Would you travel to Dominican Republic now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guests staying at the Hard Rock Punta Cana resort will no longer have access to the minibar for liquor.
That says it all - no natural causes.....

Guests staying at the Hard Rock Punta Cana resort will no longer have access to the minibar for liquor.
That says it all - no natural causes.....

My guess is their liquor was tainted, or they fear a lawsuit if anyone finds tainted booze in the minibar.

Booze is so cheap in USA, that anyone wanting to kill themselves by drinking has more than ample opportunity to do so.

For our non-USA members, I can go to a local grocery store and $9.99 will buy a cheap bottle of 1.75 Liter of Vodka

My guess is their liquor was tainted, or they fear a lawsuit if anyone finds tainted booze in the minibar.

Booze is so cheap in USA, that anyone wanting to kill themselves by drinking has more than ample opportunity to do so.

For our non-USA members, I can go to a local grocery store and $9.99 will buy a cheap bottle of 1.75 Liter of Vodka

Yep, it's actually cheaper than rubbing alcohol at CVS (that's 70% isopropyl - non consumable - alcohol.) YMMV

We will probably pass on DR. We have been there before but as others have said, we have choices.

If we want a quickie last minute seven night AI it will be Cuba or Mexico.

We will probably pass on DR. We have been there before but as others have said, we have choices.

If we want a quickie last minute seven night AI it will be Cuba or Mexico.

Good point, because Mexico and Cuba are so much safer...:facepalm:

We went 2 years ago in February as a company trip for my wife's office. It definitely wasn't our favorite all inclusive destination, and most likely won't go back. I don't know that we accessed the minbar for anything but water/chocolates.

And parts of the USA where you could be hit by a random bullet or a texter driven car, or :confused::confused:

At least in the USA, we have a better crime solvability ratio. In Mexico, 98% of murders go unsolved.

Stay out of about 6 major cities in the USA and your chance of getting involved in a shooting crime is next to nil.

As someone that used to go there every year, and my mother actually lived there for a while, I would never go there again.

Some 27,500 people were murdered in Mexico last year. That’s more than Colombia and Venezuela—combined. It’s more than twice the number of murders in China, and nearly twice the number in the US. In fact, it’s more than every other country in the world save for Brazil and India.

But the most alarming fact about the homicides that occurred in Mexico last year is that a paltry 523 have resulted in a sentence, according to a new report from Mexico’s central statistics bureau (INEGI). That means 98% of the 27,500 murders in Mexico last year went unsolved.

In two Mexican states, Hidalgo and Tlaxcala, not a single homicide case resulted in a sentence, and in some of the country’s most violent states, the numbers are only marginally better. In San Luis Potosi, 99.6% of homicide cases have not been resolved; in Sinalao, 99.2%; in Chihuahua, 98.3%. Even in the state with the highest rate of sentencing, Mexico’s Federal District, 81.4% of murders still remained unsolved.

https://qz.com/105952/98-of-murders-in-mexico-last-year-went-unsolved/

At least in the USA, we have a better crime solvability ratio. In Mexico, 98% of murders go unsolved.

Stay out of about 6 major cities in the USA and your chance of getting involved in a shooting crime is next to nil.

As someone that used to go there every year, and my mother actually lived there for a while, I would never go there again.

So solvability correlates to chances of getting shot to death?

In the U.S., I am most worried about shooters that are seeking mass murder and WANT to get caught.

While there are so many soothsayers around, the fickle will always worry about things. My Niece goes to the DR every other year and has done for years with her family, and always enjoys it. I asked her about the goings on, she does not seem to be worried, but there again her family are always careful. Just as careful as one needs to be in the USA or anywhere else.

Saying that, DR is NOT my preference, neither is Jamaica. We do like Mexico, but again do take the usual care, as one would anywhere.

So unless you want to be a recluse, or are a real worry wart, "Take a Chance" or you simply may just miss out on like as it flies by you.

So solvability correlates to chances of getting shot to death?

In the U.S., I am most worried about shooters that are seeking mass murder and WANT to get caught.

I would worry more about getting struck by lighting. You have a much better chance at that. A 'mass shooting' of unrelated people is a statistical blip on the radar in terms of murders. You are more likely to be beaten to death with a hammer.

Last edited:
I believe that it comes down to where you travel.

Clearly there are areas in Mexico that are not safe. We would not go to those areas. But the same could be said for areas in North American cities.

I would worry more about getting struck by lighting. You have a much better chance at that.

Not quite So....

The odds of being hit by lightening is about anywhere from 1in 161k to 1 in 1.1m

Death by Accidental Firearm Discharge: 1 in 6.9k

Death by Assault by firearm 1 in 370

The odds will differ based on where one looks but it is definitely a lot less that being struck by lightening.

I believe that it comes down to where you travel.

Clearly there are areas in Mexico that are not safe. We would not go to those areas. But the same could be said for areas in North American cities.

100% correct. I have heard many people that say "As long as you stay in the resort, there is no issues".

To me, that is too close. And if you do get murdered, robbed, raped or assaulted, you are on your own, and the criminal will not get caught.

About 40 years ago I was in Santa Marta, Colombia, and a US cop on vacation, jogging on the beach, was robbed one morning....broad daylight.

Also in Colombia, one of our telco guys, on assignment there, was in Medellin.....went to the can at an indoor/outdoor restaurant, and ducked back behind a wall as he returned to his table because a guy, riding on the back of a motorcycle, held a pistol to the head of a diner and robbed him.

Choose your destinations carefully...or as carefully as you can.

Not quite So....

The odds of being hit by lightening is about anywhere from 1in 161k to 1 in 1.1m

Death by Accidental Firearm Discharge: 1 in 6.9k

Death by Assault by firearm 1 in 370

The odds will differ based on where one looks but it is definitely a lot less that being struck by lightening.

The odds of being struck in your lifetime is 1 in 3,000. Please compare the same statistics.

I wonder what the odds of being a victim in a crime in Mexico or the DR is, which is what the original OP wanted to know?

We would happily fly down tomorrow for a week or so in P. Morales or P. Vallarta-on our own or at an AI. And we would prefer it to Florida. Same for Cuba-AI or on our own.

Thanks for the interesting discussion. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom