My Wife's retirement, week one

laurence

Moderator Emeritus
So she's not fully retired, just putting in 10-15 hours a week strictly from home as a consultant, but for her it feels like it! It was an amazing transformation, from totally stressed and wiped out last Friday and Saturday, to just tired Sunday....and by Wed. she was looking pretty happy. Today was my first Friday off on the new 9/80 schedule, and we went to breakfast and the local diner, Grandpa Allen's. I've haven't seen her so happy and stress free in a long time! We got to talking, and we are thinking maybe, rather than plow money away until I'm 55, that we might save up enough and pay off the house, so that I could go 20 hours a week sooner, say 45. She is really loving semi-retired life already. She's going up to visit friends in the Bay area next week, making a 5 day trip out of it. We are talking a mile a minute, we're very excited about the prospects.

Maybe I just have ADD, but planning for a retirement that's 25 years away is tough to stay focused on. I'm hoping this intermediate goal setting will help. In any case, DW is off the valium and things are looking better!

Good for both of you. Isn't this the whole point of life?

The almighty dollar isn't everything.

Sounds wonderful! Those Fridays off together will be golden for you, I'm sure.

How long have you been married?

CJ

6 years this October. I told her my goal is a 75th wedding bash (I'd have to hit 100, but she'd only be 98).

Laurence said:
6 years this October. I told her my goal is a 75th wedding bash (I'd have to hit 100, but she'd only be 98).

That is just precious :D

Kitty

Sounds like a good plan.

It really helps to be able to make some incremental changes over time that show some progress instead of having to wait X number of years until you can just chuck it all.

John

Laurence said:
....and by Wed. she was looking pretty happy...  We got to talking, and we are thinking maybe, rather than plow money away until I'm 55, that we might save up enough and pay off the house, so that I could go 20 hours a week sooner, say 45.  She is really loving semi-retired life already...  Maybe I just have ADD, but planning for a retirement that's 25 years away is tough to stay focused on.  I'm hoping this intermediate goal setting will help.  In any case, DW is off the valium and things are looking better!

Glad things are working out.

I hear you on the far-off ER goal.  I vascillate between wanting to working FT for 'x' years or chucking it and just working PT after house is paid off.  It's nice to have options, I guess.

great news. i also noticed stress leave me big time when i left work. it really shows there is such a thing as mind over matter (when the mind and matter are ours).

I'm also eyeing the PT work thing at an early age, but I don't think it's realistic for me at this time; not permanently, anyway.

Relieving stress has an enormous effect on one's happiness. Two ladies here at work changed jobs (at different times) and got out from under intense micromanagement into a more laid-back atmosphere. You can see it on their faces and in their demeanor within a week.

Laurence said:
Maybe I just have ADD, but planning for a retirement that's 25 years away is tough to stay focused on. I'm hoping this intermediate goal setting will help. In any case, DW is off the valium and things are looking better!

It's kinda silly to plan that far ahead. I mean we all (well not all) do it, but my life will be so different in 20 years any plans I make now are probably a waste of time. Building the nest egg supports any future decisions, though.

I just love those Fridays off. I wish DH could do the 9/80 thing. Lucky you!

Back
Top Bottom