Stupid California proposition phone calls

We have the same problem the last two weeks. Just keep your answering machine on and screen all calls. After Election Day, all these unwanted calls should end. Good luck...

DW was just complaining about that tonight. We had gotten so used to every call being a good one, now that we are on the do not call list, darn those exceptions for politics and charity!

Here in Virginia, we've been getting election related calls 3 or 4 times a day for the last week or so. I find it extremely annoying. I can't understand why the lawmakers can pass legislation to prohibit telemarketing calls (via the do not call list) but allow these political calls. It makes me not want to vote.

I'm on the Do Not Call list too, but I got one call anyway. I just hung up on it.
I need to remember to let the answering machine pick up first so I can screen calls.

Hmmmm... now those calls for Tuesday's erection make sense!! :eek:

Talk to the machine; it'll listen...

These things are terrible! We've gotten about 5. No hope for the government stopping them -- one of the calls was from Arnold himself.

The do no call list exempts political calls.

Here's what we need to do:

Next year start a grass-roots campaign to have millions of people pledge to not vote for any person or cause who calls them.

I believe you can get the registrar of voters to delete your phone number from the "rolls". The key is to say you have a "stalker". You can get rid of your address too which cuts down on the mail, but it will complicate things when you they try to identify you at the polls when you vote.

becca said:
I can't understand why the lawmakers can pass legislation to prohibit telemarketing calls (via the do not call list) but allow these political calls. It makes me not want to vote.

Protected speech under constitutional amendment # 1.

The proposition system here in CA definitely shows a democratic process that is broken.  A recent California Connected PBS show tried to understand the electricity regulation proposition (80), and was unable to do so, even after meeting with experts.  But many of these things will be voted on by people reading the blurb in the voting booth, or relying on misleading ads.

From my research, I decided that most of those propositions were a good idea, helping the government LBYM.  But the special interest advertising distorted everything, and they didn't stand a chance. 

Back
Top Bottom