How do you make calls and use data when traveling to Europe?

We have also used Verizon, AT&T (Straight talk and Cricket) and T-Mobile over the last 7 or 8 years. I will change in a minute. It's just too easy to port numbers online and put a new sim card in. We have only been with T-Mobile since the first of the year. We signed up at Costco. They did the swap and waved the fees. We needed new phones. At the time, Costco had a deal on the Moto G6, compatible with T-Mobile. We got in under the deadline for the 55+ rate increase and are paying $60 for 2 lines of unlimited data. Saved us money and time in Europe last month. DW refered her DS to T-Mobile and they split 6 $50 referral gift cards.

Great inputs!

I went to T Mobile store yesterday - swapped SIM (saved the Boom Mobile SIM in case I decide to default back to it after we return from Europe), they started the porting process, and I left.

The $27 fee to open service jacks me up, but I was out of time and had to execute my plan.

After about three hours, I contacted Boom via chat and asked why my number had not yet been ported - they looked and then instantly ported it. Lesson learned - when porting, if it doesn't happen instantly while you are at the store, call or chat to to the losing company to urge it done.

Same iPhone 7 plus works exactly as with Boom (Verizon) - except I consistently have one bar better than my wife's Verizon at our house. Will be comparing as we travel in the local area.

If T Mobile works as well as Boom and Verizon - we will completely switch over to T Mobile on our return.

My brother uses T-Mobile in the US and Europe and is happy with the service on his iPhone 7. So I think you will be fine with that.

I just got back from a month in Europe and bought a 3 UK SIM card for $29 from Amazon to use while I was there. It worked great for me (only used the data part) and gave me the peace of mind of having a SIM card installed in my phone the minute I hit the airport. To call the US I used the Viber App and purchased about $3 worth of airtime which seemed to be plenty for occasional check in calls.
https://www.amazon.com/PrePaid-dest...1B0YQNhM6L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1

In the category of FYI ...

Was talking to some friends a couple of days ago - found out one of them was exceptionally loyal to Verizon - would not even consider changing to T Mobile and didn't care that using T Mobile internationally was easier and cheaper. VERY concerned about any change.

Anyone else feel this way? Perhaps I am a bit too opportunistic, but it seems so easy to switch between carriers now that it makes sense to buy their product the same way one would groceries - as long as the performance is the same or better.

We definitely tried before we committed. The first time we just bought 2 months of T-mobile when in Europe with a T-mobile SIM. They actually pro-rated us, so we ended up paying for just a bit over one month. We were impressed with the overseas experience.

So when DH got a new phone the next spring he switched to T-mobile. They had started supporting WiFi calling at that time which was a big deal for our reception at home. When we went to Europe he had seamless phone and data coverage, and I dealt with local SIMs in his old phone.

As soon as I could get the phone I wanted, I also switched to T-mobile and ported my number. It was great dropping my old expensive Verizon account and having decent reception at home.

But I never loved Verizon. More like I hated them when I was a customer because I felt they charged us way too much.

Hmm, this discussion makes me think I need to dump ATT. Not sure why I have been loyal to them for 20 years. Inertia I guess. But we pay way too much. And they don't even cover where we live (but neither does anyone else - too rural), we have to use a personal mini-tower in our house.

Back
Top Bottom