vacation rental including golf cart - are you insured?

I initially saw this post this morning and perked up as we are going to spend month of April in The Villages. My brother lives in the Village of Woodbury and I immediately sent him an email asking if he has insurance. Both he & his wife have their own carts. His response was that he has purchased it and cost is $100 yrly. I contacted our agent and she advises that they don’t provide coverage and it really should be landlord’s responsibility. We have sent an message to owner to ask him if he provides it as there isn’t any specific language in our contract addressing insurance. If he doesn’t provide it, we probably won’t drive his cart & choose to rent a cart separately. Thanks very much for posting the question.

I initially saw this post this morning and perked up as we are going to spend month of April in The Villages. My brother lives in the Village of Woodbury and I immediately sent him an email asking if he has insurance. Both he & his wife have their own carts. His response was that he has purchased it and cost is $100 yrly. I contacted our agent and she advises that they don’t provide coverage and it really should be landlord’s responsibility. We have sent an message to owner to ask him if he provides it as there isn’t any specific language in our contract addressing insurance. If he doesn’t provide it, we probably won’t drive his cart & choose to rent a cart separately. Thanks very much for posting the question.

Wouldn't it be cheaper, if your landlord does not have it, and doesn't want to get it, to offer to pay $25 towards it. The landlord could always cancel it after you leave and get back nearly all the yearly premium.

Even if you paid the $100, (through the landlord), surely that is cheaper than renting one with insurance for 30 days.

I am in the same boat as OP. I have recently arranged for a rental in The Villages for Jan-March 2019, and it comes with a cart and legal documents absolving them of any responsibility. My plan is to not be negligent in my driving, and not crash the cart.

I've been to The Villages several times, and to be there without a cart just isn't worth the trip.

Ok, but watch out for the "other" drivers:

Golf-cart-accident.jpg

I am OP so glad if it helps. During my research, being in the same situation that you find yourself, and not willing to let the rental go, I found out the best solution was to either convince the owner to add the insurance even if I have to pay the additional cost, approx. $100-$150. Or ask the owner to provide the details on the golf cart so that you can at least add a rider to your homeowner's insurance policy. Then maybe you would want to consider additional umbrella coverage. Downside of this option is it does not cover any damage you cause to the golf cart, only other person's property or medical costs.

I think your umbrella would cover damage to the cart since it isn't your cart.... if it was your cart then I would agree but in most cases the umbrella would require underlying coverage.

For example, if you were in an auto accident and were at fault and other car, a $1 million exotic, was totaled, your car insurance would pay up to its limit and then the umbrella would pay the rest.

Check with your insurance agent but I think that if you buy an umbrella then it will cover both liability and collision for anything that you rent.... that's why the call it an umbrella.. it covers just about everything. Besides, if you have substantial wealth you should have an umbrella anyway.

Last edited:
I think your umbrella would cover damage to the cart since it isn't your cart.... if it was your cart then I would agree but in most cases the umbrella would require underlying coverage.

For example, if you were in an auto accident and were at fault and other car, a $1 million exotic, was totaled, your car insurance would pay up to its limit and then the umbrella would pay the rest.

Check with your insurance agent but I think that if you buy an umbrella then it will cover both liability and collision for anything that you rent.... that's why the call it an umbrella.. it covers just about everything. Besides, if you have substantial wealth you should have an umbrella anyway.

I will have to check again with my agent about what an umbrella covers. But he definitely told me there would first need to be a rider on the homeowners policy with specific detail to identify the cart I would be renting or else I would have no liability coverage on it regardless whether I had an umbrella. Maybe this can vary between homeowners insurance companies?

The presumption at the end was that there may be thousands upon thousands of Villagers (and guests) risking their entire estates for the sake of using someone else's golf cart.

Actually (provided that one has homeowners insurance), such is not the case.

The personal liability part of your homeowners policy covers damage you might inadvertantly do to the person or property of others.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you filter for pets only 4 homes allowed them. The prices were around 3500.

never hurts to ask. In laws rent a place that allows small dog but I think the ad said not allowed. Everything has an exception. TV is a fun place to spend a couple months in the winter!

Back
Top Bottom