REAL ID -- can a passport card suffice?

The Cosmic Avenger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
OK, not quite travel related, but travel-adjacent, and as this is a smart and well-traveled group, I expect some of you will be more familiar with passport cards and REAL ID than most.

I have a noncompliant driver's license, but I have my passport for flying, and when I renewed I got the passport card, which I keep in my wallet. My DL doesn't expire for another three years, and since I like to LBYM I'm reluctant to pay a fee to renew early if there's no benefit. Since I carry my passport card with me, I am not worried about my DL not being accepted, so is there any reason I should care that my DL is not REAL ID compliant? I feel 99% certain that I'm fine, but of course I worry that I'm missing something, that there's some edge case where I'll wish I had updated my license.

From https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...a-passport-can-help-you-fly-domestically.html

The U.S. passport book and U.S. passport card are both accepted by TSA as ID for domestic flights.

You may not have heard about the U.S. passport card before. The passport card cannot be used for international air travel, but it is still a great ID to have in your wallet.

TSA accepts the passport card as ID for domestic flights.
The passport card can be used for entering the United States at land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
The passport card only costs $30 for adults if you already have a passport book, and only $65 for first time adult applicants.
The passport card has the same validity as the passport book: If you’re over 16, your passport card is valid for 10 years. If you’re under 16, your passport card is valid for 5 years.

EDIT: Oh! You may not be asking about using the card just for flying. Sorry.

OTOH, I can’t recall when I’ve needed a DL for anything else. I’m not aware of anyone other than TSA wanting real ID.

Last edited:
The passport card will cover you for those instances where a REAL ID driver's license would suffice.

I just renewed my drivers license in November. I debated whether to spring for the upgraded Real ID license, but since I very rarely fly anywhere and already have a passport I opted for the standard license. I was able to do that online without leaving home, whereas I would have had to gather a bunch of documentation, visit a DMV office, and pay additional money for the upgraded license. Simply not worth the hassle in my situation.

If I really need to fly somewhere I'll just take my passport with me. I've only flown once in the last seven years, so it's not a big concern.

That said, I will probably have to visit the DMV office next time (every other renewal requires a new photo) and may opt for a Real ID then. If I'm already there, why not.

You need real ID for some federal facilities too. You can use the passport or passport card just don’t forget to bring it. NIH is an example but there are many other places

I recently renewed my driver's license and decided to get the enhanced version despite having a passport card. Why? Why not?

I figure if I avoid just one missed domestic flight because I foolishly left the passport card at home, then the enhanced license will be worth its weight in gold.

Last edited:
I just renewed my drivers license in November. I debated whether to spring for the upgraded Real ID license, but since I very rarely fly anywhere and already have a passport I opted for the standard license. I was able to do that online without leaving home, whereas I would have had to gather a bunch of documentation, visit a DMV office, and pay additional money for the upgraded license. Simply not worth the hassle in my situation.

If I really need to fly somewhere I'll just take my passport with me. I've only flown once in the last seven years, so it's not a big concern.

That said, I will probably have to visit the DMV office next time (every other renewal requires a new photo) and may opt for a Real ID then. If I'm already there, why not.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I'm thinking. I updated my photo last time, so if they let me renew online, I might stick with the noncompliant ID, since I really don't need the REAL ID DL.

How much additional is charged? Looks like TX missed out on the chance to levy an additional charge as the fee is the same for a Read ID license.

Here in Washington state it's $54 for a standard license for six years, or $78 for an enhanced (Real ID) license. Granted, that's not a big difference, but why spend the money for something I'll rarely, if ever, use. Especially when factoring in the convenience of renewing online vs spending the afternoon at DMV.

Strangely, I can't even apply for a Real ID type driver's license yet. My state has been clumsily trying to comply for years and they still don't have their act together yet. Current plan is to set up some regional offices to issue them, but nobody knows when or where yet.

Not a problem for us, since we have passport cards, but a pretty sad commentary on the state bureaucracy. :facepalm:

Here in Washington state it's $54 for a standard license for six years, or $78 for an enhanced (Real ID) license. Granted, that's not a big difference, but why spend the money for something I'll rarely, if ever, use. Especially when factoring in the convenience of renewing online vs spending the afternoon at DMV.

