Financial Magazines

runnerr

Recycles dryer sheets
I was just curious of what is the favorite of the 5 financial magazines: Forbes Fortune, Smart Money, Money and Kiplinger’s. Or if you would like introduce another. I seem to bounce back and forth.

Runnerr

Field and Stream, Food and Wine, Sunset, Sporting News and for my wife, Oprah's magazine "O".

Seriously, I get better investing advice from those, except the Oprah one, than any other ones i've seen.

MoneySense (Canadian) and Money. The only gripe I have about MoneySense is that it's only issued every two months :rant:

I susbscrbe to Kipliger's. I suspect I would get more out of it if I were more of a mutual fund investor, but it is readable and entertaining.

Better Investing

is easily the best of all those mentioned for investing purposes.

Better Investing

is easily the best of all those mentioned for investing purposes.

agreed, but it is mostly for investment clubs and it used to be a lot better.

The Economist, hands down. All the rest are mostly filler material written to fill up the space between the ads.

HMMM
I like - free - preferibly six month's to a year old - so I can get a good laugh at their advice(usually). Varies depending on the office I'm visiting - doc, dentist, eyes - even the tire store or barbershop.

heh heh heh heh

Long ago ?10+ yrs?? - it was Forbes.

I like the free ones. You can read some financial magazines for free in their archives sections. I do that with a lot of magazines.

Last night on a Cramer repeat, the madman himself was bad-mouthing buy-and-hold... :mad:

Topic for the show: how to speculate... :-\

yakers said:
The Economist. Treat yourself.
Good intelligent writing unlike most American magazines.
Bad politics though - they hate my favorite President and they show it by their biased writing!
And not much financial information - it is general news magazine

1) Kiplingers (by far, and it's cheap $12-15/year)

2) Money

I occasionally buy a mag if something catches my eye while wandering through Barnes and Noble...

On the web, I read CNN/Money, The Economist, Forbes, Business Week, Marketwatch, CNBC, Yahoo Finance, and others that escape me... :confused:

And, of course, e-r org, raddr pages, and retireearly... 8)

Forbes is the only decent one IMHO....BizWeek is a lefty joke, Fortune isn't much better. Money is a good contrary indicator....Kiplinger isn't the best of the rest.

david-in-SC said:
Good intelligent writing unlike most American magazines.
Bad politics though - they hate my favorite President and they show it by their biased writing!
And not much financial information - it is general news magazine

I've always thought they were rather impartial and balanced politically (and I'm on the right!). They do the best job of any major media source of maintaining a neutral stance in their writing. Sometimes they criticize Bush (or other world leaders) but their criticism is presented factually and serves to to inform the reader instead of propagandize and persuade the reader of how incompetent the target of criticism is.

If the financial information you seek is Hot $tock picks or Hot Mutual Fund$ then the economist is definitely the wrong resource. But check it out if you are interested in the global economy and markets and business world.

Funny, i always thought The Economist's politics were a little right of center, but also felt their comments were presented factually, with actual data, very little spin, and like justin felt that any criticism was well warranted.

Huh...factual information with verifiable supporting data and minimum spin...what an alien concept...

I have had a subscription for 25+ years including whilst living in the UK and now the US. In the UK The Economist is very much a 'right'/conservative magazine. In the US they would be considered conservative in that they favor business development. For example they strongly favor free trade and have done so for 150 years now. But they will happily tear apart stupid conservative politicians, which is refreshing.

For economic data see the back of their magazine. Lots of data.

One thing they developed that I think simplifies an analysis of exchange rates is the Big Mac Index" which compares the cost of a Big Mac in most countries. Tells you almost immediately and most accurately whose currency is mispriced. (But not, unfortunately, when the inevitable correction will occur.)

() said:
Funny, i always thought The Economist's politics were a little right of center, but also felt their comments were presented factually, with actual data, very little spin, and like justin felt that any criticism was well warranted.

Huh...factual information with verifiable supporting data and minimum spin...what an alien concept...

Maybe a touch right of center, in that they assume their reader accepts "economics" as the framework in which the world works. To that extent, many of their articles are implicitly or explicitly economics-based (or touch on economic aspects of the underlying story). As opposed to the typical left (or right!) leaning magazine that ignores economic realities in favor of editorialization.

When I first discovered the Economist, it was like a breath of fresh air. No need to figure out what their political take is on things in order to interpret their articles and get at what the truth probably is.

You don't read The Economist, you study it.

It is not the magazine for the masses, no get rich schemes, just illustrating things as the are and pointing out things that may be.

We get the Economist and consider it to be a bit to the right fiscally, but I think it is just mostly the facts and how they relate to history, etc. I like it a lot. I recently passed up the opportunity to get Smart Money for free, just too many magazines (and anyone who knows the Economist knows that it takes a while to read!)

I always thought the Economist was more than a little to the left. I think that was because I kept finding opinions that I agreed with. I haven't read it for a couple of years. I've been actively avoiding news, politics, and religion. It's amazing how much still gets through when you avoid them.

riskaverse said:
I always thought the Economist was more than a little to the left. I think that was because I kept finding opinions that I agreed with. I haven't read it for a couple of years. I've been actively avoiding news, politics, and religion. It's amazing how much still gets through when you avoid them.

News avoidance is a good stress lowering technique!

Its funny what you say about thinking the Economist to the left because you agreed with it because I agree with it a lot too and I'm politically to the left. Its just that during the election they did not support Bush only because of all the debts, etc. they said "with a heavy heart" they endorse Kerry. So... who knows. Maybe its hard to identify because they don't have an agenda, that's refreshing in itself!

Back
Top Bottom