RV satellite stuff

Buck2520

Recycles dryer sheets
Question for fellow RVers regarding satellite TV. We have Direct TV receiver (H21 model) that has HD and uses a SWM dish at our house. Wanting to take house receiver to RV but my RV dish is the older round one, not SWM. Is there any way to make older non SWM dish work with newer HD SWM receiver? Or do I just need to buy a new SWM type dish. Any experts out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Yeah, I think you can make it work, but you'll have to go through the "satellite setup" process on the receiver to switch the dish type. I'm pretty sure the newer receivers still work with all the old style, round, non-HD dishes, but the only way for the receiver to know it's talking to an old dish is to go through the guided setup and pick out your specific dish type from the list when prompted.

Here's a good walk-through of the process I found online: http://forums.solidsignal.com/docs/Satellite%20Setup%20White%20Paper.pdf

We routinely move our Kitchen receiver to our camper and do the set up to use a 3 LNB dish, you simply set the SWM back to Multiswitch. Use a single tuner setting, and let it reconfigure. Typically it does not like being told its using an older dish, but after reboot using red button it finally accepts it. When replacing it back on the SWM, it seems to do a self re-configuring no problem and finds the Genie network all by itself.

This week I parked our camper in Cle Ellum for a horse show and ended up behind the only tree in the way of the reception. However, we just hit exit and play the shows that are recorded without setting up the dish.

Thanks for both helps above. Tried both but I can not get the "dish type" or "switch type" to change on setup screen. Does not allow any options no matter what button I push.
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1466530573.403215.jpg

It looks like you still have the receiver set in SWM mode. The old, round dishes are not SWM, so I think that's why you don't see your dish type in the list. You need to set the Switch Type to "02: Multiswitch" for your RV setup, I'm guessing. Follow the steps in that PDF that I gave the link for above.

Tried using numbers to change the settings and got them changed. Still no sat signal but at least I am getting somewhere. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1466531448.032675.jpg

Did the set up require you to push the dash button first to reconfigure settings? From your screen shot, I would be pushing the center OK button on the remote to select the pull down, then scroll down to the correct dish type.

OK, but your screen shot now does not show the option to select the number of tuners. I assume you only have the one cable, which should be in antenna one. Mine won't set up if I have two tuners selected. What do you get when you scroll over to the continue button?

Only one cable in. When I go to continue it tries to get sat but does not get any signal. I am checking my azimuth and elevation now.

Back
Top Bottom