Google Pixel 2 Phone

gerntz

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Thinking of getting one. Review I saw said Samsung G9 is a better phone but that the Google Android software is less complicated & thus easier to use. I'm into less complicated with my phone.

Any one using it? Comments? Thanks.

The reviews say it is a very good phone. A friend has one and used to have Samsung ones. He really likes it a lot.

I would only go with Google in Android because they make the OS and one gets the latest fastest. Plus I think security issues would be addressed faster. I currently have a Google Nexus 6P. My next one will be either a Pixel XL or an Iphone Plus.

You could go over to a site like Tmobil and read reviews from people who have purchased their phone through Tmo.

@lsbcal's points are good. That's why DW and I have been buying Nexus phones for years.

@gerntz, unless there is some feature of the Pixel that is important to you I'd suggest looking at the Nexus 5X. Yesterday, at least, Amazon had them refurbed for around $150. We have found them to be very good phones and they (like the Pixel) can be used with Google's Project Fi.

I have a Pixel XL. Great camera, battery life, speed, and as note above, upates are timely.

I've decided to get the Pixel 2 XL but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Both Pixel 2 and Samsung G9 are much more than what I need. I'm quite happy with my $150 Moto G4 Play.... simple, fast and functional.

Well, wound up getting LG V30's - quite similar to a Pixel 2 XL I think. Got a better price $800 for two V30's (DW & I) thru T-Mobile - their current deal - vs. needing to pay $850 each for 2 XL's thru Google unlocked. Verizon may have a better Pixel deal. With V30, give up Google's faster Android OS updates, but we can live with that for much lower phone price & TM's cheaper (for us) service rates.

I went with the Verizon $300-off deal but it is a bit of a lock in as you must pay the discounted (price-$300) over 24 months ($22.91/month). The phone should arrive tomorrow.

I went with the Verizon $300-off deal but it is a bit of a lock in as you must pay the discounted (price-$300) over 24 months ($22.91/month). The phone should arrive tomorrow.

I got this same deal. I am not planning on leaving Verizon, so i did not mind being locked in. A good deal in my opinion.

I bought a Pixel 2 (non-XL) at the end of December to go along with my switch to Project Fi. I got the $100 credit so the phone (64GB) will end up costing me $549. The short version is; it ain't worth it.

My old phone was a first gen Moto X. The Pixel 2 operates faster, has a better and faster camera, and the location of the finger print sensor on the back of the phone is genius. But, the Moto X was much better at notifying me of alerts (better UI) and was running a nearly bone stock version of Android. In summary, I just don't feel like the things that my Pixel 2 does better than my ancient Moto X are worth the $550 I paid for this phone.

If I had known about the Nexus 5 when I was making the decision to switch providers, I think that's what I would've purchased. If you really want a Pixel, my recommendation is to go with a used Pixel 1 and save yourself some dough.

Note - I am currently facing an issue with my Pixel 2 where the compass pointer in Maps won't stay calibrated. I will say that Project Fi support has been prompt and excellent so far, although I have not resolved this issue yet.

Well, T-Mobile deal requires 24 months too.

I encased my new V30 in a protective tempered glass screen cover and an anti-drop shock body cover & now it's not streamlined but clunky. I mean why show the phones as sleek if it's best to protect with bulky covers? Maybe more expensive ones aren't so chunky. Beats me.

I encased my new V30 in a protective tempered glass screen cover and an anti-drop shock body cover & now it's not streamlined but clunky. I mean why show the phones as sleek if it's best to protect with bulky covers? Maybe more expensive ones aren't so chunky. Beats me.

Yes the whole marketing game with phone sleekness is silly.

I recently got a nice Spigen case for a modest price. Never had a screen. Gorrila glass is tough. I have never dropped a phone.

I haven't bothered with cases or screen protectors in years and haven't had a problem. I suppose if one is prone to dropping their phone then a case might make sense but I see no need for a screen protector at all.

Both Pixel 2 and Samsung G9 are much more than what I need. I'm quite happy with my $150 Moto G4 Play.... simple, fast and functional.

I've seen a couple of recommendations for the Moto G4. I like the price range and reviews but is there anything similar you guys know of that is more compact? Five inches and below? I have a Samsung 3 mini and the it's a good size but has seen it's best days. I like sticking in my pocket while riding my bike and want something smallish.

I bought one for an easy transition back and forth from my tablet. The larger screen from my no longer supported old phone was nice. I am happy with my upgrade from Apple.

I like gsmarena.com for looking up random phone specs and doing comparisons although I couldn't find a "search by size" feature. Your SIII Mini has a 4.0" display and was released in late 2012. It's only 4.8" x 2.5", so that's pretty small by today's standards. I used a first gen Moto X for years and had great luck with that phone. The second gen Moto X was released in 2014 and has a 5.2" screen, but it's 5.5" x 2.8" so definitely larger than your current phone.

As far as new features go, I really like the rear mounted finger print sensor on my Pixel 2 for unlocking my phone. It just falls to hand when you grab your phone out of your pocket. The Nexus 5X has this feature, but it is not a current model and it measures 5.8" x 2.8", so even larger than the Moto X Gen 2. I sympathize with your desire to have a phone that fits in your pocket, but I think you're up against a trend towards bigger phones, or screens. I confess that I think the iPhone X is about perfect in that respect. Unfortunately it costs upwards of $1,000 and face id is not really ready for prime time.

One experience: this summer when we were evacuated due to fires I really appreciated having a good up to date phone with plenty of battery power.

Lesson: pay a little more for a good phone in order to cover emergency issues that could spring up in your life.

And having a fingerprint sensor is very convenient for security of the phone plus security of your sensitive sites (banks, brokerage, etc.).

I received my xl yesterday and set it up this morning. I really liked my previous Moto x pure but the pixel had been great so far. The transition was really easy. Haven't used the camera yet and that is supposed to be one of the highlights. The screen seems really nice even though that was one thing people complained about.

I received my xl yesterday and set it up this morning. I really liked my previous Moto x pure but the pixel had been great so far. The transition was really easy. Haven't used the camera yet and that is supposed to be one of the highlights. The screen seems really nice even though that was one thing people complained about.

I noticed now that Google's (3rd party?) buy back program would give me $150 back on my old Nexus 6P. Just a few days ago it would only give me $65 so it is tempting to pull the trigger and buy a Pixel 2 XL (= $850 - $150).

Edit:
Now I also noticed that one can get a $100 credit in the Google Store too. Might be handy if some other device appeals or perhaps software. I'm not but this may only be available if one looks it up via a phone (as opposed to a PC).

Last edited:
I like gsmarena.com for looking up random phone specs and doing comparisons although I couldn't find a "search by size" feature. Your SIII Mini has a 4.0" display and was released in late 2012. It's only 4.8" x 2.5", so that's pretty small by today's standards. I used a first gen Moto X for years and had great luck with that phone. The second gen Moto X was released in 2014 and has a 5.2" screen, but it's 5.5" x 2.8" so definitely larger than your current phone.

As far as new features go, I really like the rear mounted finger print sensor on my Pixel 2 for unlocking my phone. It just falls to hand when you grab your phone out of your pocket. The Nexus 5X has this feature, but it is not a current model and it measures 5.8" x 2.8", so even larger than the Moto X Gen 2. I sympathize with your desire to have a phone that fits in your pocket, but I think you're up against a trend towards bigger phones, or screens. I confess that I think the iPhone X is about perfect in that respect. Unfortunately it costs upwards of $1,000 and face id is not really ready for prime time.

Yeah....will probably have to go with something bigger. A friend of mine has a Samsung 7 and it doesn't look too big. Specs show 5.6"x2.74". Might could get away with that size. Refurbished price $180. I've always bought used. Going to look around a while, the old Samsung 3 still working.....just slow on the internet side. But only use that when out of town.

I've seen a couple of recommendations for the Moto G4. I like the price range and reviews but is there anything similar you guys know of that is more compact? Five inches and below? I have a Samsung 3 mini and the it's a good size but has seen it's best days. I like sticking in my pocket while riding my bike and want something smallish.

Initially, I bought a Moto G4. After couple weeks, I found that I didn't like its size... it was a little too big in my pants pocket. So DW inherited the G4 and I bought a Moto G4 Play. Similar phone, but a little smaller and fits comfortably in my pants pocket.

...I bought a Moto G4 Play. Similar phone, but a little smaller and fits comfortably in my pants pocket.

+1

The G4 has a 5.5 inch screen vs. 5.0 inches for the G4 Play.

The G4 Play size is 5.6 x 2.8 inches vs 4.8 x 2.5 for your S3. It really is a mini.

Last edited:
Initially, I bought a Moto G4. After couple weeks, I found that I didn't like its size... it was a little too big in my pants pocket. So DW inherited the G4 and I bought a Moto G4 Play. Similar phone, but a little smaller and fits comfortably in my pants pocket.

+1

The G4 has a 5.5 inch screen vs. 5.0 inches for the G4 Play.

The G4 Play size is 5.6 x 2.8 inches vs 4.8 x 2.5 for your S3. It really is a mini.

Thanks for the follow up. I looked at the G4 play and it looks like a possibility. Gonna just sit tight for now.

Back
Top Bottom