How do you make calls and use data when traveling to Europe?

Word of caution with T-Mobile. The other day I received a text from them:

The majority of the recent T-Mobile usage on line xxxxx has been roaming internationally. Per our terms and conditions roaming benefits are not intended for extensive use abroad. * You can use Wi-Fi to reduce your international usage. See details: t-mo.co/roaming

This is from a 28 day trip to Europe in July. I called them to ask what constitutes “excessive use abroad” and the call rep wasn’t very specific. Looking online, as far as I could tell it’s >50% of international usage in a billing cycle.

I would think they should look over your usage in a calendar year or at least over a few months.

The fun part for me is that I’ll be roaming for almost another 4 weeks in September. I’m sure to be flagged again, at which point who knows what they will do.

Based on what I’ve read, they probably won’t cancel your account, but they might disable international data roaming.

I should also add that I pay extra for One+ that gives me double roaming speeds (256kb instead of 128kb).

This makes me somewhat annoyed. I wish that Google Fi supported iPhones. I’d rather pay for what I use and get faster speeds internationally.

I’ve never had a similar warning and I’ve done more than one 30 day European trip. Maybe you had very heavy use?

I’ve never had a similar warning and I’ve done more than one 30 day European trip. Maybe you had very heavy use?

This is my first warning after having taken many longer international vacations (3-4 weeks).

Yes, I think my usage might be high, but not necessarily any more than before. Over the last couple of years I tend to avoid wifi and stick with the cell networks for most things. Usually for convenience, security and avoiding flakey wifi.

I think part of this might be T-Mobile cracking down on excessive roaming. On our next trip, I’ll try and use more wifi and see if that avoids another text.

Do you connect to WIFI when available?

Word of caution with T-Mobile. The other day I received a text from them:

This is from a 28 day trip to Europe in July. I called them to ask what constitutes “excessive use abroad” and the call rep wasn’t very specific. Looking online, as far as I could tell it’s >50% of international usage in a billing cycle.

I would think they should look over your usage in a calendar year or at least over a few months.

The fun part for me is that I’ll be roaming for almost another 4 weeks in September. I’m sure to be flagged again, at which point who knows what they will do.

Based on what I’ve read, they probably won’t cancel your account, but they might disable international data roaming.

I should also add that I pay extra for One+ that gives me double roaming speeds (256kb instead of 128kb).

This makes me somewhat annoyed. I wish that Google Fi supported iPhones. I’d rather pay for what I use and get faster speeds internationally.
We didn't have any trouble even though we were in Europe for almost 2 months last year. We had almost no calls that were not on WiFi, but used plenty of texts and data. We use wifi whenever we can.

Last edited:
We have T-Mobile One (Military plan). All is included unlimited data, unlimited texting and voice at $00.25 per minute on voice. Texting works for us 99% of the time. Been with T-Mobile for over 18 years. They just keep getting better all the time.

... That Google Fi looks like a decent option.
One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is that Project Fi will also give customers several data-only SIMs. Four, IIRC. We have those SIMs in our two Nexus 7 tablets, so we have direct internet access/no screwing with hot spots. I also have one in an old Nexus phone, making it fully capable of accessing Google Maps and any other internet data even though the telephone function is not there. I use it to mimic a stand-alone GPS in the car.

All the data used by a customer, both phones and data-only cards, is aggregated before the $10/GB charge is calculated. So our data charge will be zero if none of our five devices with access to cellular data actually use it during the month.

Wow - several interesting ideas here, thank you all! DH is the techie in our family so I am going to forward this thread to him and see what he decides.

We did check out the TMobile plan for $60/month for two lines but decided against it at the time for a few reasons. They said we’d have to get new phones as our iPhone 6’s wouldn’t get good reception with their newer technology. Also TMobile has almost no coverage in the Caribbean where we spend a fair bit of time. And they don’t allow you to go beyond 2 lines for a nominal cost, whereas Verizon allowed us to add lines for cellular enabled iPads for $10/month extra per device. The TMobile plan for 4 devices was going to be more expensive than our Verizon plan, plus getting new phones wasn’t necessary for us with Verizon. YMMV

If you qualify for the military discount you would have unlimited texting, unlimited international data, voice calls at 25 cents per minute. We have 5 phones and a tablet on our T-mobile account for the total of $130 per month. That includes taxes etc.

Having been burned by charges while traveling over the years, I am ultra conservative now on plans and use. Just back from 3 weeks in Europe where I only used local wifi. Used Viber for phone calls when needed (anyone I would want to talk to has it on their phone or tablet) and texts, and thenmy regular email/web stuff via wifi connections. Same when in China last year (though I did not take any calls there so not sure how well Viber works in that country).

