U.S. Passport Card Processing Times

Ian S

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For various reasons, I've decided to get a U.S. Passport card to have in addition to my existing valid passport. My understanding is since I have a valid passport, I would send that in with the application for the passport card. I assume that the passport itself would be returned without renewal since it's only three years old. I'm wondering what the current turn around time is for such applications these days and would it make sense to pay for expedited service so I won't be without a passport for an extended length of time? Anyone who has done it recently, I'd love to hear your experience.

There's a long-running thread on this topic on cruisecritic.com. The times vary based on your location and which processing center takes ownership of it. Most people seem to post about passport renewals, which is not necessarily the same as getting a card. But it might be comparable. While some post it took only a couple weeks, a quick glance seems it's more like 5-7 weeks for most without expediting it.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2885477-us-passport-processing-time/#comment-64083435

OP, I guess you have a strong reason for this, as there is a risk your passport will get lost.

I've never felt they are worth it as they are only accepted by very few countries: Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, and 8 islands in the Caribbean.

When I've cruised in the Caribbean, I didn't need to use my passport in the Caribbean, just my ship card.

OP, I guess you have a strong reason for this, as there is a risk your passport will get lost.

I've never felt they are worth it as they are only accepted by very few countries: Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, and 8 islands in the Caribbean.

When I've cruised in the Caribbean, I didn't need to use my passport in the Caribbean, just my ship card.
Yes, I've not thought they were worth it either. But, here's my problem. I'm a dual national (US/Canada) but have had only a US passport for the last 20+ years. I've decided to get a Canadian passport but currently, from what I've heard, their passport agency is a mess and processing times are through the roof. For that application, I need to submit proof of identity which would normally be a passport, driver's license or some other form of government ID which could also be a passport card. I think I'd be safer to submit the passport card than either of the other two forms of ID. I'm not in a terrific hurry to get all this done but I do want that second passport and I don't want the worry of my US passport or driver's license getting lost in a foreign bureaucracy or just being without them for an extended period of time.

I've found the passport card very convenient on visits to Canada. Just stick it in my wallet with my DL and I'm set.

It also served well as a substitute for a REAL ID DL, since my state didn't get around to issuing them until last year.

I don't want the worry of my US passport or driver's license getting lost in a foreign bureaucracy or just being without them for an extended period of time.
Check your state's DMV, you may be able to order another driver's license that you can send in. I agree driving around without a current driver's license is not a good idea.

- Rita

Yes, I've not thought they were worth it either. But, here's my problem. I'm a dual national (US/Canada) but have had only a US passport for the last 20+ years. I've decided to get a Canadian passport but currently, from what I've heard, their passport agency is a mess and processing times are through the roof. For that application, I need to submit proof of identity which would normally be a passport, driver's license or some other form of government ID which could also be a passport card. I think I'd be safer to submit the passport card than either of the other two forms of ID. I'm not in a terrific hurry to get all this done but I do want that second passport and I don't want the worry of my US passport or driver's license getting lost in a foreign bureaucracy or just being without them for an extended period of time.

This seems well worth the money to get the card. Good thinking.

I've found the passport card very convenient on visits to Canada. Just stick it in my wallet with my DL and I'm set.

It also served well as a substitute for a REAL ID DL, since my state didn't get around to issuing them until last year.
Yes, I have family in Canada so it would be handy in that regard. My state was also late in setting up REAL ID DL's so I never bothered to get one especially since our DL's are only good for 5 years once you reach 65.

Check your state's DMV, you may be able to order another driver's license that you can send in. I agree driving around without a current driver's license is not a good idea.

- Rita
Hmmm I may look into getting a non-driver's license state ID since I'm not sure you can have two valid DL's. That might suffice. I will call DMV on Monday. Thanks!

Hmmm I may look into getting a non-driver's license state ID since I'm not sure you can have two valid DL's. That might suffice. I will call DMV on Monday. Thanks!
Well, this is increasingly looking like the least risky way to go. The decision I have to make is whether I get the travel ID or the non-travel ID. The latter is free but will become pretty much useless when it won't be accepted as Federal ID next year. The better bet may be to spend the $25 and get the travel ID. The latter, without the "NOT FOR FEDERAL IDENTIFICATION" plastered across the top, would probably be less likely to ring alarm bells for a Canadian bureaucrat! And I can do all this with out submitting my passport or DL - just means a visit to the local DMV I guess.

We’re on the Mexican border so helpful here too.

Useful link! Yeah, results are all over the place. I don't really need mine till May.

I'm at 5 weeks for a passport plus passport card, still in process. I tried to get RealID with my last DL renewal and didn't notice that my bill from Podunk Water Company did not show the service address because my mailing address is a PO Box. The local person knew that I must live in Podunk but knew the state office wouldn't accept it. Rather than run home and find another utility bill I got a regular DL. I know I could get a RealID any time but figure the passport card will be fine for domestic flights. Having lost my passport in Malta last May and jumped through the hoops to get a replacement (the US Embassy, bless them, produced a new one in less than 24 hours), I don't want to be carrying my passport as ID on domestic flights.

I also have dual citizenship (US/Canada) and have both passports. I am thinking of letting my Canadian one expire as it has been useless the past many years.
I used to drive up to the CDN border and show my Canadian passport, One time I was questioned about the ownership of my new Van (IL), and the officer explained it was illegal for Canadians to buy & plate a US car to sneak back into Canada. But as a US Citizen of course it was fine for me to drive it.

The final straw was, another year the CDN officer, took my passport and my DW's US passport and then asked where I live. He told me I have to use my US passport since I live in the US and not to use my Canadian one when entering Canada. I showed him my US passport at that point. I would always use the US one to reenter the US so I had it with me.

Since not having a passport doesn't remove Citizenship, I still have the same right to enter Canada as any Canadian , which a visitor does not have. I was tempted to exercise that right during Covid, but DW would not be allowed in so it was moot.

Since not having a passport doesn't remove Citizenship, I still have the same right to enter Canada as any Canadian , which a visitor does not have.
I hear you and understand that. When I last had a Canadian passport, they were only good for five years and it was always a nuisance to renew it. At that time, I thought I'd always remain in the USA so why bother with the Canadian passport. Fast forward a quarter century and I'm not quite as certain that I wouldn't move back to Canada especially for example, if it looked like I'd need to move into a retirement community. All my blood relatives are in Canada not to mention a lot of old friends. Although I wouldn't enter Canada with my now ten year duration Canadian passport, once there it would likely make settling there easier if it came to that.

I hear you and understand that. When I last had a Canadian passport, they were only good for five years and it was always a nuisance to renew it. At that time, I thought I'd always remain in the USA so why bother with the Canadian passport. Fast forward a quarter century and I'm not quite as certain that I wouldn't move back to Canada especially for example, if it looked like I'd need to move into a retirement community. All my blood relatives are in Canada not to mention a lot of old friends. Although I wouldn't enter Canada with my now ten year duration Canadian passport, once there it would likely make settling there easier if it came to that.

Not sure how, but I haven't thought too much about it.
You have a birth certificate, and would get a drivers license or ID card , pretty quickly.
I was glad when they made them for 10 years.

Update; I went to the DMV but unfortunately, they don't allow you to have more than one valid ID at a time: if I got a travel ID, my DL would no longer be valid. What the person there suggested was for me to get a new Federal compliant DL; while my old DL would no longer be valid as a DL, it would still be a valid ID issued by the state according to the DMV lady. So that's what I did. Still wondering if there's a better way (old DL states "not for federal identification" which might raise eyebrows at the Canadian passport office.)

I plan to get a passport card the next time that I renew my passport. That way I don't have to send my passport in order to get one.

I plan to get a passport card the next time that I renew my passport. That way I don't have to send my passport in order to get one.

I thought I requested both when I renewed. What I got back (so far) was a new passport but the photo page was a hard, inflexible plastic card- almost like a credit card. Is that the passport card? I'd actually have to detach it so I'm not sure. I don't want to pull off something that's a necessary part of the passport.

I thought I requested both when I renewed. What I got back (so far) was a new passport but the photo page was a hard, inflexible plastic card- almost like a credit card. Is that the passport card? I'd actually have to detach it so I'm not sure. I don't want to pull off something that's a necessary part of the passport.

No. The passport card is the size of a credit card and mailed separately (from a completely different office). In my experience it usually arrives a week or two later than the new passport.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom