Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Visit Texas, sure why not? Live there, not even a consideration. Although I state without question, I have nothing against Texas , except maybe the weather.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2015, 12:01 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
It's got a deepwater port and the largest concentration of petrochemical plants and refineries in the U.S. (maybe the world).
I think your are proving the point that Houston is in the same category as the other cities in my example, that is: When the largest city in a state is sufficiently larger than everything else in the state, the rest of the state resents that large city, and acts like it's not the real [state name here]. My experience is that most people outside of Texas don't realize how big Houston is, and like to ignore it, like in the article posted by the OP.

BTW, I'm not a Houston aficionado, just interested in geography type stuff.
As If You Needed It, Further Proof That Houston Is So Much Bigger Than Most Cities | Texas Monthly

Old 01-30-2015, 12:16 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

40 years ago, Houston was crazy boom town.

Then they went through the mid 80s crash. Hurt bad.

But they revived. Houston is much more diverse now. And it has transformed into a very sophisticated cultured city - completely different from the Houston in the late 70s that I knew.

Austin was a small sleepy university city in the mid-70s, with a big hippie and music scene. Then I think space aliens took over? Whoever they are, they are very wealthy, require a lot of space, and love to clog highways.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:52 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Then I think space aliens took over? Whoever they are, they are very wealthy, require a lot of space, and love to clog highways.
bunch of californicators moved there and ruined it

I hate visiting Austin now, too crowded, no parking and the worst designed freeway system in the US
Old 01-30-2015, 12:53 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
40 years ago, Houston was crazy boom town.
That's actually an understatement.

I was the manager of a printing plant at the time and the employee turnover was insane - frequently 20%+ per month. I had a number of employees who never returned from lunch - headhunters would approach them in the parking lot of a fast food joint with a job offer.

The most miserable 18 months of my life...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:55 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
I think your are proving the point that Houston is in the same category as the other cities in my example, that is: When the largest city in a state is sufficiently larger than everything else in the state, the rest of the state resents that large city, and acts like it's not the real [state name here]. My experience is that most people outside of Texas don't realize how big Houston is, and like to ignore it, like in the article posted by the OP.

BTW, I'm not a Houston aficionado, just interested in geography type stuff.
As If You Needed It, Further Proof That Houston Is So Much Bigger Than Most Cities | Texas Monthly
I would like to offer my perspective. Yes, Houston is a really big city. But compared to New York or Los Angeles it is not. I think part of the reason Houston does not get the recognition it might deserve is you have San Antonio and Dallas-Fort Worth , all in the same state. Those cities are worthy all on their own. There is only so many resources and Houston does not require them all. You see sort of the same thing in California. San Diego is a pretty big city. Over a million people. Yet 120 miles away is Los Angeles. If Los Angeles did not exist then San Diego would become more important. Likewise if Dallas and San Antonio did not exist , Houston would become more recognized.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:40 PM   #47

Houston has a lot to offer.

I don't think there is any other place in the US where you can be young, smart, hard working and make/save as much money as you can than in Houston.

It's definitely a young person's town though - no country for old men
Old 01-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
I would like to offer my perspective. Yes, Houston is a really big city. But compared to New York or Los Angeles it is not. I think part of the reason Houston does not get the recognition it might deserve is you have San Antonio and Dallas-Fort Worth , all in the same state. Those cities are worthy all on their own. There is only so many resources and Houston does not require them all. You see sort of the same thing in California. San Diego is a pretty big city. Over a million people. Yet 120 miles away is Los Angeles. If Los Angeles did not exist then San Diego would become more important. Likewise if Dallas and San Antonio did not exist , Houston would become more recognized.
Good point, although Dallas and Fort Worth are two cities, not one. Sort of like SF and Oakland or Minneapolis and St. Paul
Old 01-30-2015, 05:58 PM   #49

I hate armadillos, they are giant armored rats that root up your flower beds and destroy your yard. The only good armadillo is a dead armadillo.

Having said that, they are kinda cute for a state symbol.

Houston is the largest city to have a major inferiority complex. They take a lot of grief. Some of it deserved. It's a stinky city, kind of dirty and with no zoning, and the humidity is legendary. They hate Dallas but it really comes from that sense of inferiority. It's kinda like the same thing that exists between aggies and longhorns. I guess, sticking with that same analogy, their professional football team has never even made the Super Bowl whether it was the oilers or texans.

Ok. Duck and cover.

Muir

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-30-2015, 06:05 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
I hate armadillos, they are giant armored rats that root up your flower beds and destroy your yard. The only good armadillo is a dead armadillo.

Having said that, they are kinda cute for a state symbol.

Houston is the largest city to have a major inferiority complex. They take a lot of grief. Some of it deserved. It's a stinky city, kind of dirty and with no zoning, and the humidity is legendary. They hate Dallas but it really comes from that sense of inferiority. It's kinda like the same thing that exists between aggies and longhorns. I guess, sticking with that same analogy, their professional football team has never even made the Super Bowl whether it was the oilers or texans.

Ok. Duck and cover.

Muir

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
No need to duck and cover. What you said is quite true.
An upper case A on Aggies would have been nice though..
Old 01-30-2015, 06:09 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That's actually an understatement.

I was the manager of a printing plant at the time and the employee turnover was insane - frequently 20%+ per month. I had a number of employees who never returned from lunch - headhunters would approach them in the parking lot of a fast food joint with a job offer.

The most miserable 18 months of my life...
Wow - what a story!

I remember there seemed to be so much tension - like everyone was on an adrenaline rush. I saw lots of senseless things people did just for the hell of it. After laid back Austin, it was pretty freaky. Only spent a total of a year in Houston in the late 70s and never wanted to go back. So when I finally really visited again in the 2000s, it was quite a revelation.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:56 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Houston has changed a lot since I moved here over 20 years ago. Where we live in The Woodlands is becoming the energy center of the town with XOM building the $4 Billion complex on almost 400 acres. Along with that, several large oil/petrochemical companies are rooting their corporate office's here.

Besides, oil/gas/chemicals, we have one of the best medical services complexes in the U.S.

There is also a very busy international shipping port and lots of manufacturing.

Plus, we have some darn good Mexican restaurants that are not TexMex style.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:53 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Another reason, there is no spring. It was 84 today. Had to go sailing and it was hot.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #54

Speaking of Houston, I was born and raised there and I can say without a doubt (IMO) the best thing about the city is highway I45 northbound. These days, you really can't tell you are out of the city (and surrounding communities) until you get to mile marker 100, which is about 50 miles from downtown Houston. After that, God's county begins for the next ~100 miles no matter if you continue directly north, or head northeast or northwest.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Houston has changed a lot since I moved here over 20 years ago.
Talk about change, 20 years before you moved to the Woodlands, I hunted dove and deer on a 20,000+ acre track of dry and open land just a little north of where you are. (No fences, no houses, and just a few dirt roads about as far as you could see) That land is now underwater and is called Lake Conroe.