Would you travel to Dominican Republic now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing wrong with Mexico as long as you stay on resort property, or with a resort tour...same with any tropical destination. Those who explore on their own, can't be given proper security for their lives, and health.

I didn't care for Punta Cana (free company trip) nearly as much as Sandals SSC in Jamaica, In the Dominican Republic, the staff was friendly, but always had their hand out for a tip, the rooms were not overly comfortable, and the meals were all butler service arranged by appointment only. Jamaica was just so laid back in comparison, and being on the South Coast, lacked the sketchy neighboring resorts, or 3rd world elements.

Nothing wrong with Mexico as long as you stay on resort property, or with a resort tour...same with any tropical destination. Those who explore on their own, can't be given proper security for their lives, and health.
There have been problems with tainted alcohol within Mexico resorts including some deaths and many more cases of blackout and loss of memory. So don’t assume as long as you stay within the resort you are safe.

Last edited:
There have been problems with tainted alcohol within Mexico resorts including some deaths and many more cases of blackout and loss of memory. So don’t assume as long as you stay within the resort you are safe.

+1
My vote is still that there is nothing outright malicious, but more so that hotels are buying cheaper alcohol to save money and hoping it is not tainted.

+1
My vote is still that there is nothing outright malicious, but more so that hotels are buying cheaper alcohol to save money and hoping it is not tainted.

That is sort of the "oops, sorry" angle as opposed to I meant to do it.

End result, no pun intended, is still the same.

That is sort of the "oops, sorry" angle as opposed to I meant to do it.

End result, no pun intended, is still the same.

Agree on that.
Just will not go there now, even though DGF has family there and her DM owns an apartment there, although lives in NYC.

Shok, there is a difference between staying in a cocoon and taking reasonable risks. If cruise ships started to have tainted alcohol I would feel the same way. This has been a problem with all inclusives for a while.

We have been doing last minute AI's to Mexico and to Cuba for years. Never an issue. Lots of shooting deaths in the US. It has not prevented us from traveling there.

We would probably pass on DR because we prefer Cuba or Mexico. Same reason we pass on Jamaica. Personal preference.

This winter we are considering a month of independent travel on Mexico's Pacific coast after a week with family in an AI. One can always find reasons not to travel somewhere.

Last edited:
Shok, there is a difference between staying in a cocoon and taking reasonable risks. If cruise ships started to have tainted alcohol I would feel the same way. This has been a problem with all inclusives for a while.

All joking aside, I think it is a combination of things. One's attitude towards the locals being a key one. When we go to Mexico, we do stay at nice hotels, BUT we also go on the local busses (Collectivos) all over the place as opposed to Taxis if we can. We do not speak good Spanish, just the usual tourist stuff, and have never had any issues. The Mexican people are always happy to help and guide one to the correct bus or attraction without fanfare.

On the contrary the organized tours are packed with solicitations to do something or buy something at every stop, to the point of being annoying.

So we no longer book tours via the hotels but go to the local town on the bus and book the tours at the local tour shops, or just go to the locations ourselves. We usually pay cash so as not to get in CC issues. No different really that we do at US Resorts (Hawaii).

Just our experience, YMMV.

Last edited:
We did the same in Mexico for our last trip. Stayed in Puerto Morales for a week, then Playa del Carmen for a week. Bussed into Cancun and Isla Majures for outings and used the collectivos for in town trips when required.. Went out for dinner to local restaurants every night and then walked about. Shopped for food where the locals shop. No issues whatsoever. Very nice change from AI's.

We enjoyed it so much that we are considering doing independent travel on the Pacific coast of Mexico for a month this winter prior to going to Costa Rica.

We felt safer in Puerto Morales amd Playa at night than we have felt in some large NA cities that we have visited.

Last edited:
We did the same in Mexico for our last trip. Stayed in Puerto Morales for a week, then Playa del Carmen for a week. Bussed into Cancun and Isla Majures for outings and used the collectivos for in town trips when required.. Went out for dinner to local restaurants every night and then walked about. Shopped for food where the locals shop. No issues whatsoever. Very nice change from AI's.

We enjoyed it so much that we are considering doing independent travel on the Pacific coast of Mexico for a month this winter prior to going to Costa Rica.

We felt safer in Puerto Morales amd Playa at night than we have felt in some large NA cities that we have visited.

Don't let out the secret of Puerto Morales, we need to keep that under wraps...:angel:

Don't let out the secret of Puerto Morales, we need to keep that under wraps...:angel:

Too Late. It was recently on House Hunters International. Akumel is popular too. just keep away from Mexico 307, at least so you do not hear it. And it is Puerto MoralOs.

We loved Puerto Morales. But....we are thinking of passing on this year because of the sargassum invasion. Last November it was under control. The tractors and workers could clear the beaches.

Our understanding is that this has become much worse and it smells awful. Unless this changes our plan is to join our daughter at an AI in Cancun area. After that to over to Merida for some time, then go to the south and work our way up to Puerto Vallarta. From there we can get an inexpensive flight to Costa Rica or Panama. Our plan is to bypass Acapulco entirely.

