Private driver company - Heathrow/Gatwick

stephenson

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi All,

I think I asked this same question, but it was embedded in another thread.

Trying to decide whether to use the Heathrow to Gatwick bus service and then friends picking us up at Gatwick ... or, a driver to take us the hour or so to the south to our friends’ house, to save friends the trip to Gatwick.

Anyone have recommendations for private driver service?

We used a private car to get from Heathrow to the Rothershire district because I didn't want to deal with the tube or buses after the transatlantic slog. It was worth every pence. DW was exhausted and I was fairly whooped myself.

I think it would be a thoughtful gesture to let your friends off the hook for the ride as well. If I can find company info, I'll update this thread.

Best.

Yes on thoughtful. Also nice for you in not having to negotiate transit and a second airport. Will be more expensive but in the end could be priceless. We tend to be adventurous so even when we had four kids in tow we sometimes took the Express and British Rail for the 'experience'. Kids love trains!! If you buy the transit look for advance online deals. Some of the discounts are very large.

I used to do the train. Of course that was 20 years ago and it seemed like an adventure. Today I might prefer a private car.

I was going to recommend the train, but not sure if there is an easy way to do so...

And the cost might be more than the private car...

Right - was looking at Uber ... same pricing.

Got quick quote from blackberry cars ... l95 (about $116) ...

How effective is the Uber system at Heathrow - I recall long waits for cabs ...

https://www.airporttaxis-uk.co.uk/

Onward Travel Solutions is the company I have used a total of four times now, from both Gatwick and Manchester airports. After I'd booked with them the first time I decided to look them up on Trip Advisor and frightened myself as there were some awful reviews. But everything was as advertised and worked really well. I have a journey booked through them for later this month.

If nothing else I would use their website for price comparison with alternatives.

Ended up hiring blackberrycars for this trip - very positive reviews over long period of time. Good pricing, as well.

Toughest thing was learning how the UK does addresses :)

Last edited:
By the time we bused to Gatwick, and Ubered the rest of the way it was within a few £ of direct drive from Heathrow.

Back
Top Bottom