Facebook taking it down!

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Interesting what triggers the market. I understand it is the tech part of it but amazes me what does and what doesn't at times. LOL

^ Another example of why market timing is something best left to the clairvoyant.

+1
Was thinking last week of moving some AA% from S&P 500 to NASDAQ, but decided against it. Not a pure market timing, since AA% would stay the same, but still would be chasing the "buy high" :nonono: concept.

Dow down over 400 points, and it's only 12:51 central time? I hate all the volatility we have been having in recent months. :mad:

Oh well. I guess a more positive way to look at it, is that the market always has something interesting to show us, lately.

Last edited:
Irony for me. Been too busy checking social media lately to see what's up with the market.

Hopefully, Facebook isn't the AOL of back in the day of the dot.com bubble :(.

My broker sold all my facebook stock over a year ago, so it wasn't me - :)

It's funny and sad that when voluntary the "data mining" occurred during the 2008 and 2012 election cycles, it was brilliant. FB found out about the mining but did nothing to correct. But since another "data mining " firm used it during the 2016 election cycles, it's scandalous. But it proves one point; data can and is mined not only for marketing purposes by the host website, but by making it less profitable when others can do it on your platform.

I certainly do not consider facebook as a repository for confidential personal info, other than revealing what subjects I might be interested in.

A friend of mine was discussing Facebook over breakfast this morning, and decided within 5 minutes to sell all he owned.... Nothing like a rash decision to send the market lower. I reminded him that someone on the other end of the trade thought it was a good purchase price. Nobody knows nuthin!!!

A friend of mine was discussing Facebook over breakfast this morning, and decided within 5 minutes to sell all he owned.... Nothing like a rash decision to send the market lower. I reminded him that someone on the other end of the trade thought it was a good purchase price. Nobody knows nuthin!!!

So true and quite funny.

I certainly do not consider facebook as a repository for confidential personal info, other than revealing what subjects I might be interested in.

I think depends on the person. Some people overshare, while others are more guarded. I'm more on the latter side and the only real reason I'm on FB at all is so I'm not out of the loop in social situations where folks talk around me. You know, "Did you hear about so and so?" Or "Are you going to make it to such and such?" ..read it all on FB... :(. Without joining, I'd go "Huh? What plans?"

Dow down over 400 points, and it's only 12:51 central time? I hate all the volatility we have been having in recent months. :mad:

Oh well. I guess a more positive way to look at it, is that the market always has something interesting to show us, lately.

This is how it used to be. Actually, this is still less volatile than it used to be.

Would it help the market if I changed notifications to receive info from all those friends who posts things like ‘Enjoying a buttermilk donut at Bluggos Donut Shop’, and ‘New grandchild has biggest burp ever’?

I've always felt that once you put something on FB, that information is fair game for harvesting. If FB was really interested in protected our info, they'd make secure and not sharing as default plus give us better filtering tools. Instead, I always get the feeling they are playing loose with your info and continually change how to use FB so we give up.

This is how it used to be. Actually, this is still less volatile than it used to be.

The difference is that the press can quote "down 400 points!" or some such.

People remember when it was down fewer points than that when it was a disaster. But 400 points is a lot less now than it was back then because the base is now well above 24,000 points.

If only people would use percentages, but they won't.

And the DOW JONES INDUSTRIAL AVERAGE is a poor choice to track. It just shows how successful Dow Jones has been in marketing it over the last 135 years. Me, I only pay attention to the S&P 500 percentage moves.

I've always felt that once you put something on FB, that information is fair game for harvesting. If FB was really interested in protected our info, they'd make secure and not sharing as default plus give us better filtering tools. Instead, I always get the feeling they are playing loose with your info and continually change how to use FB so we give up.

I agree, anything I put on FB I assume is accessible to anyone who wants to see it or use it. Hence I try to be discreet about what I use it for.

I use Facebook for event planning only. It is really handy for finding activities like where our favorite bands are playing, new exhibits at museums and park special events. I'm always happy when they show me a list of people you may want to friend and I've never heard of any of them.

I personally find FB terrifying.

Imagine Europe about 75 years ago: "We know where you live, where you work, what religion you are, who your friends are, what organizations you belong to, what political party you belong, when you meet....and please, show us pictures of your little children."

I personally find FB terrifying.

Imagine Europe about 75 years ago: "We know where you live, where you work, what religion you are, who your friends are, what organizations you belong to, what political party you belong, when you meet....and please, show us pictures of your little children."

+1.

Some folks don't realize that FB can be a stalker's dream come true.

My broker sold all my facebook stock over a year ago, so it wasn't me - :)

Which was a bad decision given FB was around 140 at the time, 170+ now.

Not trying to pick on you here...I actually lost money on Facebook. I bought it on the IPO an sold it at a loss. :mad:

I might start an investment confessions thread. I also managed to lose money on NetFlix. I had 200 shares, 100 with a cost basis around $85, 100 with a cost basis around $87. Sold both in 2012 at a slight loss. Netflix is now $313, so that was a $46K mistake on a $17K investment.

I have a bunch of others too... :facepalm:

Which was a bad decision given FB was around 140 at the time, 170+ now.

Not trying to pick on you here...I actually lost money on Facebook. I bought it on the IPO an sold it at a loss. :mad:

I might start an investment confessions thread. I also managed to lose money on NetFlix. I had 200 shares, 100 with a cost basis around $85, 100 with a cost basis around $87. Sold both in 2012 at a slight loss. Netflix is now $313, so that was a $46K mistake on a $17K investment.

I have a bunch of others too... :facepalm:

What made you want to sell at those times? Did you feel that the value were heading lower?

Cambridge Analytics created an app, under the guise of “fun”, that enticed people to answer personal questions. Apparently, in the fine print somewhere, this fact was disclosed. Also, apparently, some Facebook rules were bent/broken during this endeavor.

So this data wasn’t hacked, per se... If your security is set for maximum, and you don’t download apps and play “answer twenty questions”, you’re relatively “safe”.

Still have a hard time figuring out what of value was gleaned over my sharing pictures of cats in boxes ?

I completely gave up the quizzes when someone shared one that had what was your dogs name and what was you mothers maiden name questions included. Password fishing at its most heavy handedness.

Back
Top Bottom