travel computer/tablet?

....What have other folks used or like?

Prime candidates:
Dell XPS 13
MS Surface

In January 2017, I bought a Lenovo Miix, Lenovo's answer to the MS Surface... I have been very happy with it... it has performed flawlessly.

I mostly use it as a laptop (with the attached keyboard), but sometimes use it as a tablet. I like that in tablet mode that I can input by printing with the stylus rather than pecking at an electronic keyboard.

Lenovo IdeaPad Miix 700-12" 2-in-1 Laptop/Tablet
(Intel m5, 12 8GB SDRAM, 256GB SSD, Windows 10) 80QL0020US

71RTTUptbSL._SL1500_.jpg

.... Last year I picked up a Lenovo N22 laptop with Windows 10. It's a decent little computer with a 11.6" screen and a real keyboard. The small size is great for traveling, it easily fits in my carry-on bag and weighs almost nothing. The small keyboard does take a bit to adapt to. I probably wouldn't write the next great novel on it, but for occasional tasks it works fine.

I bought DW a Lenovo N23 for Christmas... nice little laptop that meets her modest needs.

This is my dilemma. I need something that I can connect a SD/CF card reader and an external SSD to, so that I can copy large photo files (50 MB each) and 4K video files while I'm on the road (tend to shoot 300-500 photos per day). I also would like to be able to use Photoshop with reasonable color accuracy. I also want to be able to see the screen. My main considerations are the latest, fastest, most-expensive MacBook Pro, or the fastest Dell XPS15. Problem is, those are both expensive and heavy. And neither one is particularly good for use as a tablet. So...thinking of an XPS13 and an iPad as a compromise. Any better ideas?

A 13 inch MacBook Pro is not that heavy, and has a very, very nice screen.

I try to travel with my x-series Thinkpad and my Samsung Note.

While I've been pretty loyal to Thinkpads, we've been using HP's at work and I don't mind them at all. I just like using a laptop with a full keyboard while in the room or during certain transit. However, I've been wanting to try a Surface for travel.

I used to also travel with a tablet but eventually found it cumbersome having another device. We fly Westjet somewhat regularly and they do not have seat back screens. You have to use your own device and connect it to the plane's wifi to get access to entertainment. Using a laptop to watch is somewhat awkward and the seats typically only have USB charging. So having a tablet to watch movies during the flight is handy but I've relegated myself to watching a phablet sized phone.

DH has an MS Surface Pro. It is nice as it can be tablet like but runs Windows and for some programs he needs that. On the other hand, it is not really very powerful for gaming so there are some things he can't do on it he would like to do.

I "blew that dough" and bought a Huawei matebook X. It's an ultra-lightweight PC laptop with gorgeous graphics. It's form factor is a blatant copy of an Apple macbook. It has a really nice keyboard and long battery life. When we travel it's carry on only and everything has to fit the budget European airline carry-on rules.

I'm typing this note from our apartment on the island of Korčula - part of our 3-week journey through Croatia.

How much text do you input? If a tablet serves your needs, you could always get a folding bluetooth keyboard. Voice input has made great strides. See if that works for you.

I travel with an Asus Zenbook that I bought in early 2015. Light, capable & still going strong.

For me, a good, light computer enhances my travels. I like editing some of my photographs along the way, researching restaurants & sights, purchasing tickets in advance, keeping in touch & reading. I also keep it in my bedside table & use it almost every morning to catch up on my email & news, and browse my favorite forums & blogs.

Last edited:
I have to admit that I am continually amazed at how good voice input on my Android phone is.... my first voice recognition was with DragonSpeak and it was garbage.

We used to travel with a laptop, but found that we never used it much, if at all. Instead, anything we need to do while traveling can be accomplished on our smartphones. So we just leave the laptop at home now. In fact, we never really use it at all. At home, we either use the main desktop PC in the office or our smartphones.

Typing is old school. I just tap the mic button and dictate text. DW still likes to peck away at her phone. A few days ago I asked, why don't you just tap the mic button and talk? She said, I don't like to talk into my phone, it's weird. I raised my eyebrows and she realized what she had said. She's starting to use the mic more.

Same here, this is what tablets were designed for. My company it totally iPad based. Couldn’t imagine dragging a laptop around. I can turn my iPad instant on and fire off a few emails, get directions on google maps and slip in in my bag before your laptop would boot up.

The Lenovo Yoga or Miix 700 look pretty nice.
Unfortunately, unless it's Apple or MS Surface, it's hard to find a retailer near me where I can actually look at and play with one. I may have to just order one online based on recommendations and ratings.

I have a small iPhone, intentionally, so can’t use that. I bought a 10” iPad Pro with a keyboard and hardly ever use my laptop now. I don’t use the keyboard much but I’m glad to have it. And macular degeneration has made it hard to read except on a tablet. This has worked well. I have an iPad mini that is smaller for traveling - it depends how long I’ll be gone.

Haven't checked out the Surface Go yet ... too busy.

Current choices
* Surface Pro
* Surface Go
* just get a nice iPad now and pick up a cheap WIN laptop later as needed

I ended up picking up an Acer One 10 for under $200. It does everything I need for travel. It is a full Win10 laptop with a removable IPS touch screen that acts as a tablet. I added an SD card and travel mouse, installed MS office, and good to go.

+1

I also bought an Acer One 10 earlier this year on sale, and it has worked out very well for my travel.

Just returned from 22 days vacation in España.
We took:
2 iPhones
2 iPads (no keyboard)
1 MacBook

We took the Macbook because I needed it for doing website stuff.
Last year, on our trip to Portugal, I determined that an iPad with a keyboard is not good enough for: coding, image editing.

Just returned from 22 days vacation in España.
We took:
2 iPhones
2 iPads (no keyboard)
1 MacBook

We took the Macbook because I needed it for doing website stuff.
Last year, on our trip to Portugal, I determined that an iPad with a keyboard is not good enough for: coding, image editing.

We are usually gone to Europe for about 6 weeks. So we take our sleek 13” MacBook. I’m keeping up with online banking and some spreadsheets and downloading stuff into Quicken, stuff I really can’t do on an iPad.

I’m usually doing some online buying too - like train tickets, and last minute tours.

I also load photo images and we do some photo editing and send emails with photos.

Otherwise we carry two iPhones, one iPad mini for me. DH used to carry an iPad mini too, but he decided his iPhone X is big enough for reading.

MS Surface. Our enterprise is swapping to this. NFL uses it on the sidelines.

I may consider a Chromebook. Much cheaper.

Can I translate Excel and Word files into Google environment?

How are Chromebook generally for streaming video? I sometimes like to watch a Netflix show in bed at the end of the day.

The Lenovo Yoga or Miix 700 look pretty nice.
Unfortunately, unless it's Apple or MS Surface, it's hard to find a retailer near me where I can actually look at and play with one. I may have to just order one online based on recommendations and ratings.

I have toyed with the idea of the new Surface Pro. DH has a Surface Pro 4 and has liked it.

I once had a Lenovo Yoga and will never under any circumstances ever buy a Lenovo again. The warranty service or lack thereof was the absolute worst customer service I have ever experienced in my lifetime for any product of any kind.

We have had Lenovos for the last 25 years and have never had an issue... they ve been flawless in our experience... nothing but Lenovo in our household... including cellphones.

I traveled globally for the past 30 years; felt the same way about needing a keyboard! And file storage. I bought an Asus Zenbook and have been very happy with it. It's a little over 2 lbs so not heavy (even a 10lb carry on feels twice that after 20+ hours of flying!) and got the external dvd drive to put in my suitcase but never used it so ditched it. Battery life is good and I've been very happy with the solid state drive.

I just got the new Fire HD 10.1 inch tablet.
It was a super deal at $109 if I took a free month of Prime. (duh... yes free for $40 off).

It was great on a trip to download movies and shows to watch when on an isolated island (no electricity, no internet).

Well, I made a decision and bought the Surface Go, 8GB/128GB version.
I just liked the build quality and performance. It seems very nice. Now have to get better aquainted with it!
Thx all for inputs. I'll post my impressions in a little while after I use it for a spell.

Back
Top Bottom