Begging

So if soneone followed you into your garage, as happened to the OP, you'd find that nothing to be scared about? You are infinitely braver than I am!

That was definitely scary for the op. I am referring to beggars either stopping you on the street or coming to your door and how common that is in cities. In the vast majority of situations like this, nothing to be afraid of. I would not open my door and I don't generally give to people on the street.

I have about had it with panhandlers and such where we live.

We did have someone come to our door and dance around on the porch, which I could see through the glass on the door. He may have been harmless or a nutcase. I didn't care.

I yelled through the door, "GET OFF MY PORCH!" He left.

I have also been known to holler at the folks digging in neighborhood recycling bins.

I may be taking my life into my hands, but I think if someone came into my driveway bugging me for anything, I think my frustration would be about the same, and if I kept my wits about me, I'd yell something similar.

Just like Clint in "Gran Torino," only without the gun.

Not very nice and not very Christian, I guess, but I prefer other venues for my charity.

Our community is located along a major north/south freeway. As a result, I suspect we garner more than our fair share of unfortunate folks who are in dire straights. We sometimes get folks who show up at Church "out of gas". Should I make the decision that this is a real situation and not a scam, my own policy is to have then follow me to a local station where I will put gas in their vehicle for them. That way I know it is going in the tank. I have not been wrong yet.

Though I have always been fairly generous with the less fortunate, I have never given anything to anyone who approaches me on the street or in public. I always feel that it is a scam. I am probably incorrect at times, but will continue to do what I think is best.

My uncle was a minister.

Every few days, someone would come to his house asking for money for food (often with little kids in tow). He'd send the across the street to the diner, telling them that he had an account there and get anything they wanted.

In over 15 years, NO ONE ever walked across the street to the diner. The diner's owner was a friend but said that no one ever came in on his tab. And, yes, the owner would've told my uncle if someone did.

Wow, what an interesting thread this turned into.

I actually slept well last night and feel much better today, but DH and I continue discussing what we should/would have done differently. We've also come up with an "emergency phrase" to alert the other to the fact that something isn't right.

And a friend of mine who lives about 50 miles from here told me that this pulling in the driveway thing is a new scam in her area. And my cousin is a cop here in our area, and he also said they are starting to hear about more of this driveway tactic. The scammers know it's more disarming, which is their goal.

So, everyone be careful out there!

Having someone approach me for money in my own driveway would scare the crap out of me no matter how convincing the sob story. ......

I would be really upset if that happened to me, because a neighbor of ours was killed in his garage by someone asking for money. When he pulled out his wallet, he was killed. ......

Glad you are OK, it isn't always that way. 2 years ago only 1 block from my house some panhandler killed a passerby with an axe of all things, because he said no to this lunatic. A lot of these people are psychotic, or hyped up on drugs. Panhandlers and beggars are not harmless. And no matter what the PC bs about them, schizophrenics are sometimes not harmless either.

I live in a rural area and for the most part no one can see my yard or house unless they are directly in front of the driveway, it is quite private here. If anyone ever followed me up my driveway I'd be extremely worried. I'd stop 1/2 way up the driveway, get out of the car and make it clear I am carrying a firearm. I wouldn't point it at them or verbally threaten them but I would make it clear that they are to leave immediately. If they refuse to leave I'd draw my pistol, move the car up to the garage, park and lock the car outside the garage, get their tag and go inside and call the state police.

And a friend of mine who lives about 50 miles from here told me that this pulling in the driveway thing is a new scam in her area. And my cousin is a cop here in our area, and he also said they are starting to hear about more of this driveway tactic. The scammers know it's more disarming, which is their goal.

In some areas, going up someone's driveway uninvited is the best way to find yourself facing the nozzle of a shotgun...

So glad the OP was not physically harmed by this assault. No one has the right to remain on your property uninvited. I think I would offer to call the police and see if they could help them out.

I am almost never approached, even though I live in the LA area.

This is one of the few advantages of being a heavily built 6'2" guy with what I am told is a permanent scowl even when I am in the best of moods.

I heard one person say he only donates via his foundation. Now if the person would like to give him his address, he'd be happy to send the necessary paperwork.

Gypsy musicians in Paris ride the Metro system as a group playing music for a few stops then passing the pan around for donations. I always donated because the music was good and I felt that they're offering an entertainment service for the money.

We live in the suburbs and we don't encounter beggers here but when visiting the city we are often approached by them and when I offer to buy them food they decline.

I always say, "sorry, no", but DW is completely different. When we first moved to downtown area, a man came to the door, said his wife was having a baby in distant city, and he needed $20 for gas. DW said OMG, and went screaming to DD, and they gathered $40. She told the man that $20 was not enough to get him there and back.

She has limited her giving and trust these days. However, if someone asks her for money for food, she will likely walk them to local sandwich shop, and buy them a sandwich.

Back in my drinking days, I was once approached by a panhandler in downtown Minneapolis late on a Saturday night. He asked me for money, but being savvy about the ways of panhandlers, I was worried that he would waste it on food or shelter.

I offered to directly buy him a drink instead, and he thought that sounded great so we went to the door of a local bar. Unfortunately, the bouncer knew the guy and wouldn't let him in, and when he discovered that we were together, I was unable to get in as well.

So ultimately, I was unable to purchase a drink for either of us.

True story.

What an epic 1,000th post Hamlet.

I particularly enjoyed:
He asked me for money, but being savvy about the ways of panhandlers, I was worried that he would waste it on food or shelter.

Thanks for the laugh.

When I watch the news or one of those Dateline kind of shows, I am amazed how they can arrive at someone's porch and accost the people inside. That is as bad as beggers.

Remember in the good ole days when we had to put up with the Hare Krishna in the airports? I always went up to them if they started over my way...and asked them for money...

Last edited:
However, I try to be generous when I'm no being asked. Its my way to perform "random acts of kindness".
One author I read (forget which one), said that he would sometimes pay the highway toll for the guy behind him to relieve the stress of driving in rush hour traffic. $1. The cheapest therapy around, hehe.

Makes me glad I live in a high rise with a security guard in the lobby.

There are more causes and people in genuine need of assistance than I can possibly support so I like to make sure that my hard earned money goes to the genuinely needy. Potantial con-artists, high overhead charities and people who invade my privacy, irritate me or attempt to guilt trip me are have no chance of getting a hand out.

Someone in my driveway would have gotten a curt no and if they did not take the hint I would have been in the house with the dog barking and a firearm handy (and DW likely calling the police). In a suburban area like ours someone doing this would be extremely unusual and likely intent on bigger crimes.

One time I was at a small local shopping center - in the parking lot. A very pregnant young woman came up to me and asked me for $2 for gas so they could get home. I think I gave her $5 because it was so distressing to me. I even talked to her for a few minutes about how there is help out there for people in her situation.

When I came out of the store, she was hitting someone else up for money! I felt incredibly disgusted, as well as shocked that someone could use their (unborn) child in such a way.

That is the last time I have fallen for panhandlers. We give to the food bank and to the local homeless shelter only.:(

Sorry the OP had such a frightening experience...we all have to be more careful these days - unfortunately.

Have your own sob story ready. My husband left me, I am losing the house and I don't know how I am feeding the kids tomorrow. I was worried you were the repo man coming to take back the car...... blah blah blah. Then ask him he to spot you $20 to help you out. If he can not help, indicate he must be even worse of than you, and offer to share some of your Rice & Beans.

When aggressively pan-handled with one of these "emergency train fare" sob stories while in a major city, my brother and I offered to call the police so that they could connect the individual with social services which could help them. But wouldn't you know it, the person had already tried the police to no avail!

We became indignant that our social services would turn away someone so obviously in need. We pulled out a cell phone to call the police on their behalf and I mentioned I thought I saw a cop a block away.

Shockingly, they no longer needed my help. They had a sudden burst of inspiration on how to solve their own problem. :cool:

Jerks.

"Sorry I can't give you a few bucks, I don't carry bills smaller than $100's"

Works every time.

"Sorry I can't give you a few bucks, I don't carry bills smaller than $100's"

Works every time.

Until they decide they would be happy to have your hundreds, whether you wish to turn them over or not.

Back
Top Bottom