We loved Puerto Morales. But....we are thinking of passing on this year because of the sargassum invasion. Last November it was under control. The tractors and workers could clear the beaches.

Our understanding is that this has become much worse and it smells awful. Unless this changes our plan is to join our daughter at an AI in Cancun area. After that to over to Merida for some time, then go to the south and work our way up to Puerto Vallarta. From there we can get an inexpensive flight to Costa Rica or Panama. Our plan is to bypass Acapulco entirely.

Thanks for that detail. We didn't make to Mexico last year due to my DH's surgery and prolonged recovery.

If you're thinking about the DR, want to see the Caribbean, and haven't tried Puerto Rico, head to 'La Isla Del Encanto'. It's a wonderful [American] island with great beaches, lots of things to see and do, and the locals are very fun, kind and friendly. I've been there many, many times to visit family and have never felt unsafe there, although there are a few areas you probably don't want to go into at night, and the locals will suggest you avoid. Tainted food or alcohol, or dangerous pesticides, are no more a risk there than it is at home. I love it because it feels completely foreign, yet has all the amenities and laws of the U.S. if I ever need them. (No passport required)

IMO, the only reason to visit the DR would be to see Santo Domingo and the home of Christopher Columbus. Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze, given all the other options in the Caribbean and Central America. It's a typically beautiful half-of-an island, but it is extremely poor, and their history is the only truly unique thing they have that other islands don't. It reminds me a lot of Panama, which I consider to be marginally safer and much more interesting.

Not as well-known is the fact that the Dominicans are not well-loved or welcomed by their Caribbean neighbors. Many will try to leave the island, and immigrate to other nearby islands because of the lack of opportunity at home; and those other islands are none too happy about their new residents. Unfortunately, it means that some Dominicans' behavior towards others can reflect this uncaring attitude. They are far more politically isolated than most other islands in the region, and sharing their space with Haiti probably doesn't help.

Because of their poor economy, it seems to often be a preferred regional destination for low-budget island travel and cheap [golf] resorts. It may not be dangerous, but I would consider it a similar travel risk as going to Mexico City - in other words, you are a [-]target[/-] tourist, so be careful and watch your surroundings, and don't drink anything that hasn't been sealed. The more off-the-beaten-path, the higher the risk.

Last edited:
I would not visit DR only because I do not find it a particularly attractive destination compared to others in the Caribbean.

The tainted alcohol is a known risk and is not to the DR by any stretch. I always take common sense precautions to avoid that risk in my travels.

I would be the same in the DR if I visited there.

OK, I'm not clear

If you're thinking about the DR, want to see the Caribbean, and haven't tried Puerto Rico, head to 'La Isla Del Encanto'. It's a wonderful [American] island with great beaches, lots of things to see and do, and the locals are very fun, kind and friendly. I've been there many, many times to visit family and have never felt unsafe there, although there are a few areas you probably don't want to go into at night, and the locals will suggest you avoid. Tainted food or alcohol, or dangerous pesticides, are no more a risk there than it is at home. I love it because it feels completely foreign, yet has all the amenities and laws of the U.S. if I ever need them. (No passport required)

IMO, the only reason to visit the DR would be to see Santo Domingo and the home of Christopher Columbus. Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze, given all the other options in the Caribbean and Central America. It's a typically beautiful half-of-an island, but it is extremely poor, and their history is the only truly unique thing they have that other islands don't. It reminds me a lot of Panama, which I consider to be marginally safer and much more interesting.

Not as well-known is the fact that the Dominicans are not well-loved or welcomed by their Caribbean neighbors. Many will try to leave the island, and immigrate to other nearby islands because of the lack of opportunity at home; and those other islands are none too happy about their new residents. Unfortunately, it means that some Dominicans' behavior towards others can reflect this uncaring attitude. They are far more politically isolated than most other islands in the region, and sharing their space with Haiti probably doesn't help.

Because of their poor economy, it seems to often be a preferred regional destination for low-budget island travel and cheap [golf] resorts. It may not be dangerous, but I would consider it a similar travel risk as going to Mexico City - in other words, you are a [-]target[/-] tourist, so be careful and watch your surroundings, and don't drink anything that hasn't been sealed. The more off-the-beaten-path, the higher the risk.

I'm not clear where exactly the Isla del Encato is. Is it in Puerto Rico or the DR or somewhere elst?

Well, that's a new one for me, thanks. I've only been there once, off a cruise, so that hardly counts. The Isle of Enchantment, hm? Did they talk to New Mexico? Actually, I think New Mexico may have changed its nickname...

Well, that's a new one for me, thanks. I've only been there once, off a cruise, so that hardly counts. The Isle of Enchantment, hm? Did they talk to New Mexico? Actually, I think New Mexico may have changed its nickname...
New Mexico's slogan is "Land of Enchantment"

Yes, I know that. New Mexico is not an island so they wouldn't call it Isle of Enchantment. It's an analogy, i.e., a "correspondence or partial similarity." Emphasis on partial in this case.

I meant I don’t believe all those deaths were natural causes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom