like Canada, a "Enhanced" DL will get you through the gates. If you live in MN, that is handy. Also a "Enhanced" DL works on a flight domestically.

It saves from having to carry a passport around. I already carry my ID, why carry anything else if I do not have to.

I have an "Enhanced" DL.

If you drive to places like Canada, a "Enhanced" DL will get you through the gates. If you live in MN, that is handy. Also a "Enhanced" DL works on a flight domestically.

It saves from having to carry a passport around. I already carry my ID, why carry anything else if I do not have to.

+1 I golf in Canada 5-10 times a year and it makes crossing the border easy peasy since I always have my wallet and EDL with me.... I don't have to remember to bring my passport if I'm golfing in Canada.

No, if your state issued driver license is real ID compliant, you won’t need a Federal issued ID like a passport to fly domestically.

Thanks, I didn't know about the DL having the designation. Mine does since I renewed it last year.

In my state the lines at DMV are a disaster so you really want to get it done when you have to have it renewed and not make a special trip.

I have lasting trauma from growing up in NY. Once I spent six hours in line at the DMV.

California's is excellent, though. You make an appointment, they have floaters to answer questions, and everyone is nice.

I don't yet have a RealID license, but when MO FINALLY passed the law to issue them, in March, I started to look to see what I needed. I had the same issue as you with only the last four digits being shown on every document I could locate, and I hadn't seen my SS card in 20-30 years.

So, I went down to the nearest SS office to get a replacement card. I used my passport and my (non-RealID) driver's license for ID, had a new card in a week. Now I can use my passport, new SS card, along with 2 proofs of residency, to get a new RealID license (see a little circular logic here?)

yep, my passport is due for renewal next year, driver's license not until several years later.

so I'll just pay for the passport card as well & use that until I have to renew my DL.

My DL had to be renewed earlier this summer. Here, you can do all DL stuff at AAA. I joined for that reason. I have towing from my car insurance. But the DMV here is sheer hell. I need to renew my passport very soon. I got the photos taken at AAA. Anyhow, I have a real ID driver’s license. It wasn’t hard.

I have to renew next year and thought I had to get a Real ID. I would prefer to get one but I am not sure about the needed documents. I tried to get a SS card but can’t get one online or by phone. Some problem about too old for the data base - I lost my card 50 years ago and haven’t needed one since.

I have to renew next year and thought I had to get a Real ID. I would prefer to get one but I am not sure about the needed documents. I tried to get a SS card but can’t get one online or by phone. Some problem about too old for the data base - I lost my card 50 years ago and haven’t needed one since.

Do you have any official document that shows your full SS #, like a tax document or an SS document? Check your state DMV website to see which documents they will accept as proof of SS #.

Back
Top Bottom