Small Is Beautiful - Redux

Danny

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Remember back in the 70s when we were concerned about the environment.
There was a popular book by Schumacher
Small Is Beautiful

I was reading about how some SUV owners are becoming embarassed by their vehicle and some are looking to "downsize" to a more moderate SUV. :p

Here's a story about how small cars are/going to "flood" our market.
:) My aren't they small!
http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/20/Autos/yaris/index.htm

After surviving a head-on collison, I know I don't want any of those tiny cars. I don't like SUVs or really big tanks either- I draw my line right about >=3000#. If I felt I could afford a sporty larger car, like a BMW M3 0r M5, I would go for it.

Ha

Well, they are not freeway cars, or for use on high speed arteries. But they sure make a lot of difference when speeds are under 55 mph.

The SMART brand in Europe is very popular as an intra-city commuter car and I've seen them everywhere in Europe except on high speed arteries. I would have one for commuting in, for example, London or Paris, etc.

Too many idiots running around America in full size half ton pickups and SUVs.

Once upon a time I would've thought that around 3000-3200 lb was enough car for me, but that's back when 3200 pounds was a V-8 Dart or a downsized V-8 Monte Carlo, Cutlass, etc. These days, 3000 lb isn't much of a car. My uncle has an '03 Corolla, which I think is around 2600 lb, and I almost feel naked and vulnerable when I drive it!

These days though, weights flucutate so much in comparison to interior room. If I were to get a new car, it would probably be a tossup between an Altima and a Charger. They're both about the same size inside, and the Charger's only maybe 6-8 inches longer, but the Charger's probably 3700-4000 pounds depending on engine, whereas the Altima's around 3200-3300 I guess.

AltaRed said:
Well, they are not freeway cars, or for use on high speed arteries. But they sure make a lot of difference when speeds are under 55 mph. 

The SMART brand in Europe is very popular as an intra-city commuter car and I've seen them everywhere in Europe except on high speed arteries. I would have one for commuting in, for example, London or Paris, etc.
I saw these all over Paris.  They looked like you could pick them up and put them in a parking space.  A very practical car for city traffic.

Eagle43 said:
They looked like you could pick them up and put them in a parking space. 
Good for parallel parking, too!

Saw a funny Smart car TV ad here: Smart car is in parking space and the meter is running down.. Clownishly nasty French gendarme is poised to write ticket. Hot babe in second Smart car occupies the second half of the parking space and drops in a coin under the frustrated gendarme's nose/mustache. Voila'!

The great thing is, you can also park them sideways.

rome17.jpg

(this is not my photo.. I stole it from a semi-anonymous person's blog)

gets about 60 mpg

They can go up to 80-85 and I have seen them on the autostrade. I still have my Saab (for safety reasons) but I am sorely tempted. I never like to go anywhere these days unless I KNOW I can find a big enough parking space. The parking situation is extremely unpleasant to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom