Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-20-2015, 09:13 AM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Security:
Try this now: Back when the 747 first came out, you could just walk down to the gate and check it out as part of their PR.

I remember that my buddies and I walked onto a 747, went through the whole plane (including an elevator that went to a lower area); I have a photo of me sitting in the pilot's seat. There was NO ONE there!

Someone went out and brought some beer aboard and we sat in the top level (back when it was a First Class lounge) and someone played the electric piano. Again, no one came along to move us out...the plane was there overnight for service or something.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2015, 09:48 AM   #182
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I'm glad I got to see so many international destinations in Europe and Asia (for free) that I visited while working (and while I was younger) since I would have never gone on my own dime and certainly would not deal with the flying hassles of today now that I'm retired. These days, I refuse to fly, even in the US. Probably since I now have the time and love to drive and have no desire for anymore international travel.
This parallels my flying experiences and current travel desires to a tee. I guess many of us old timer's who flew for years on business just got spoiled and now won't consider flying commercial unless force to.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #183
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps if I spent much of my working life flying here and there on business trips, I would no longer find flying interesting. But, I didn't.

I still think it is amazing that I can make a reservation today to be in Istanbul on November 10 at 4:40 PM, get in to a big tube near my home on November 9, and, usually be there as planned. For this, I put up with the hassles of modern air travel.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:48 PM   #184
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Security:
Try this now: Back when the 747 first came out, you could just walk down to the gate and check it out as part of their PR.

I remember that my buddies and I walked onto a 747, went through the whole plane (including an elevator that went to a lower area); I have a photo of me sitting in the pilot's seat. There was NO ONE there!

Someone went out and brought some beer aboard and we sat in the top level (back when it was a First Class lounge) and someone played the electric piano. Again, no one came along to move us out...the plane was there overnight for service or something.

I will give my interesting observations of a 747....

Back when either Reagan or Bush was President, a friend and I were visiting Yellowstone National Park... we stayed in West Yellowstone.. we did not know it, but the President was doing something in the park... Air Force One was parked at the airport... we only knew it was there when we were driving by going north toward Glacier National.... so we stopped to take a look at it...

I was just sitting near the building.... no security that we could see...We walked up toward the airplane... saw nobody on the outside... saw no lights on inside.... and the stairs were rolled up to the plane... for a few seconds we both looked at each other and were thinking.... and then both came to our senses and walked back to our car.... nobody every came.. nobody every showed themselves....

We had a great time talking about how we would have been shot when we got to the top of the stairs.... OR that we could have gotten some great pics.... (#1 was much more likely)....
Old 05-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #185
Give me a forum ...

This might help those who don't like flying and use the Minneapolis airport:

Welcome to “Hidden Airport”

Newest Addition: the “quiet area” at Minneapolis-St. Paul (MSP)

Quote:
On the whole, the Minneapolis airport is about as architecturally unexciting as they come. <snip>. And like most American airports, it has a noise pollution problem. But unlike most American airports, it has a place to escape the racket: an upper-level “quiet area” overlooking the central atrium of the Lindbergh (Delta Air Lines) Terminal