Major earthquake in Northern California

laurence

Moderator Emeritus
All I'm getting is a ticker, no details. Everyone in No. Cal o.k.? T-bone Al? TH, you are too far inland, right?

Edit: It now says just outside Cresent City, that's T-bone's area? You o.k., my man?

About 80 miles off shore. Apparently not felt on land, but tsnamui warnings up.

Hmmm...day in jury duty kept me out of the loop. Of course, it would take a 12.9 for us to feel it up here on the central valley plate, and a 300' tsunami wouldnt get anywhere near us here. I might have ocean front property after a while though.

Hmmm...big one in the far east, big one in south america, now a big one here. Movements a foot...

BTW Laurence, did you get rattled any by Sunday's quake? Heard it was felt down to San Diego

Tsunami warning dropped.
Due to lack of interest?

We felt it, but it was the usual, "Hey, is that an earthquake? Oh yeah! Pass the butter."

I lived in Northridge during that quake. Now that was hairy.

Looks like all is well. Cheers. :)

What's an earthquake?

Cali is full of interesting weather and natural disasters. Rain that turns into floods and mudslides (houses falling off cliffs), earthquakes, perfect weather, extremely hot weather, fog...interesting

Yeah, that was "our" earthquake, since it was 80 miles directly west of us.

The couch started shaking rapidly, and I thought it was DW's knitting.  My usual joke: "What, is this an earthquake?"  Then it started shaking more strongly and slowly and that continued for about 20 seconds.  Not that big.  Not big enough to get under the table, but big enough to think "you know, we should probably get under the table."

Checked out the earthquake map and after 10 minutes or so it came up as a 7.4 off shore (later downgraded to 7.0). 

So out to the cliff for tsunami watching.  We're on a cliff about 80 feet high, so I'm sure we're out of tsunami range, but one neighbor took off for higher ground.

Saw absolutely nothing, tsunami-wise.  If there's gonna be a tsunami, I sure as heck want to see it.  Apparently it was a side-slip type of earthquake, which doesn't tend to produce tsunamis.  I sure would have expected to see something anyway, but I think I got out there too late.  My understanding is that tsunamis travel at about 900 MPH in deep water, so it could have arrived just 5 minutes after the quake. 

There have been some aftershocks -- I think we'll stay off the beach for a few days.

Al, I think I'd avoid standing on the edge of a coastal cliff to watch the tsunami. If a big wave hits it could easily stack up on that cliff face and come over, or just hit hard enough that the end of the cliff comes down. There's usually someone each year or two that get washed off the rocks below the Cliff House when a little bit bigger wave than usual surprises them and comes up to grab them.

Shortly after the tsunami warning came over the radio I checked the NWS tsunami page and saw they'd canceled the warning. The sirens at the beach (I'm 3 blocks in from Ocean Beach in San Francisco) didn't go off. We did have a couple of moments between the warning and cancelling of it in which we wondered if we should be getting in the car and heading 10 blocks or so inland.

The nice thing is that we actually got a warning.

cheers,
Michael

th said:
Buk-buk-buk-buk-awk!

Oahu had a tsunami warning a few years back that looked like the real thing. The sirens went off and everybody raced to tune in to their radio/TV broadcasts. As soon as the warning was transmitted, approximately 2000 surfers headed up to the North Shore as fast as they could get through Haleiwa's traffic.

Talk about the ultimate Darwin Award...

(I was recently able to verify that we live at 450 feet of elevation. Bring it on.)

Who you callin' chicken?

SmallCard.jpg

TboneAl -

If you live in the "sticks" I will take those sticks any day.

Laurence - "Dude" is more like it (compared to y'all)

Me and two buddies were paddling out one morning at a local beach, and one of the local boys drifted over to say, "Duuuuude, I don't, like, mean to be a d*ck, but you guys are kinda in the way, this is our spot ya' know. Sha!" :uglystupid:

The three of us are all native Cali's, but until then we didn't realise that some actually do speak that way! Maybe he was a transplant overdoing his cover. :LOL:

A lot of 'chicken mania' lately!

I remember a quote from some ceo of a game company that had come up with a new toolkit for customizing and building your own games. He said something like "If you want dwarves with flaming chickens coming out of their butts, you can have that!".

I should go look that up and see if that company is still in business...

It a sign of the end times, I'm sure. ;)

Some recent arrivals from other states at my work really got freaked out. One was afraid of the earth splitting open and "hot magma getting" him. I told him not to worry, the blast of brimstone would knock him out first so that he wouldn't feel any pain. :D

Sounds like my first earthquake experience.

I was at work in a meeting. Old building in a manfacturing plant with exposed pipes, covered with what was probably asbestos. Found out years later the whole site I worked on was a SuperFund site.

Stuff started grumbling, I said "what the heck is that" and someone mumbled.."little earthquake". I grabbed a pipe and started squeezing. The other 10 cali's chuckled and said "look at the east coaster...ok...you got a pipe...now what you gonna do with it?"

:p

When the earthquake hit yesterday, everyone in our office just looked at each other. No one moved and the building was rattling like crazy. Finally, it stopped! I have lived in Southern California for 28 years and have never enjoyed that earthquake feeling. Big concern having a paid off house and nearing retirement.

Only good one I ever experienced was right after I got out of the shower at a hotel in san jose. Was on the 10th floor. All of a sudden everything started swaying. I was looking right out the window at the time. All the trees and stuff were moving back and forth. By the time it occurred to me that I might want to get dressed and the heck out of the building it stopped.

Back
Top Bottom