Trip to Pacific NW-Seattle Vancouver, San Juan Islands, Whistler?

Thanks so much for all the great ideas. Let me ask this: has anyone taken the train from Seattle to Vancouver?

I have read some view it as advantageous to rent a car in Vancouver and avoid the border delays with a vehicle...

I grew up here in Seattle and once took the train with my family in tow for a cruise from Vancouver. All the luggage, and generations of family, it still was worthwhile. We flew back from Anchorage and did not want to deal with parking so far north. The train station in Everett worked well for us that trip, but it was 12 years ago. Last cruise with our family was RT port of Seattle, and we taxied down to the pier cheap.

There are tricks to going across the border by car, we always take the Bellis Fair exit off of I-5 and cross over due north of Bellingham at Lynden. Hardly ever a wait. The Blaine and Peace Arch crossing can be a bear without a Nexus card.

I just don't understand all the interest in going up to Vancouver, unless you have exhausted all the great things to cover in Western WA. Best thing up north is the exchange rate and skiing at Whistler, but I just skied Stevens yesterday in deep powder off run, high speed quads and no lines. Lets try and find that at Whistler!

When I have folks come and stay at our Loghollow, many find there is just too much to do locally for their time in the NW and they don't take the 2-3 hour drive to BC.

Oops, I just re-read your first post. You have been here, and are coming in summer, Whistler is a great choice. But check out the other side of BC as well.

Last edited:
I'm also probably going to take a trip out to the Pac NW this summer, centered around a running race. I'd like to spend a day or two in the San Juan Islands. I might check out Bellingham too, and this is at least the second time I've heard raves about the Olympic peninsula, so I may have to work that in. I've been to Vancouver/Victoria already, so I'll probably skip that to see new things. I need to wait and make sure I get into the race next month, then I'll start making plans.

I might check out Bellingham too

If you're a runner, you're probably a beer drinker, and Bellingham is home to my favorite brewpub in the world. A tiny, unpretentious place, but his beers are simply awesome. Each one is utterly true to style, and he has won a huge number of prestigious awards for them.

Chuckanut Brewery and Kitchen | North Nut

If you're a runner, you're probably a beer drinker, and Bellingham is home to my favorite brewpub in the world. A tiny, unpretentious place, but his beers are simply awesome. Each one is utterly true to style, and he has won a huge number of prestigious awards for them.

Chuckanut Brewery and Kitchen | North Nut

If I go, I will definitely check it out!

I just don't understand all the interest in going up to Vancouver, unless you have exhausted all the great things to cover in Western WA. Best thing up north is the exchange rate and skiing at Whistler, but I just skied Stevens yesterday in deep powder off run, high speed quads and no lines. Lets try and find that at Whistler!

When I have folks come and stay at our Loghollow, many find there is just too much to do locally for their time in the NW and they don't take the 2-3 hour drive to BC.

Oops, I just re-read your first post. You have been here, and are coming in summer, Whistler is a great choice. But check out the other side of BC as well.

We are not overlooking Washington state. It is not the focus of this trip, but there will be others. One of the things I hope to do is to generate ideas for other trips when I travel, and I have a few just from this thread that were not on my radar. Thanks for making that point!

Welcome to Canada. If your focus is north of the border, you could consider flying into YVR. From there, you can take a bus to Whistler, or take the Canada line downtown, where you can hop on a seaplane to Vancouver Island. Etc.

I'm also probably going to take a trip out to the Pac NW this summer, centered around a running race. I'd like to spend a day or two in the San Juan Islands. I might check out Bellingham too, and this is at least the second time I've heard raves about the Olympic peninsula, so I may have to work that in. I've been to Vancouver/Victoria already, so I'll probably skip that to see new things. I need to wait and make sure I get into the race next month, then I'll start making plans.

I used to live in Seattle in the 80-ies and can recommend this run, if you are still looking: Jefferson Healthcare Rhody Run | "The Run that Cares for the Runner"
I also did the Seattle half marathon/marathon that runs (or at least USED to run) along the Burke-Gillman trail (very nice!).

Edit: I stand corrected - looks like the marathon course has since moved further South. Probably still good to run though. And it looks like the B-G Trail is still there as well for a training run....

Last edited:
I went to grad school at the UW in the late 80's. Did anyone ever visit the lava tubes (aka ape caves) near Mt St Helens? We hiked up to the rim of St Helen's just a few years after the eruption, and that was amazing to peer into. We then went down and hiked the lava tubes. Over 2 miles hiking underground. What a cool place!

Last edited:
I went to grad school at the UW in the late 80's. Did anyone ever visit the lava tubes (aka ape caves) near Mt St Helens? We hiked up to the rim of St Helen's just a few years after the eruption, and that was amazing to peer into. We then went down and hiked the lava tubes. Over 2 miles hiking underground. What a cool place!

If u have any links re the lava tubes I would be interested in checking them out. Sounds like something I'd like to do

If u have any links re the lava tubes I would be interested in checking them out. Sounds like something I'd like to do

Sure, here's a couple of links, there are a few others if you google 'ape caves'. Story is that they got that name because sasquatch allegedly lived in them. lol. The lava tube hike and Mt St Helens make up a very unique experience. Make sure you have several reliable sources of light for the hike - other than a few light shafts, it's pitch black.

http://www.hikespeak.com/trails/ape-cave-lava-tube-mount-saint-helens-hike-washington/
http://www.mountsthelens.com/ape-caves.html

Last edited:
+1 on Stanley Park and Whistler. Also spent a day at Harrison Lake and soaked in the public hot springs pool. The waters were great!

Back
Top Bottom