My back up in an emergency is to pay the $10 day charge of AT&T for international plan, but have never needed to do so, and similarly, gave up on buying local sims since wifi seems ubiquitous in places I visit. Of course, when out and about in the country I don't have ready access but I consider this a benefit not a hindrance to be honest (especially when traveling with a youth!). I can think of only one restaurant I visited last month that did not have reliable wifi, and I even received international calls in bar.

I am learning of new options from this thread but given the locations I visit, I'm generally happy with how I gain access now.

We didn't have any trouble even though we were in Europe for almost 2 months last year. We had almost no calls that were not on WiFi, but used plenty of texts and data. We use wifi whenever we can.

I’m pretty sure that’s the difference. I asked my kids if they got a text and they didn’t. They always connected to WiFi for the higher speeds. I’ll start using WiFi when it’s available.

I’m pretty sure that’s the difference. I asked my kids if they got a text and they didn’t. They always connected to WiFi for the higher speeds. I’ll start using WiFi when it’s available.
That's why I used WiFi when possible - the higher speeds. The free data was fine for updating GPS maps, looking up addresses, quite internet searches, but I didn't use it for in depth browsing while out and about.

I use T-Mobile, free data in most countries around the world. Call is abut 20 cents per minutes. Use wife will be free.

That's why I used WiFi when possible - the higher speeds. The free data was fine for updating GPS maps, looking up addresses, quite internet searches, but I didn't use it for in depth browsing while out and about.

It’s not that I didn’t use WiFi, but I did use a lot of the cell network. I just remembered that I can figure this out on my phone. Google Maps 2.1GB and Photos at 1.6GB.

I use iCloud Photo library, so everything was backed up immediately. No problem in the US, but I should disable this when traveling internationally and use WiFi instead.

For Google Maps, I downloaded some maps offline, but not everything and we were moving around a lot. Maybe I need to be more aggressive downloading offload maps.

Anyways, way off topic at this point for the OP, but I’m happy that I figured out how to avoid this in the future. :)

It’s not that I didn’t use WiFi, but I did use a lot of the cell network. I just remembered that I can figure this out on my phone. Google Maps 2.1GB and Photos at 1.6GB.

I use iCloud Photo library, so everything was backed up immediately. No problem in the US, but I should disable this when traveling internationally and use WiFi instead.

For Google Maps, I downloaded some maps offline, but not everything and we were moving around a lot. Maybe I need to be more aggressive downloading offload maps.

Anyways, way off topic at this point for the OP, but I’m happy that I figured out how to avoid this in the future. :)
I don't bother downloading google maps unless I know I'm going to be out of cell range. I don't think it takes much bandwidth and I use it heavily while traveling, although I'm usually looking at the maps before leaving the hotel, where I usually have WiFi available. Google always does some level of caching.

Backing up photos to iCloud sounds like the culprit!

Having been burned by charges while traveling over the years, I am ultra conservative now on plans and use. Just back from 3 weeks in Europe where I only used local wifi. Used Viber for phone calls when needed (anyone I would want to talk to has it on their phone or tablet) and texts, and thenmy regular email/web stuff via wifi connections. Same when in China last year (though I did not take any calls there so not sure how well Viber works in that country).

My back up in an emergency is to pay the $10 day charge of AT&T for international plan, but have never needed to do so, and similarly, gave up on buying local sims since wifi seems ubiquitous in places I visit. Of course, when out and about in the country I don't have ready access but I consider this a benefit not a hindrance to be honest (especially when traveling with a youth!). I can think of only one restaurant I visited last month that did not have reliable wifi, and I even received international calls in bar.

I am learning of new options from this thread but given the locations I visit, I'm generally happy with how I gain access now.

As one of the very few not permanently connected to a cell phone, that's right ... don't own one by choice. I will be checking this VIBER you speak of. Thanks for this.

Last edited:
T-Mobile defines excessive roaming as “using more than 50% of your voice or data off-network for an extended period of time.”

And what is "extended period of time?"

The vagueness of this term I find annoying. I called T-Mobile asking them this specific question and the person I talked to didn't give me a clear answer. Eventually they said something about >50% usage in a billing cycle.

Personally, I don't think a single billing cycle could be considered an extended period of time, but that's up to them. I just wish they were clearer on the limitations.

From the article you referenced:

To T-Mobile’s credit, a clause similar to the current clause that explicitly disallows usage of your device that “results in more than 50% of your voice and/or data usage being Off-Net (i.e., connected to another provider’s network) for any 2 billing cycles within any 12-month period” has been present in T-Mobile’s Terms and Conditions since June 28, 2008.

Now why didn't they include that instead of "extended period of time?"

I find that to be much clearer. They should include it with an asterisk when they mention free international roaming as part of their plan and not use vague terms. I have no problems with them limiting the feature, but they should state the limitations.

Use data and/or voice excessively while in the US to improve your on-network vs off-network ratio

Hmm...so it's time to stream a lot of video before I leave on my next trip?

Btw, this is the first time I ever had this problem after multiple years of traveling with T-Mobile roaming. I can easily avoid this from happening again, which now I'll make sure I do.

And as I mentioned earlier, I wish that I could move to Google Fi. I've enjoyed T-Mobile and think they provide a great service, but I suspect that Google Fi would save me money with the bonus of global high-speed data. I wish a similar service existed for iPhones.

... And as I mentioned earlier, I wish that I could move to Google Fi. I've enjoyed T-Mobile and think they provide a great service, but I suspect that Google Fi would save me money with the bonus of global high-speed data. I wish a similar service existed for iPhones.
FWIW and also for others, in our market one can buy a CraigsList Nexus 5x, a perfectly capable and Fi-compatible phone, in the $100-150 range. Today there is a brand new one at $250 but it's been advertised for over two weeks so can probably be bought for less.

So, cheap to switch if you're not addicted to Apple. Also cheap enough to buy for a trip and sell on return. I have done this several times with camera lenses and it is a cheap way to get and use a tool needed on a particular trip.

We have iPhones with Verizon. We have WiFi calling turned on. Putting the phone in airplane mode cuts off all cellular services (and charges).

When connected to decent WiFi we can make calls and text as usual, even with our son who has an android phone.

For local calls abroad we can use multiple apps: Skype, Line,... We can also use the hotel phone if the charges are appropriate.

(We also have VPN to our home router to protect our WiFi connections. We can use the VPN or Plex to download recorded TV shows and to upload photos.)

FWIW and also for others, in our market one can buy a CraigsList Nexus 5x, a perfectly capable and Fi-compatible phone, in the $100-150 range. Today there is a brand new one at $250 but it's been advertised for over two weeks so can probably be bought for less.

So, cheap to switch if you're not addicted to Apple. Also cheap enough to buy for a trip and sell on return. I have done this several times with camera lenses and it is a cheap way to get and use a tool needed on a particular trip.
I think that's a really good idea. Fi doesn't have a contract so you can cancel. Also you can buy a new Moto 6g, a great phone, for $199 from the Project Fi website. Easy sell when you get back if you want to. I'd do that over the Nexus.

I use Fi all over Europe in the last year and it works just like you're in the US. Plus your family and friends can call you easily, and you them, on non WiFi for only 20c/min. Speeds are also very fast?

Last edited:
I only used my phone on wi-fi during a 2 week England/Ireland trip. DW bought a talk/text/data package from AT&T and it worked fine.

Actually I appreciate your point about iCloud. Hadn’t thought about that.

Several of us use Project Fi or T Mobile for traveling internationally. Here is a quick comparison of the pricing for two lines on each plan.

Both include free data and texting while traveling internationally. T Mobile recently increased their call rate to 25 cents per minute. Fi still charges 20 cents per minute. Both charge more in some countries. T Mobile reduces data speeds internationally and Fi apparently does not.

T Mobile pricing includes taxes and fees. Fi charges extra for taxes and fees and they vary by State. I have included an estimated flat $5 for taxes and fees in the Fi rates shown below. The T Mobile plan is the 55+ plan. The T Mobile plan includes unlimited data. Fi charges $10 per GB of shared data used capped at 10GB or $140 per month with estimated taxes and fees. All else being equal, low data users will spend less with Project Fi. If your combined data usage (2 lines) exceeds 3GB per month, you will spend less with T Mobile 55+. This is only a price comparison.

DataFi*T Mobile
1GB$50$70
2GB$60$70
3GB$70$70
4GB$80$70
5GB$90$70
6GB$100$70

*The Project Fi taxes and fees are estimated at a flat $5 rate. They are likely more than the estimate for the higher data use plans.

I’ve been using a T-mobile ONE plan which is great for occasional use overseas. Just be careful to use Wifi over there whenever possible. They seem to be cracking down on people who use excessive roaming when traveling outside the US. At any rate, if you’re only going to be away 40 days or so you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom