How Should Americans' Health Care be Paid For?

How Should Americans' Health Care be Paid For?

• Keep the status quo

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • The Health Care Act, or something similar

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Individual responsibility with minimal, if any, government involvement

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • A tax-funded, comprehensive government health plan

Votes: 54 36.7%
  • A government plan for catastrophic illness/injury, plus optional supplemental coverage

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • Hybrid—a government plan pays a set amount; the remainder is paid by supplemental coverage or out of

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Underwritten policies for catastrophic coverage + national risk pool + HSA + tort reform

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 5.4%

• Total voters
Luckily, the market does have a solution for the McAllen situation.

The docs in McAllen are ordering all these extra services for Medicaid patients because there's no effective oversight of what they are doing. A very interesting study was released just last month looking at McAllen, and guess what: Medical costs for McAllen residents using private insurance were actually lower than in nearby El Paso.
I guess 800 miles is nearby, but it would put me well into California and it would feel like a trip.

Ha

I guess 800 miles is nearby, but it would put me well into California and it would feel like a trip.

Ha
Hey, it's in the same state, how far away can it really be? We're not talking about a big state like Alaska.:hide:

Luckily, the market does have a solution for the McAllen situation.

The docs in McAllen are ordering all these extra services for Medicaid patients because there's no effective oversight of what they are doing. A very interesting study was released just last month looking at McAllen, and guess what: Medical costs for McAllen residents using private insurance were actually lower than in nearby El Paso.

From a report about this follow-up study:

So, a question for those crowing about Medicare's low administrative costs: Is it a bargain if this low amount of oversight causes a huge increase in unneeded medical care?

As you stated earlier:

This is interesting stuff, especially because it suggests something we can do within the scope of our current system.

It seems to me that this is a great deal different from your earlier post
I had in mind the type of things we associate with a competitive marketplace: Price transparency, many sellers, an incentive for buyers to seek lower prices, an incentive for sellers to attract buyers with better value (better service, lower prices), solid information for consumers regarding the relative quality of the services provided by various sellers, etc.

Texas Blue Cross didn't use any of these to get its better results, just one big insurer that puts a lid on treatments that it believes are excessive. So Medicare should be able to do the same thing. The question is why not?

I've thought that one of our bigger problems with Medicare is that politicians work so hard to hide the cost. We have a 1.45% employee tax, a 1.45% "employer" tax, and an equal amount from income taxes. The average voter probably thinks that his 1.45% pays for Medicare, but in fact it's only 1/4 of the total tax support. If we quadrupled the visible tax we might find that voters would support things that keep Medicare costs down. (That's one type of transparency.)

This also raises another question. Compared to other countries, how do our over-age-65 costs (virtually all Medicare and Medicaid) compare, and how do our under-age-65 costs compare (virtually all private health insurance or direct pay). I don't know the answer, but it might be interesting. Is all the higher use in the US tied to Medicare/Medicaid, or is a lot of it still paid for by private insurers?

... I would not be in the least bit surprised to find that these firms also contribute to lobbies fighting to reduce government interference in their businesses; specifically, the lobbyists working to block the creation of the OIG Medicare Inspector and Auditor positions.

I guess I may need to re-read the Constitution, but I was unaware that lobbyists had the authority to either create or block the creation of those positions. I thought that authority was ultimately with Congress.

I can imagine this conversation from my career days: "Gee Boss, I recommended the purchase of the equipment from Vendor B, because he offered me a bunch of personal goodies. So blame him for my action. It wan't my fault. Bad vendor."

-ERD50

I guess I may need to re-read the Constitution, but I was unaware that lobbyists had the authority to either create or block the creation of those positions. I thought that authority was ultimately with Congress.

I can imagine this conversation from my career days: "Gee Boss, I recommended the purchase of the equipment from Vendor B, because he offered me a bunch of personal goodies. So blame him for my action. It wan't my fault. Bad vendor."

-ERD50

The quote you gave stated they were working to block... not that they could block... different things...

So, a question for those crowing about Medicare's low administrative costs: Is it a bargain if this low amount of oversight causes a huge increase in unneeded medical care?
How do you reach the conclusion there is "a huge increase in unneeded medical care", or any increase at all, in McAllen or anywhere else? The article on McAllen says there is much poverty, obesity, poor diet in the area, which could lead to increased need for medical care. And even if there were an increase in unneeded care, and even if it were caused by lack of oversight, then low administrative costs might very well still make it a bargain. (The author of the New Yorker article infers that the increased care in McAllen is unneeded from a comparison of costs with a neighboring county with similar demographics, but this is obviously a non sequitur.)

The quote you gave stated they were working to block... not that they could block... different things...

OK, so if their 'working to block' does not lead to 'blocking', it is irrelevant, no? Let them 'work' all they want, makes no difference.

-ERD50

This is interesting stuff, especially because it suggests something we can do within the scope of our current system...
Texas Blue Cross didn't use any of these to get its better results, just one big insurer that puts a lid on treatments that it believes are excessive. So Medicare should be able to do the same thing. The question is why not?
Eventually rational rationing will be needed to curtail costs whether it is imposed by the provider(s) or chosen by customers with co-pays. In the meantime, it would be demonized as "death panels" by people who are opposed to any change. Little do they acknowledge that the death panels already exist and are staffed by insurance company bureaucrats.

It's remarkably simple, actually. The 'authority' is with Congress, as the designated sock puppets.

"So, Congressman, you like doze big checks we keeps writing youse? You wanna keep getting doze checks? Here's what ya gotta do..."

Try tracking down the actual authors of legislation. No, not the sponsoring Congressman. The person who came up with the text of the bills, or who 'consult' on the language and content. It's remarkably entertaining.

Observing the details of the legislative process isn't like watching sausage being made. It's like watching sausage being made by Fat Tony's enforcement squad. You never know just who is in each delicious bite...

How do you reach the conclusion there is "a huge increase in unneeded medical care", or any increase at all, in McAllen or anywhere else? The article on McAllen says there is much poverty, obesity, poor diet in the area, which could lead to increased need for medical care. And even if there were an increase in unneeded care, and even if it were caused by lack of oversight, then low administrative costs might very well still make it a bargain. (The author of the New Yorker article infers that the increased care in McAllen is unneeded from a comparison of costs with a neighboring county with similar demographics, but this is obviously a non sequitur.)
The New Yorker article indicated, as you said, that demographics in McAllen were similar to the nearby counties. The Medicare costs in McAllen were much higher. There was no indication of a difference in health outcomes. The author's interviews with the docs in McAllen indicated they believe they are ordering lots of possibly needless care and tests. I'm just going by what is in the article. So, what's your explanation for the higher costs in McAllen?

It seems to me that this is a great deal different from your earlier post
I had in mind the type of things we associate with a competitive marketplace: Price transparency, many sellers, an incentive for buyers to seek lower prices, an incentive for sellers to attract buyers with better value (better service, lower prices), solid information for consumers regarding the relative quality of the services provided by various sellers, etc.
Texas Blue Cross didn't use any of these to get its better results, just one big insurer that puts a lid on treatments that it believes are excessive.
You're right, Blue Cross of Texas didn't need any of that stuff to reduce expenses. While I was specifically thinking about consumer's direct purchase of medical services when I mentioned those "market attributes", the same thing applies to the (more fundamental and promising) scenario of consumers making choices about their health care insurer. If all those same attributes applied to the insurance market, we'd see lower costs and better care. As it is now (and as it remain under the new legislation--maybe) folks younger than 65 have little choice in their insurer, because their employer buys their insurance. I'm sure the employer's interests are not the same as the patient's interests. The choices/impact of market forces further decline when we reach 65. And then we have McAllens, or the wheelchairs that can't be purchased but must be rented at higher cost, etc.
So Medicare should be able to do the same thing. The question is why not?
Blue Cross of Texas is owned by Health Care Service Corporation. It is a private company interested in making a profit, and I'm sure they care about reducing waste. Medicare, on the other hand . . .

Another thing: There are some clear advantages to keeping the government in the pure "regulate and insure a fair marketplace" role. When they start providing services to citizens directly, that role is compromised.

There was no indication of a difference in health outcomes.
Was there any comparison of health outcomes at all? I must have missed that.
So, what's your explanation for the higher costs in McAllen?
I have no opinion about that. I'm just expressing doubt that this comparison between McAllen and El Paso counties can lead us to the conclusion that extending the Medicare system is not our best alternative.

As it is now (and as it remain under the new legislation--maybe) folks younger than 65 have little choice in their insurer, because their employer buys their insurance.
They may have some choice. Before I retired last summer, the state of Hawaii gave me a choice among several insurance plans, including at least a Kaiser Foundation HMO and two variants of a PPO, charging me different premiums and offering different benefits.

They may have some choice. Before I retired last summer, the state of Hawaii gave me a choice among several insurance plans, including at least a Kaiser Foundation HMO and two variants of a PPO, charging me different premiums and offering different benefits.

You probably have some choice if you are in a mega.... I think we had 6 at my last mega...

At my current company... we have one... it is expensive... it is not that great... but the company chips in $3500 toward your $5000 deductible...

There were a couple of our younger employees who opted to buy insurance for their spouse in the open market... even without the tax savings it is cheaper....

You're right, Blue Cross of Texas didn't need any of that stuff to reduce expenses. While I was specifically thinking about consumer's direct purchase of medical services when I mentioned those "market attributes", the same thing applies to the (more fundamental and promising) scenario of consumers making choices about their health care insurer. If all those same attributes applied to the insurance market, we'd see lower costs and better care. As it is now (and as it remain under the new legislation--maybe) folks younger than 65 have little choice in their insurer, because their employer buys their insurance. I'm sure the employer's interests are not the same as the patient's interests. The choices/impact of market forces further decline when we reach 65. And then we have McAllens, or the wheelchairs that can't be purchased but must be rented at higher cost, etc.

Blue Cross of Texas is owned by Health Care Service Corporation. It is a private company interested in making a profit, and I'm sure they care about reducing waste. Medicare, on the other hand . . .

Another thing: There are some clear advantages to keeping the government in the pure "regulate and insure a fair marketplace" role. When they start providing services to citizens directly, that role is compromised.

I believe that all the things you listed for markets (price transparency, multiple providers, etc.) already exist in the group health insurance market. My former employer looks at various providers and tries to get the best mix of price and quality. I think the interests of the company and the employees are pretty well aligned. The people assembling the info in HR are looking for the best combination of rates and employee satisfaction. They know their families will be using the group plan that gets chosen, and all their co-workers will be using it.

My comment on Medicare vs. Blue Cross was that much of the difference in incentives could be eliminated with some transparency in government. If voters could see the actual dollars they are spending on Medicare, I think we'd see much more voter support for controlling Medicare costs. "Reducing taxes" could be a motivation as strong as "increasing profits".

If voters could see the actual dollars they are spending on Medicare, I think we'd see much more voter support for controlling Medicare costs. "Reducing taxes" could be a motivation as strong as "increasing profits".
Bringing more focus on the problem of Medicare taxes and costs would be good. But the direct and rapid cost limiting features of a market will be more effective than actions dependent on political or regulatory action. People are more motivated to act by things that immediately impact them individually than they are to act about things that might later eventually impact them because they are part of a larger group.

Medical Insurance as Groceries:

Option A: A government grocery store system, with prices set by the government. People can go online and see why bread costs $6 per loaf. The mechanism to reduce costs is that we hope people write their legislators and force action when they think bread prices are too high, quality is too low, bread is unavailable, there's a 5 month wait for coffee, etc. These people will be motivated by hopes that they may eventually enjoy lower grocery prices and better bread.

Option B: There are many independent grocery stores. People buy the bread that they believe is the best value, though all the bread has to pass government standards for safety and content labeling.

I'm far more confident that Option B will keep bread prices in check, that bread will be more readily available and of higher quality, and that there will be less political wrangling to bestow products on favored constituencies at the expense of others.

Option A: A government grocery store system, with prices set by the government. People can go online and see why bread costs $6 per loaf. The mechanism to reduce costs is that we hope people write their legislators and force action when they think bread prices are too high, quality is too low, bread is unavailable, there's a 5 month wait for coffee, etc. These people will be motivated by hopes that they may eventually enjoy lower grocery prices and better bread.

Option B: There are many independent grocery stores. People buy the bread that they believe is the best value, though all the bread has to pass government standards for safety and content labeling.

I'm far more confident that Option B will keep bread prices in check, that bread will be more readily available and of higher quality, and that there will be less political wrangling to bestow products on favored constituencies at the expense of others.

Anything beats the current state of affairs:

Option C: There are many grocery stores, but in each of them the prices are not posted, or don't reflect the per-raisin fee on raisin bread. The clerk insists that you give him a blank check for the bread. You'll find out how much it cost on your next bank statement. The price you pay varies wildly, depending on which club card you have, and may be ten times higher without a club card.

Anything beats the current state of affairs:

Option C: There are many grocery stores, but in each of them the prices are not posted, or don't reflect the per-raisin fee on raisin bread. The clerk insists that you give him a blank check for the bread. You'll find out how much it cost on your next bank statement. The price you pay varies wildly, depending on which club card you have, and may be ten times higher without a club card.

Yes. And your employer will tell you which stores you can use, but he pays for most of your groceries. But his payment is ultimately of no benefit to you, because if he didn't pay for the groceries you'd get cash instead from him--and you could use it to shop wherever you want and buy bread without those d*mn raisins!

Yes. And your employer will tell you which stores you can use, but he pays for most of your groceries. But his payment is ultimately of no benefit to you, because if he didn't pay for the groceries you'd get cash instead from him--and you could use it to shop wherever you want and buy bread without those d*mn raisins!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :whistle:

Bringing more focus on the problem of Medicare taxes and costs would be good. But the direct and rapid cost limiting features of a market will be more effective than actions dependent on political or regulatory action. People are more motivated to act by things that immediately impact them individually than they are to act about things that might later eventually impact them because they are part of a larger group.

So you're saying we should eliminate all health insurance so that people have to the cost of medical care directly?
Or, are you saying we should eliminate group insurance so that everyone has to pay the insurance premium out of their own pocket?

So you're saying we should eliminate all health insurance so that people have to the cost of medical care directly?
Or, are you saying we should eliminate group insurance so that everyone has to pay the insurance premium out of their own pocket?
I don't think I'm following you, but then again my "grocery store" analogy isn't very precise.

People should be allowed to buy insurance. I think it works much better if they buy the policy directly in a controlled, regulated marketplace where they can choose their insurance provider. (Whether the employer cuts the check or the individual does, the individual is the one paying. Without doubt. This money is already computed into the market price of his compensation.)

This insurance will be lower in cost if various insurers compete with each other for this business, just as businesses compete with each other in every other part of our economy, resulting in lower costs and higher quality. We can accomplish ancillary social goals through government subsidies for the purchase of qualifying policies, through restrictions on underwriting ("all sellers must accept all applicants at the same price" or some variant perhaps based only on age, etc).

Some insurers might use a capitated or HMO model, some might reimburse providers on a fee-for-service basis, etc. People will vote with their dollars (and the poor will have some dollars provided by the rest of us).

We'd have to have a national discussion about what goes into this "basic" insurance. Mandatory co-pay levels reduce costs for everyone. Free immunizations and some checkups reduce costs for everyone. Since the level pricing forces all of us to subsidize everyone, we'll probably decide that private hospital rooms and expensive chemo for 90YO patients aren't something everyone should be forced to pay for, but that those who want it can buy their own individual policies at market rates.

RE:
M Paquette said:
the lobbyists working to block the creation of the OIG Medicare Inspector and Auditor positions.

ERD50 said:

It's remarkably simple, actually. The 'authority' is with Congress, as the designated sock puppets.

"So, Congressman, you like doze big checks we keeps writing youse? You wanna keep getting doze checks? Here's what ya gotta do..."

Oh I'm well aware that is how it 'works'. It just grates me when it appears the 'blame' is put on the lobbyists alone. They are powerless if our reps 'just say no'.

-ERD50

Oh I'm well aware that is how it 'works'. It just grates me when it appears the 'blame' is put on the lobbyists alone. They are powerless if our reps 'just say no'.

-ERD50
My brother has been a lobbyist for more than 40 years and has drafted many pieces of legislation. It was greatly to his clients' advantage that he do so but he was never putting something over on someone. The staff he worked with fully understood what he was doing and always had the final word. It saved them the time and hassle of drafting something a member or chairman had already agreed should be included or (more commonly) was something they agreed he could "write it up so they could take a look."

My brother has been a lobbyist for more than 40 years and has drafted many pieces of legislation. It was greatly to his clients' advantage that he do so but he was never putting something over on someone. The staff he worked with fully understood what he was doing and always had the final word. It saved them the time and hassle of drafting something a member or chairman had already agreed should be included or (more commonly) was something they agreed he could "write it up so they could take a look."

Yes, some lobbying efforts are a positive. A staff scientist I worked with at MegaCorp was interfacing with lobbyists on an issue, there was some legislation that was going to get passed one way or the other, and he was getting info to the lobbyist on how we could accomplish the goals of the legislation (reduce potential harmful materials in our products), but lessen the financial, bureaucratic and quality impact on our MegaCorp and our products (customers really, as all suppliers would be held to these standards, so the cost would be passed onto the customer).

Of course, anything we provided should be taken with a major grain of salt, as we had a built in conflict of interest. But it makes sense for them to listen to input from those experts who are affected by the legislation. It wasn't "don't do this", it was " we think option B is better than option A for all involved, and the end result is the same".

So as you say, the legislator's staff always had the final word - so all I'm saying is hold them accountable, not the lobbyists. We agree, right?

-ERD50

I do not understand the obama healthcare plan. it is too big and too complicated for the average person. I do know that the plan was enacted and that I have seen no change in health care coverage and that my healthcare insurance continues to rise at an alarming rate. so what is the healthcare plan supposed to do? healthcare programs are of no use to the public if we can't afford to buy them. the older you get the higher the premium so hopefully they can starve you out and won't have to pay when and if the time comes that you have catastrophic need.

Back
Top Bottom