Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-15-2015, 09:00 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
I remembered that someone in the forum posted about actually doing a cruise across the Atlantic instead of flying (although my comment was more spending the money on any cruise, not necessarily taking a cruise across the ocean as an alternative to flying), but didn't remember that it was you.

I will say that your initial comment in the past about cruising trans-Atlantic has always stuck in the back of my mind, and would be an awesome way to travel when I reach the point of retiring, since you should be able to score some pretty good deals (especially if you can go last-minute).
When we did the crossing in 2013, on March 31st, it was because we needed to be in the UK for a wedding April 16, otherwise we would have done a re-positioning cruise out of Galveston, stopping at various locations en-route and ending up at Barcelona. That cruise would have got us to our destination too late, but the brother of a friend of ours who was visiting him here where we live took that cruise. In future years we will be looking at re-positioning cruises.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2015, 12:22 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
It surprises me that some of the same people here who would pay $300 extra for a 4 hr flight wont pay $300 for maybe 4 months of cable. It really goes to show you that different people have different priorities.

LOL. True. But it depends where your priorities are. I try for the cheaper flights and use my airline miles credit card everywhere so that we can get priority seating, one free bag each or a break on a price. I also make my breakfast in the hotel room or suite by bringing a small high powered blender with me for a green smoothie. The frugal traveler, I.

Don't have fancy cable but I do like to have tv choices without too much finagling with technology.

To each his own!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Old 03-16-2015, 07:41 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got the United Mileage Plus credit card because you get priority boarding in economy and free bag checked per passenger for tickets bought with it.

I only buy United airline tickets with it though.

After the first year and the bonus miles, it's a $95 annual fee. Some compensation - they send you an United Club one time pass voucher for two each year, which is equivalent.

That's way cheaper than their "checked luggage" subscription.

Being first to board group in economy/economy plus is the main reason I got it. That has high value to us.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How much would you pay for a first/business class upgrade?

I don't see any inconsistencies between paying for upgrades and not paying for cable TV.

I'm in a (thankfully) temporary position of living between two states. In the other, I only have basic cable and have discovered that the broadcast networks (esp. PBS) in combination with Roku/streaming are more than I need. I probably would not have looked into it without reading of others' research, legwork, and experiences.

Cable TV makes you pay up for channels you never watch. They act like Fanucci in The Godfather.

Some of the posts in this thread are from people who look for smart ways to upgrade (e,g,, miles). They are still cost-conscious.

I'm not 6'+, but I can guess that the cramped coach can be difficult or at least uncomfortable, especially if you have to juggle a laptop, say for business. I can also guess that those with chronic conditions would have a tough time in the coach seats.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:50 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

We were offered an upgrade at about $150 each on American to fly business/first class from Mexico to Chicago two months ago, a three hour trip. Without hesitating I took it as Dh was saying, "Wait, what just happened?. It was the end of a great vacation, a nice coda. The plates were china, the wine glasses were glass, the seats were cozy and spacious. It was a great flight back to the frozen land.

We don't go looking for upgrades but at this point in our lives we sort of like to take advantage the peculiar dancing lessons that unexpectedly appear sometimes, especially experiences we can enjoy together, just the two of us. Life is short.

We don't buy very much physical stuff, so maybe that offsets it.

We pay for cable TV too btw.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:51 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I don't see any inconsistencies between paying for upgrades and not paying for cable TV.

I'm in a (thankfully) temporary position of living between two states. In the other, I only have basic cable and have discovered that the broadcast networks (esp. PBS) in combination with Roku/streaming are more than I need. I probably would not have looked into it without reading of others' research, legwork, and experiences.

Cable TV makes you pay up for channels you never watch. They act like Fanucci in The Godfather.

Some of the posts in this thread are from people who look for smart ways to upgrade (e,g,, miles). They are still cost-conscious.

I'm not 6'+, but I can guess that the cramped coach can be difficult or at least uncomfortable, especially if you have to juggle a laptop, say for business. I can also guess that those with chronic conditions would have a tough time in the coach seats.
It was an offer we couldn't refuse....
Old 03-16-2015, 11:10 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
It was an offer we couldn't refuse....

You got that backwards, girl. You know what happened to Don Fanucci.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:13 AM   #48

Since I retired (3 yrs ago) I haven't traveled by air at all but if I did I would pay for the upgrade. Several years before I retired I began to refuse flying anywhere unless it was first or business class. Even then I hated the hassles of "modern day" air travel.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
No, LOL! For some reason I don't drink on planes.....
Being both cheap and broke, I usually fly early morning. Not that I have any particular objection to drinking at 6am, but I'd be even more useless than usual if I started drinking that early...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:41 AM   #50

Taking a cruise instead of flying is an option I never considered but sounds like a great idea, especially now that we have time. I just took a look at some relocation cruises and many are sold out - it seems like a popular.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I personally would never think of paying as much as $100 for an upgrade, even to Australia... I guess my threshold of pain is pretty high.

On business travel years ago, I did happen to luck out on a free first class upgrade to London once. That was sweet, but not worth the thousands it would have cost.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:19 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post
On business travel years ago, I did happen to luck out on a free first class upgrade to London once. That was sweet, but not worth the thousands it would have cost.
I got that, too- was booked in Business, so already in a good place, but it was a 3-class plane and I got bumped to First. A bit roomier, nice little closets so you could put things you might need in flight in them and not have to forage in the overhead bin, and dinner service that really stretched out too long. First-world problems, I know, especially since you can ask for an abbreviated version of the meal to be served all at once so you can sleep. I don't sleep well on redeyes and wanted to experience it all anyway.

Yesterday I booked tickets for DH and me in Business Class from Boston to Iceland in August. It was a total of $4K and that was just BOS-KEF. Our flights to/from Boston were booked using miles. DH has had too many bad respiratory bugs after our long-haul trips; he gets worn out and then his immune system can't fight them off. We're pacing this with overnights in Boston in both directions (using Hotel points!).

To me, it's one of the hidden costs of aging. I'm pretty hardy but we have to do some things that are more comfortable (and more expensive) in order to keep from killing DH.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:27 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I... DH has had too many bad respiratory bugs after our long-haul trips; he gets worn out and then his immune system can't fight them off....
Hijack: Does he wear a mask when you travel? A couple of weeks ago I had to fly (to help out with an early-arriving new granddaughter). I am still fighting off the awful cold I get every time I take from Southwest's always full flights (not blaming SW, but they are so popular that the flights are always packed in my experience). We will be on a very long overseas flight in May and I am considering a mask. Or maybe I can tell DH I need to move up to business/first class. For my health
Old 03-17-2015, 09:35 AM   #54

Quote:
Or maybe I can tell DH I need to move up to business/first class. For my health
Sorry, but he's gotten bugs when we traveled in Business Class, too. Sometimes it's just something he picked up at our destination; one time, I'm almost sure, it was the guy at the liquor counter of the Duty-Free store in Madrid Airport, who was coughing and sneezing. We tried paying for our purchases at another counter but they sent us back to Typhoid Miguel. We washed our hands thoroughly afterwards, too. DH still got sick.

I think he's going to be more careful on this trip; he'll bring antiseptic gel and may wear a mask. The air in planes is dry and very little fresh air is brought in from outside during the flight so the germs just recirculate through the whole plane. I want him to ask his doc about preventative antibiotics. In general I deplore the overuse of antibiotics but if it can head off illness for DH I'm all for trying it.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:36 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hijack: Does he wear a mask when you travel? A couple of weeks ago I had to fly (to help out with an early-arriving new granddaughter). I am still fighting off the awful cold I get every time I take from Southwest's always full flights (not blaming SW, but they are so popular that the flights are always packed in my experience). We will be on a very long overseas flight in May and I am considering a mask. Or maybe I can tell DH I need to move up to business/first class. For my health
Wearing a mask is not foolproof because it is difficult to keep it on without touching your face for hours on end. Rigorous hand washing is probably just as important.

During the SARS crisis I had to travel long distance with connections for a conference. I wore a mask on the plane. Nevertheless, I came down with a vicious cold and missed half the conference.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:49 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Athena and Meadbh. Wearing a mask would probably make me touch my face more anyway. I am going to be scrupulous about hand washing and sanitizing from now on and see if that helps prevent another cold next time.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:32 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Wearing a mask is not foolproof because it is difficult to keep it on without touching your face for hours on end. Rigorous hand washing is probably just as important.

During the SARS crisis I had to travel long distance with connections for a conference. I wore a mask on the plane. Nevertheless, I came down with a vicious cold and missed half the conference.
Thanks for the insight. One of the reasons we love Business Class is the never-ending parade of food and drink (DH is especially fond of AA's made-to-order ice cream sundaes for dessert, although we're not taking AA this time). That would involve taking off and putting on the face mask a lot. Sounds like hand washing/sanitizer would be better.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:33 PM   #58

I pay $500-550 each way and 20-25k miles to upgrade to business on international flights, which often last 11-18 hours.

But you're not assured of getting those upgrades. The hard part is, they hold your miles and copayment money for months and then refund if you don't get the upgrade.

That's on United.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:46 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Yesterday I booked tickets for DH and me in Business Class from Boston to Iceland in August. It was a total of $4K and that was just BOS-KEF.
Something to consider if you do it again:
Last year we paid $3,470 for two of us in Economy Comfort on Icelandair.
Newark to Brussels, with a four-day stopover in Reykjavik.
Since business class was only half full, they put us up in there anyway, and treated us as fully paid business class passengers. Great airline!
Old 03-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I pay $500-550 each way and 20-25k miles to upgrade to business on international flights, which often last 11-18 hours.

But you're not assured of getting those upgrades. The hard part is, they hold your miles and copayment money for months and then refund if you don't get the upgrade.

That's on United.
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I don't put much stock in upgrading with miles. We managed it once with Continental- the return trip from Scotland in late 2001 after a lot of people stopped flying.