Point of clarification: Enhanced driver's license (EDL) is NOT the same as a REAL ID.
they are 2 different things.

https://dmv.ny.gov/which-id-right-me

ENHANCED
  • An Enhanced license, permit, or non-driver ID can be used
  • to board a domestic flight (within the U.S.)
  • to enter a federal building or military base
  • to cross a U.S. border coming from Canada, Mexico, and some Caribbean countries (it is not acceptable for air travel between these countries)
  • for photo identification purposes

Enhanced
  • is Federal REAL ID compliant
  • costs an additional $30 on top of the regular transaction fees
  • requires an office visit to prove your
  • identity- *if your name has changed bring in marriage certificate(s), divorce decree(s) or court order document(s)
  • NY State residency
  • U.S. citizenship
  • date of birth
  • Social Security status
  • shows your full legal name (first, middle, last)
  • shows your residential address (where you live)
  • has an American flag displayed on the document

REAL ID
  • A REAL ID license, permit, or non-driver ID can be used
  • to board a domestic flight (within the U.S.)
  • to enter a federal building or military base
  • for photo identification purposes

REAL ID
  • is Federal REAL ID compliant
  • does not have additional cost, but all regular transaction fees will apply
  • requires an office visit to prove your
  • identity- *if your name has changed bring in marriage certificate(s), divorce decree(s) or court order document(s)
  • NY State residency
  • lawful presence in the U.S.
  • Social Security status
  • shows your full legal name (first, middle, last)
  • shows your residential address (where you live)
  • has a star displayed on the document

Good point -- in my state, there's no extra charge. In fact, there's only one fee listed, so I'm assuming they don't issue noncompliant DLs any longer. I guess I was feeling like maybe I should update it early, but instead I will probably be one of the last holdouts with a noncompliant DL. But only because I don't see the need to waste my money renewing early!

Same boat...DL doesn't expire for several more years, but passport expires this fall so I'll just pay for a renewal and add the passport card.

If you are in a trusted traveler program like Global Entry the ID card from that would also work as a real id. Real ID factsheet

My state hasn't gotten Real ID drivers licenses out yet and is going to charge an extra $30 each renewal so a passport card is the cheapest way to still be able to fly.

Point of clarification: Enhanced driver's license (EDL) is NOT the same as a REAL ID.
they are 2 different things.

Not something I was familiar with. Apparently, only five US states and two Canadian provinces issue Enhanced driver's licenses, so it seems to be an idea whose time has not yet come.

Same boat...DL doesn't expire for several more years, but passport expires this fall so I'll just pay for a renewal and add the passport card.

I’m the same. I have the global entry card and when I renewed my passport last spring I got a passport card. I’ll just wait for my DL to expire before I upgrade.

I have a passport, but still opted to upgrade my non-expired DL to Real ID. In MO I think I paid $9 to change out the non-expired license (with 4 more years left on it).

My logic was, I ALWAYS have my DL with me when traveling inside the US, I seldom have my passport. What if we are on a driving vacation (say, spending the month in Florida) and one of us needs to get home immediately for an emergency?

While the passport card would serve the same purpose, I don't have one, and don't need ANOTHER card in my wallet.

OTOH, if I lived near our northern or southern boarder, or if we frequently took Caribbean cruises, I would probably opt for the convenience of the passport card.

A few years ago I was traveling from Virginia to Hawaii on business and my wallet fell out of my pocket at my departure gate. Since then I've made it a habit to carry two forms of ID: my DL in my wallet and my passport in my carryon. That was a very bad day. Interestingly, the hardest part was checking into the hotel in Oahu; they eventually let me check in using a photo of my DL which DW texted me (she found my wallet at the departure airport).

One can actually fly without any ID, although it's a PITA. I thought I might have to change terminals at SFO which could have required me to exit and re-enter security, but luckily that was not the case.

Federally issued IDs are real.
SOME are. My brother tried to use his Coast Guard issued chief marine engineer's license instead. (He had to go through a FBI check and security check to get it--they are seriously security conscious after 9/11 as you well know).

No go, even though it was a Federal issued ID.

Just give them what they ask for.

Going to the DMV (Secretary of State office here in MI) tomorrow and I’ll be getting my license renewed. Since the restriction doesn’t go into effect until October 2020, I decided to wait, knowing that my license would hit renewal this month. Not sure if it cost more, but I’ll get the real ID on my DL just to be sure that when I fly I’ll have what I need. Thanks to this thread, I’ll also take my passport card on a flight I’m taking in a couple days. One of the comments made me realize that since my DL will be in sort of a limbo state since I won’t have the new one yet that they might not accept (or at least question) my temporary license that I’ll get tomorrow. Basically, they cut the corner off and staple it to a form. It’s fully compliant for driving and no officer would question it, but I’ll take a backup to the airport just to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom