Tips for first time extended trip

We're not looking to do anything specific...it's just a break from the cold. We're going to find a local gym to work out at, and take it day by day with no pressure to do anything. I brought my guitar as one of my bandmates will be staying close by, and we have a few books.
That's similar to my vacations. Only difference is that we go somewhere cooler to escape the brutal heat of Florida but I don't play guitar. I do though am good at air guitar. Jimi Hendrix!

For international calls/ texting use Viber or WhatsApp. KG

About the cell phone replacement suggestions, don't forget that you have to be able to RECEIVE calls as well as make them...

When entering the US, we Canadians stop at Walmart and pickup a smart phone for about $30 and add the "Call Canada" option for $10. Tracphone.

Have a great trip!

OP here. We've been at the condo a week, gone for 11 days counting the drive down with a 1 day stop in New Orleans along the way. So far it looks like we haven't forgotten anything important that we couldn't get at Walmart or a dollar store.

My girlfriend can text for free on her I-phone, but my Android phone can only receive calls...I can get by without texting as I can retrieve emails on the phone plus I have my laptop.

Here's the view from the deck of the condo:

20190203_170139.jpg
20190203_161403.jpg

Beautiful photo, magnificent view. Looks like a great choice so far. :)

We're on the latter part of week two in the Virgin Islands, nine days left. We do extended trips to Mexico also. Wife loves to pack things. Last trip she packed Oatmeal, Mustard and Mayo. Went to the first store and had all three so we'll just bring the craisins and walnuts. She loves bringing a couple tins of Costco Albacore for sandwiches. I don't bring many spices because the local ones are readily available and most all rentals have salt and pepper.

I am in complete agreement with bringing a 12 pack soft cooler. They're light and pack easily. We do day trips to the beach. The owners at the two places have had them but one is broken and beat up. I was going to bring one and forgot.

We brought nice wine once and only drank one bottle. We generally will just buy a cheap bottle where we go or drink local mixed drinks and beer. I have a small speaker that I put on my golf bag and bring that all the time for music with my phone. I'm on an AT&T plan that is $10 a day for unlimited everything wherever you go outside of the U.S. So I play a lot of music.

What we continue to find out is we pack way too many clothes. On this trip we both have several swim suits and shorts but t-shirts are worn multiple days and we just wash if dirty. So, our goal every trip is to pare down in that arena.

We love traveling and our needs are small so a cooler, Kindle, umbrella and chairs are just about it. Oh, suntan lotion. Should have brought more.

We brought cooler bags...they came in handy on the drive as we packed lunches every day. Although, since we're right on the beach we've been using a couple big 34 ounce insulated mugs rather than pack the cooler bag, but they'll come in handy on day trips.

I've got a couple thousand songs saved on my phone and a waterproof portable Bluetooth speaker so no need to use any data for music.

For your phone get a tello sim card if you are still looking....it is pay as you go and cheap.

We brought cooler bags...they came in handy on the drive as we packed lunches every day. Although, since we're right on the beach we've been using a couple big 34 ounce insulated mugs rather than pack the cooler bag, but they'll come in handy on day trips.

I've got a couple thousand songs saved on my phone and a waterproof portable Bluetooth speaker so no need to use any data for music.

If your android phone is a GSM phone, Mint Mobile has a deal right now, $20 for 3 months of service. Voice,text, and data.
https://www.mintmobile.com/

Good in USA and for making calls to Canada at no extra charge.

You can check online, if your phone will work on their system by putting in the IME #.
As long as you are in 1 place for a week, as they will mail the sim card to you.

We're on the latter part of week two in the Virgin Islands, nine days left. We do extended trips to Mexico also. Wife loves to pack things. Last trip she packed Oatmeal, Mustard and Mayo. Went to the first store and had all three so we'll just bring the craisins and walnuts. She loves bringing a couple tins of Costco Albacore for sandwiches. I don't bring many spices because the local ones are readily available and most all rentals have salt and pepper.

I am in complete agreement with bringing a 12 pack soft cooler. They're light and pack easily. We do day trips to the beach. The owners at the two places have had them but one is broken and beat up. I was going to bring one and forgot.

We brought nice wine once and only drank one bottle. We generally will just buy a cheap bottle where we go or drink local mixed drinks and beer. I have a small speaker that I put on my golf bag and bring that all the time for music with my phone. I'm on an AT&T plan that is $10 a day for unlimited everything wherever you go outside of the U.S. So I play a lot of music.

What we continue to find out is we pack way too many clothes. On this trip we both have several swim suits and shorts but t-shirts are worn multiple days and we just wash if dirty. So, our goal every trip is to pare down in that arena.

We love traveling and our needs are small so a cooler, Kindle, umbrella and chairs are just about it. Oh, suntan lotion. Should have brought more.

I wish we were in the VI now. Love them!!

Red Bar is not an option anymore. It completely burned down this morning. Sad.

https://www.mypanhandle.com/amp/news/-red-bar-destroyed-by-fire-in-grayton-beach/1778346756

Yeah, iconic place and it will be missed by people other than me. Food was good, but better elsewhere, parking was horrible, and the building was a dump, but part of it’s charm. Also didn’t take credit cards.

Can’t go wrong with Captain Anderson’s in PCB.

In Santa Rosa Beach (a few miles west of the Red Bar), you have The Vue, Stinky’s Fish Camp, and The Bay. Better food and ambiance. I would put AJ’s in Grayton Beach in a similar category as the Red Bar, but better for drinking than dining.

We went to Capt. Anderson's a few days ago...neither one of us are big seafood fans (she only likes shrimp) and we both like cooking but we had a $50 gift card. I had chicken and she had breaded shrimp.

Keep the restaurant tips coming...it's our anniversary next week and we'll be going out for dinner. Anything but seafood :LOL:

We went to Capt. Anderson's a few days ago...neither one of us are big seafood fans (she only likes shrimp) and we both like cooking but we had a $50 gift card. I had chicken and she had breaded shrimp.

Keep the restaurant tips coming...it's our anniversary next week and we'll be going out for dinner. Anything but seafood :LOL:

Not sure where you're staying, but Santa Rosa Beach/Sandestin/Miramar Beach/Destin are all west of PCB.

For beef lovers, there is a Fleming's Steak House near Sandestin (Grand Boulevard shopping area) - can't go wrong. In Destin, there is a Ruth's Chris Steak house. Also at Grand Boulevard, there is a Cantina Laredo for Mexican food. Their table-side guacamole is a nice treat.

At Seaside (30A, west of 395), Great Southern is good choice for southern food, but would be a better choice for lunch.

Have to put in a plug for The Vue in Santa Rosa Beach - Gulf front dining with varied menu, not just the typical Panhandle seafood. Time your reservation for sunset and ask for a window table :)

Last edited:
OP here. Today is our last day in Florida :'(

We had a good time and (I think I mentioned earlier) we didn't forget anything important that we couldn't get at Walmart or the dollar store. This was the first long road trip for both of us and we enjoyed it. Things we learned:

Pack differently. We both hauled full suitcases, cooler bags, my guitar, and other misc. stuff into the hotel rooms each night. Part of the reason was that I had just swapped off my winter tires in -25 and just tossed in our things into the car at random. On the way back most of our stuff will go in the trunk and we are sharing 1 suitcase with enough clothes and toiletries for the trip back....one trip from the car to hotel room.

We can both handle 3 days in a row on the road and have planned our return trip to go longer early and shorter at the end...11 hours, 9 hours, 7.5 hours.

We haven't left yet and we already can't wait for our next trip!! We're already planning when and where to go.

Glad it worked out. Safe drive home ..

Pack differently. We both hauled full suitcases, cooler bags, my guitar, and other misc. stuff into the hotel rooms each night. Part of the reason was that I had just swapped off my winter tires in -25 and just tossed in our things into the car at random. On the way back most of our stuff will go in the trunk and we are sharing 1 suitcase with enough clothes and toiletries for the trip back....one trip from the car to hotel room.

If I am doing a long road trip with an overnight or two along the way, I pack an additional "satellite bag" (usually a backpack or small duffel/tote bag). In it are toiletries (incl. vitamins/RXs), PJs, undies, change of clothes, shoes, laptop or tablet with charging cords, a book, etc. This is all I need for the night and next morning. If I know it's going to be for several nights, I just pack more undies and day clothes.

This sure saves on unpacking/repacking the car (especially annoying in inclement weather), plus not hauling various large bags to/from the room. I just grab-and-go.

I've noticed that folks I've traveled with soon adopt this same 'satellite bag' method. ;)

omni

on your way home have the girl friend write down on some paper what you did like and what you didn't like on your trip.. and what you would do differently the next time...
create a list of items you used or would have used if you had brought it...
then when you get home put the list into one of your suit cases... then the next trip you go out on you won't have to search for the list you just made... after a couple of trips the notes will get fine tuned and you will always be able to find your notes in that suit case...

If you have internet you can make free calls using Google Voice. They also have a pre-paid version where you can make international calls. I believe I paid $10 to set mine up and used it once to make an international call. It worked fine and was not very expensive.

Regarding finding rentals - I know of a new rental on Anna Maria Island that rents out by the month, and sometimes by the week. We housesat for them (it is a duplex). It's a great location and a very nice place (well, we didn't see the inside of the rental, but the pool is gorgeous).

Here's a link I found for it. I see January 2020 is open.

If I am doing a long road trip with an overnight or two along the way, I pack an additional "satellite bag" (usually a backpack or small duffel/tote bag). In it are toiletries (incl. vitamins/RXs), PJs, undies, change of clothes, shoes, laptop or tablet with charging cords, a book, etc. This is all I need for the night and next morning. If I know it's going to be for several nights, I just pack more undies and day clothes.

This sure saves on unpacking/repacking the car (especially annoying in inclement weather), plus not hauling various large bags to/from the room. I just grab-and-go.

I've noticed that folks I've traveled with soon adopt this same 'satellite bag' method. ;)

omni

Hey, I just started doing that on our last road trip, it was so nice and easy, that on this next trip I put 2 days worth clothes in my satellite bag, so I can leave the large bag in the vehicle. :flowers:

I don’t mind leaving stuff in the car, but the satellite bag or two has to include stuff that matters like the computer, camera and any other expensive stuff that I don’t want stolen.

All the utilities are on auto-pay and the things not on auto-pay (like credit cards) I can pay electronically with my laptop.

etc.

Make sure you know the answers to your bank security challenge questions.
Seems whenever I get a few hundred miles away my CU wants more than user name and password to login. Tells me I'm being challenged as I've not logged in from this ip address before.
Also, be careful what network you log into your bank from. Hotel Wi-Fi is not to be trusted.

I don’t mind leaving stuff in the car, but the satellite bag or two has to include stuff that matters like the computer, camera and any other expensive stuff that I don’t want stolen.

We had 2 large suitcases that we left in the trunk, but since we didn't bring smaller carry-on type suitcases or bags, we had to make do with several smaller cloth and plastic grocery/shopping bags. Plus my guitar and a cooler bag. We'll be better prepared for our next trip.

Make sure you know the answers to your bank security challenge questions.
Seems whenever I get a few hundred miles away my CU wants more than user name and password to login. Tells me I'm being challenged as I've not logged in from this ip address before.
Also, be careful what network you log into your bank from. Hotel Wi-Fi is not to be trusted.

I contacted the bank before I left and they assured me that there would be no problem...and there wasn't. I wasn't aware of any issues with hotel Wi-Fi but we only used it for general internet and not for banking.

Back
Top Bottom