Can I use a pay-as-you-go phone with my current SIM card?

soupcxan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I currently have a standard cell phone account with Cingular, $40/month for 400 minutes or something like that. I want to get a new phone, but I don't want to have to sign up for another 2 year contract with them (my old contract has run out, so I'm just month-to-month right now...I'm an old AT&T Wireless customer from before Cingular bought them).

My question is, I see that Cingular sells "GoPhones" or pay-as-you-go phones without any contract required. Can I buy one of these phones and just pop the SIM chip from my existing phone into it? Or are the GoPhones locked to only accept pre-paid SIMs? Also, would the fact that my current SIM chip still says "AT&T Wireless" on it be a problem? I'm sure that the GoPhones are locked to prevent you from popping in a T-Mobile SIM, but I'm not sure if they'll work with old AT&T Wireless customers.

I think you have to change SIM cards, but I'm not positive. Usually my cingular guy is only a phone call away, but he left for his honeymoon in Jamaica this morning. Lucky guy.

I think you need a new sim chip in your old phone or the new phone and sim chip.

Also, a lot of new sim chips cost as much as a new phone and new chip, including any switchover fees or other bullpuckey.

Is your old phone a TDMA phone?

By the way, if you call them up and tell them you're going to change carriers because you want a new phone, they might just give you one to keep you on. Keys are if you've been a long time customer, you're worth it for them to keep (in other words you pay a bit every month), and they think you're sincere about leaving. If they think you're fishing, they'll call your bluff.

if it doesnt work with the first CS rep you talk to, try another one...

Sometimes if you're on a cheap plan, they wont do it, but if you agree to upgrade to the next level, without a contract extension, they might kick you a basic phone.

On the other hand, they were giving away Razr's recently to people who would extend for 2 years. Not bad, its a nice phone. My wife loves hers, although I bought it outright for $150 and we use it with tmobile to go minutes.

soupcxan said:
My question is, I see that Cingular sells "GoPhones" or pay-as-you-go phones without any contract required. Can I buy one of these phones and just pop the SIM chip from my existing phone into it? Or are the GoPhones locked to only accept pre-paid SIMs? Also, would the fact that my current SIM chip still says "AT&T Wireless" on it be a problem? I'm sure that the GoPhones are locked to prevent you from popping in a T-Mobile SIM, but I'm not sure if they'll work with old AT&T Wireless customers.

I had the same problem as you. I just ended up getting a phone out off of ebay. I'm not 100% sure, but I think they are locked to only work with Cinguarl. What kind of GoPhone do you want? If it's a Nokia phone, there are free programs off the net that will give you the unlock codes for your phone. I believe the most you'll pay to unlock a phone would be about $20.

I'm going to get a tracfone in about a week so that the guy who bought my business can contact me when I'm away from home.

If one of you guys wants to refer me (we both get free minutes, right?) send me a private message.

By the way, many locked phones can be unlocked at home, and if you're not the techhie type or cant find an unlock, there are a lot of businesses that will unlock your phone and update it to the current firmware for a fairly reasonable price. Many of those also have a lot of phones for sale.

Back
Top Bottom